Diag interface & Software

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:53 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Danz C4
Does anyone have a Hammer handy? Take a look at the connector. I suspect that is an AMP or Cannon connector. Do you see a trademark or name? Some chance it is still available.
The 19-pin connector is AMP. John Speak has been supplying new ones with units he has sold. That makes be think the connector is still available, albeit in kit form where you buy the parts and assemble the connector.

Does your unit read and reset the airbag codes? That one has caused many of us torment, and so far only a real Hammer can reset the airbag light.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one (Top DIY) :-

http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/obdii_hardware.htm

With the link in postion 1. NOT the default position.
I dumped the Male 9 pin PCB connector and hard wired a old DB9 cable in place (NB all pins wired straight through! NOT null modem etc).

Maplins no longer do, or are out of stock of the V24 Female - Female cable
listed on the page above
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi robbed666

Good,that is the one I have been recomending to people who ask me. I was just curious in case you had found another. Good idea with the RS232 connector as it is the wrong sex for normal connection to a PC. Luckily I had a 9f to 25m converter/25f to 25f converter/25m to 9f converter!

Andy Whittaker has a new web shop
http://www.ecufix.com/shop/
but by unfortunate coincidence seem to have dropped this interface! I have sent him an email telling him of possible renewed interrest & also to see if he has a suitable alternative.

Update:- Andy has told me that he hopes to have more interfaces in stock soon and has put it back on the site
http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=183

Pete

Last edited by pncarrerars; 04-13-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"The 19-pin connector is AMP. John Speak has been supplying new ones with units he has sold. That makes be think the connector is still available, albeit in kit form where you buy the parts and assemble the connector"

I contacted the AMP rep and he searched for the connector components worldwide. They are unavailable. You can get the connector pins in bulk. If I remember correctly I looked at a picture of John Speak's connector a couple of years ago and it appeared to be all plastic, so I believe he had the connectors made.

If the interfaces come up for sale again, I might buy one and watch the data as I use my hammer. From that I could write up some new software. (Depending on how busy work is)

Kirk
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Well done Rob nice to see someone else get it working. Think i should make clear. I don't have a problem with someone making a commercial grade product. I would just not like to see that person make potloads from someone elses idea.And charge US a large amount of money for it!!! Anyone who wants to buy or build the interface is free to do so and i'm quite happy to pass on the software to other rennlisters. I have asked Doug and he is happy with this.
One other point, is the connector made by AMP or AMPHENOL?? i think they are two seperate companies and i thought, perhaps wrongly that the 19 pin connector was an Amphenol part??? Which would explain Amp not having them? I have seen very similar connectors in the farnell elctronics catalogue made by both companies.
One question/request for anyone with a hammer, can you possibly bell out the lead and tell me how many cables are connected in the lead. My guess is four!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:22 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Kirk
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Thanks Kirk. Forgot i'd seen that.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been reading this thread with great interest and anticipation!

I would LOVE to make one of these testers for my own use, but let me state that I am a Civil and Mechanical engineer with limited electrical and electronic skills (but I have built and fixed a number of computers in the past).

Can one of you kind Rennlisters delineate what parts and software are required, and if possible, where we could obtain the items?

From what I read, here is my take on parts:
LAPTOP (with Serial Port)
Program software
Serial cable (25 pin male to 9 pin male?)
Interface Card (buyout)
19 pin connector (or just 4 bare wires stuck into the car's plug)

Any and all specifics for us laymen would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
pncarrerars
Instructor

In reply to LouZ & others who have asked. You need 4 things, PC with serial port, software, interface, connector.

The PC is up to you.

The software that you need was written by Doug Boyce (DougB) near the top of the tread that you were reading. I am trying to contact him to see if I have his permission to distribute his software. Until I have please try contacting him directly. It runs on a PC & need a serial port which is not always available on new ones.

For the interface you need ISO OBD-II / VAGCOM 3.x RS232 Opto Interface by Andy Whittaker or similar. Andy has told me that he hopes to have more interfaces in stock soon and has put it back on the site. It is supplied ready built & just needs pins/plug attaching to the flying leads. Also there is a link on the board that should be moved from the default N position to the A position.
http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=183

The 19 pin connector is available from John Speake but is £50. Being so bulky & expensive I just obtained the correct pins (Farnell 105-494 or RS 466-977 I think) which are a good fit & only take a few seconds to insert in the socket in the car. There are only 4 connections 0v-10, 12v-13, K-8, L-7

Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anybody have a listing of what functions the software will test or reset such as idle, airbag etc. I assume from what I read it wont do the C4 specific functions.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:47 PM
pncarrerars
Instructor

In reply to jimq

Read/clear trouble codes, read ECU inputs, read actual values, Adaption, Test outputs just like a "hammer". Covers Motronic, ABS/Traction control, SRS Air bag, Climate control. Does not do C4 diff bleed stuff.

I have not tested ABS or air bag as my car does not have them but everything for Motronic & climate control works fine. I would have posted screen shots but I cant find where I kept them.

Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to try to put one of these together so if the author of the software gives the green light how can we get a copy? I assume it will work on an XP window based system. i do have a 9 pin plug on my notebook so will need the interface when available and I guess connecting pins until a suitable connector is found.
It great that you guys took the time to figure this out.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The Scantool Software (Doug's) does not do the idle adaptation. There is an option for it, but I don't believe it was fully implemented. It does work with XP Pro (I've run it on W2K, and XP).
Old 04-13-2006, 02:15 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

For those who are interested, here is a rough schematic of the KTS300.

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
kts300.pdf (66.8 KB, 511 views)
Old 04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
DougB
Advanced

Hey, this is really great!

Pete, feel free to distribute the software. I'll work on getting a copy on the web for distribution--at some point.

The software can:

• Read/Clear fault codes for the Motronic ECU, air bag, climate control and PDAS.
• Run actuator tests for Motronic. This is a test that cycles the different actuators such as the resonance flap and fuel injectors. During the test you’re expected to listen for the actuators clicking on and off.
• Display values from the Motronic’s analog inputs such as the voltage from the air flow meter and temp sensors.
• Display the state of the Motronic’s idle and wide open throttle switches.
• Display Motronic’s actual operating parameters such as rpm and load. Practically all of the operating parameters are available but I believe the version of the software that’s currently out there has a limited list of parameters.
• Display Motrinic’s high/low range AFR trim values along with a live O2 sensor signal.
• Display the state of the PDAS traction control switch.

What it can not do:
• Bleed the PDAS system.
• Operate the transverse and longitudinal locks.
• Display ‘knock counts.’ This isn’t really a diagnostics feature. It’s implemented separately with a +12 volt pulse signal.

There are also some functions that are specific to my car along with some datalogging capabilities that work along with a LabJack analog to digital converter. I believe I hid all this stuff in the version that some of you guys have.

-doug

Quick Reply: Diag interface & Software