Sponsored by:

964 Rear Blower p/n

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 964 Rear Blower p/n

I posted this information deep inside another thread on this topic, but here it is again, to make it easier for others to find it.

I bought a new, replacement rear blower motor from Vertex a couple of years ago for $99. Shortly afterward, they raised the price to $119. The motor was made by Bosch (who else?), and was p/n 0-130-111-145-000.

I recall trying to source the motor from an aftermarket Bosch source at the time, and even then it was priced at least double what Vertex supplied it for. I don't know whether Vertex still carries it. or what they charge for it anymore.

Interestingly, my old motor was fine except for the ID of the front bushing being worn oval. I recall having seen someone make a replacement bushing from bronze, and at a time when I had "nothing to do", I modded my old motor with a sealed ball bearing.

The mod was a lot of work and it worked fine. However, since I'd bought a new motor, I installed the new one and never used the one I modded.

.. Gregg
Old 01-21-2007, 12:17 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious if anyone else out there has been able to mod the bearing at the front of the blower motor. Reading several posts going back a few years it seems that the motors themselves are fine, it's just that small bearing at the front that goes on us.

My motor screams like a banshee now because that front bearing is worn. Shame to drop $400 on a complete replacement when all that needs fixin is that bearing.

Maybe there is an SKF (or other brand) number on that bearing - probably not, too small. Gregg, do you recall a part number for the small ball bearing replacement you used or the inner and outer diameters?

I've also noticed that a few places offer just the motor for about 1/3 of the complete assembly, but just for the rear blower. Will that motor fit in the LH or RH front blower motor position?

frank
Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 AM
frankvan
Pro

sorry, me again.

just went to the Bosch Electric Motor web page and they don't list that part number.
http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co...ellnummern.htm

But it appears to fit into the "DPD" series of motors. (yes, I don't don't what that means either but it sounds kind of cool techno geek-ish).

So yet another question (i'm full of them tonight) - does anyone know the Bosch part no's for the two front blower motors?

Thanks again (and again, and again...)

frank
Old 01-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear blower motor

[I bought a new, replacement rear blower motor from Vertex a couple of years ago for $99. Shortly afterward, they raised the price to $119. The motor was made by Bosch (who else?), and was p/n 0-130-111-145-000.]

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/271944-rear-blower-motor.html
I posted the above thread a few months ago-I sourced the part (Bosch part number included) from Bosch Germany by ordering it from Bosch Australia - it cost somewhere around AUD$130 and took about 4 weeks for delivery.
The part is available and it was exactly the same as the orginal motor. Any problem with this PM me
Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Try this link
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
frankvan
Pro

Question

I am wondering if that motor can be fitted into either of the front blower motor positions. I'm going out on a limb assuming that the three fan motors (1 rear and 2 front) are more or less the same bosch motor. I do notice in some of the other threads however that the two copper coloured tabs come out at different angles on the front motors.

This link has pics of the rear motor with and without the fan attached:
http://replacement.autopartswarehous...Motor&dp=false

One last question, is there a connector outside the fan housing where you can disconnect power to the fan so you don't cause any more damage to it? It seems from the posts that the wiring connections are inside the housing. I'm curious how well the climate control works on just one fan if you block off the the other one.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

I finally got my C2 to the shop and will attempt to remove and replace (if necessary) the front blower motors. Can anyone tell me what the rear blower motor does? The fuse is popping even with the engine turned off so I suspect an open ground. Any suggestions as to the best (as in cheapest) way to rectify this situation?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For unknown reasons, I have not been getting notifications of new messages in this thread, until today.

The Bosch number for the motor I got from Vertex is as follows:
- 0 130 111 145 000

This happens to be the same as the one stamped into the original motor, and when I checked local suppliers, I was told that it was not available through regular Bosch channels. Only one vendor quoted a price, which was twice the Vertex number.

The bearing that goes bad is a sintered iron bushing at the drive end. It's ID goes oval from wear, and if you let it go, the armature will eventually rub on the magnets ... not good.

In my experiment, I drilled out the spot welds that hold the bushing retainer to the motor, and machined an aluminum housing to install a standard 6003 (IIRC) ball bearing in its place. I bolted the aluminum housing to the motor housing with four 4.40 screws in place of the former spot welds.

Hope this helps someone,
.. Gregg
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Slightly OT but does anyone know what fuse is for the rear blow. I don't see it listed on the inside cover of the box.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is the top one. I know it is a 30 amp one, as I had to pull it yesterday when the rear blower motor decided to do it's best impression of a blender. Lots of fun at 8 degrees.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:29 PM
frankvan
Pro

Some pics from Gregg in Ottawa. If you've read the beginning of the thread he's replaced the bearing behind the squirrel cage with a sealed bearing type (vice the sintered bronze or whatever Bosch used). He believes the bearing used was a 608Z with an 8mm inner diameter. This might be a fix that can save alot of $$$ and headaches as the sealed bearing should outlast the car....

First pic is a modification he used on a puller to remove the squirrel cage
Second pic is an impressive pic of a worn original bearing. I believe that most of our motors are fine, it's just the bearing at the front that wears out. (so once again a $4 part causes a $500 failure)

Last edited by frankvan; 10-30-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 964 Rear Blower p/n