Sponsored by:

EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:59 PM
bwoodry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST

Considering changing my exhaust system from stock to other.

Recommendations?

Headers, Pipes , Cat Converter bypass,

Brands etc?

Please advise...

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of threads can be found by searching.

What are you after? What is your budget? How averse to an increase in noise are you?

I think that there are people here with most combinations who can give you an opinion on their setup.

I have a g-pipe (secondary muffler bypass - Dask) and I am getting a high-flow cat (also Dansk). The g-pipe adds a more authoratative grumble at idle and is certainly louder under load but I like it. May not be for all tastes through - especially cabs.

Marc
Old 12-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much more exhaust sound do you want? Almost any change brings more sound (I use the term "sound" instead of "noise"). I have very limited experience with trying various combinations, but have read reports from others. My RSA had stock headers (although they're not so great), cat by-pass, primary muffler by-pass, and cone air filter instead of the OE airbox. It was definately louder, but not intrusive. I liked it, and many others commented that it made a glorious sound heard from outside the car. Apparently this was a popular combination, at least 8 years ago. You may have to decide which muffler to by-pass; the primary (across the rear end) or the secondary (right side). Some have reported that the former gave a bit more hp, while the latter gave a bit more torque. The former also apparently lightend the rear end more, and more evenly. By-pass both and you get a very loud noise. If I were doing it now, I might use the Cup airbox with OE air filter instead of using the cone air filter, or just cut down the OE airbox like the Cup airbox.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Fabspeed makes a fantastic product, top fit and finish.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:33 PM
chayten
Advanced

hi,ive got a roock cat-by-pass on my car which was fitted when the car was purchased,the car sounds awesome imo (not to loud but a nice grumble), thanks chayten
Old 12-03-2005, 02:35 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Just a bit of advice, for what it’s worth. Exhaust systems do not come cheap, especially an air-cooled 911/964, I’m sure you’re aware of that. Assuming your present original factory system is not perforated, why spend a small fortune on that ,when there is perhaps something else, on the verge of critical or radical on the horizon. If it’s for looks, let me show you what my 14 year old son Christopher, did last year,..It still looks the same, and this was done in a few hours. The aft silencer was like new when finished, and it’s original date of, 07/91 indicates it’s far from being new. It will live on!!..Thanks to,... Long live the electric drill, with a hard rotating nylon brush, made for paint removal or varnish stripper,..."" DO NOT USE ONE THAT IS METAL!!!"" After, hand applied metal polish and,....Zoom, zoom, zoom, because it looks new, you’ll swear it even sounds better, and it did!!.. "This worked for me,. Perhaps it will not work for you",...Good luck...

PS. where’s some pics of your 911/964?.. Would love to see it....

Old 12-03-2005, 02:43 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Gary: Fabspeed is hard to beat. Go for the dual outlet.
Cat bypass: Dansk

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/449399/1
Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

ramone, finally after three years I understand your photograph, great shot,...As usual!!..