Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random 964 Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

I would say it's virtually impossible to tell how the tire blew up from an instagram pic after it was driven on flat for two miles. It's also possible a tear in the sidewall occurred during mounting since it was an old tire.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
blah
I meant shorter not taller my mistake. My stock size isnt 255/40/17 its 225/50/60.

If you are all that worried about rolling diameter breaking things
I suggest you buy new tires every week so that your diameter is perfect to you.

The 235/35/18 is stock size on diablos for the front. So if it was too skinny on the side wall I dont think it would be an oem size for any car. Be that supercar or normal car. The wheel isnt cracked and still isnt after driving to a petrol/gas station. After blowing out on the highway the tire was done so who can really say why it went. Unless you had a camera on my car watching my drivers side rear wheel and tire.

It has to zero do with stretch. 235/35 is recommend for 8 to 9.5 width wheels. If you would like to argue on that I suggest you take it up with tire manufactures and tell them how they are wrong and you are right.

Again do I care? nope . Did I bring this up? nope. Im safe car is safe I got my money back. Yet you are still all moaning. Like gezzzzz.

Some of you keep saying its your own car do what you want. Ok then stop moaning then that is was a 235/35 and not what you yourself think it should of been.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I would say it's virtually impossible to tell how the tire blew up from an instagram pic after it was driven on flat for two miles. It's also possible a tear in the sidewall occurred during mounting since it was an old tire.

Are you saying that isn't stretched??

I had a friend who got a set of rotiforms and tires from Drew Dorbritz, who I'm thinking the VW guys may have heard of. The friend said specifically not to choose a stretched tire size, but sure enough it came back with tires that the friend and I both saw as stretched. Drew said they weren't. I think part of the disagreement here is based in the opinion of what is stretched or not.

To me, if shoulder angle is anything greater than 90 degrees, the tire is stretched. Did that cause the blowout (the one on the car, not the one here on the board)? No. Does it matter to anyone else what tires you're running on your wheels? No.

I'll let you guys debate the rest...
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyvw
I meant shorter not taller my mistake. My stock size isnt 255/40/17 its 225/50/60.

If you are all that worried about rolling diameter breaking things
I suggest you buy new tires every week so that your diameter is perfect to you.

The 235/35/18 is stock size on diablos for the front. So if it was too skinny on the side wall I dont think it would be an oem size for any car. Be that supercar or normal car. The wheel isnt cracked and still isnt after driving to a petrol/gas station. After blowing out on the highway the tire was done so who can really say why it went. Unless you had a camera on my car watching my drivers side rear wheel and tire.

It has to zero do with stretch. 235/35 is recommend for 8 to 9.5 width wheels. If you would like to argue on that I suggest you take it up with tire manufactures and tell them how they are wrong and you are right.

Again do I care? nope . Did I bring this up? nope. Im safe car is safe I got my money back. Yet you are still all moaning. Like gezzzzz.

Some of you keep saying its your own car do what you want. Ok then stop moaning then that is was a 235/35 and not what you yourself think it should of been.
I don't recall saying "Blah"

Irrespective of it being a 225/60/15 or a 255/40/17 these are the only approved stock sizes from Porsche for a reason. There are thousands of threads on this subject but of course none of them have any merit because you know better.

As pointed out Porsche has written numerous TSB's on the subject of tire sizes and wheels approved for a reason. Just because it works on a diablo (I have a friend with one and he has lots of tire issues) might not necessarily work on another. Not all tires measure the same as the numbers say. A 295 MPS2 measures the same width as a 285 Pzero. Sidewalls all vary and many factors come into play.

I just shared that I have blown tires in a similar fashion with a taller sidewall than you are using and yet you seem to feel there is no correlation between sidewall height and tire/wheel damage. I know a lot of people in the tires business that would love to have you as a customer.

Obviously you don't care and your mind is made up. However the 12 years I have spent on this forum its members were all about educating and sharing sage advice that can be used by all. Suddenly we have thrown all of that out of the window and anything goes. If there was a reason why this tire failed that has something to do with what Porsche has spent a small fortune evaluating I think it would be worth discussing. If you want to blame the tire manufacturer that is up to you.

Wasn't looking for an argument or an insult. I wasn't trying to do anything more than share my experiences which clearly have proven to me that sidewall plays a huge factor in increased damage potential. Please just keep on ignoring what Porsche has weighed all the pros and cons about obviously you know better.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Not every tire is the same, some tires are more square than others. The pic I posted, while not having a totally vertical sidewall, is within spec and personally I would not call that stretched or unsafe by any means. Myself and many of my friends have driven tens of thousands of miles in countless cars with similar sidewall profiles over the last 15 or so years and never had an issue.

If you have no personal experience with it, then why offer a useless opinion was my point in all of this. There is no harm being done to anybody's car whether they are running a 235 on a 9" or 295 on a 10" - end of story.

Why Frank feels compelled to be such a confrontational ***** with people he doesn't even know is a better question.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyvw
If you would like to argue on that I suggest you take it up with tire manufactures and tell them how they are wrong and you are right.

Originally Posted by Vegas993
If you have no personal experience with it, then why offer a useless opinion was my point in all of this. There is no harm being done to anybody's car whether they are running a 235 on a 9" or 295 on a 10" - end of story.

Why Frank feels compelled to be such a confrontational ***** with people he doesn't even know is a better question.

I've read posts from both Frank and Anthony supporting individual personal preference for our cars. They're also huge contributors to this community having close to 2,000 and 12,000 posts respectively. I think most of us would agree and appreciate their insight and knowledge on these cars is very helpful to many of us and especially their support for new members. They can hold their own and are open to and even enjoy a healthy debate, and I know you guys love these cars as much as the rest of us. Just sayin a little more respect would go a long way.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Then why not save the good information for the people that seek it and leave out the petty jabs at those you don't agree with?

That would be an upstanding forum member, not an arrogant ***** that incites arguments for no reason other than to attract attention to himself, which clearly he thrives on.

The love of Porsches is why we're all here, it shouldn't matter to anybody what we do with our personal cars.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If that pic that Vegas posted is what members around here consider " stretched" then add me to the offenders list.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more pictures... less debate
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Prbc4
Rennlist Member

"Elise" on her way to mechanic
Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Prbc4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prbc4
"Elise" on her way to mechanic
Tires are not stretched but are dry rotted!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the story with that car?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Those look to be Folger wheels, pretty cool and rare.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:01 AM
sparkyvw
Rennlist Member

Cobalt.

I said blah as I didnt want to just re post every thing you said. In fact I think black betty did that to me earlier with "blah". Could be wrong but I think he did.

This is going to get super pathetic right now but you seem to like it.

Lets get something straight right now. You just said 225/60/16 and a 255/40/17 are the only approved stock tires from porsche and that porsche has spent a small fortune evaluating whats right for our cars. Now I know im stupid and all. But black betty who started this if you go look at his thread for his car is trying to find 18 ruf wheels for his car. Now I am going to be AMAZED when he fits either a 225/60/16 or a 255/40/17 on a 18 inch wheel. Like amazed world 1st. He also says people on here run a 265 rear tire. Well you just said the approved tires from porsche and I dont see 265. So the person who started this whole stupid thing who is giving advice is also in the wrong? right? Also when I was at players classic at goodwood. His car was there on im sure 18 inch wheels. He even went on the track. So here someone is trying to give me advice that I didnt ask for because im not using what porsche says and im going to damage a whole list of parts that he said. Yet hes also not on the approved porsche sizes on a track pushing or should be pushing his car to the limits. OK. And im in the wrong?

I NEVER asked anyone on here for advice. I never posted my own instagram picture on here and asked anyone why the tire blew did I? so dont say to me its because I know better. No its because I never asked anyone for advice on here about the tire. Obviously the reason why he posted it is because he wanted to prove that stretch and using a tire out of manufactures specs is wrong and dangerous. But its not out of tire manufactures specs is it? so once he knew that then he had to start about the diameter of the tire. Which again I didnt ask about.

But yet im the ******* here and I dont respect you guys right? For some reason you think im a 17 year old kid and the 964 is my 1st car. Or 1st performance car or 1st time changing tires on a car. Look I get it the diameter is off the sidewall isnt as tall etc etc etc. But did I ask for advice on why my tire blew? or what size tire I should use? NOPE I did not. I didnt know my 964 was owned by you all. Ill go to the dmv tomorrow and put all your names on the title.

If you are honestly that worried about only running what porsche approved on your car or other peoples cars as thats what you are making such a huge deal of. You better have no after market parts on your car. Suspension air filter brakes etc etc etc. You could carry on for days. Which means about 80% of owners on here or anyone who has anything after market on there car is also going against what porsche recommend. Yet we have had what 3 pages now were I am the only person whos wrong.

Mixter
Maybe they should respect me. And when I want advice ill ask for it. I didnt post about my tire someone else did. I didnt ask why it blew. I didnt ask about anything. Yes maybe they do know more about these car and they most likely do. But I clearly did not ask for advice. This is a thread about pictures of 964s. Not a thread of lets post a picture from someones ig try blame it on stretch and have a huge debate about what is factory approved or not. Im sure with the way he is. He was most likely laughing at the fact that my tire blew with the way he has been on here.

Now can we get back onto pictures please

Last edited by sparkyvw; 01-31-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Random 964 Picture Thread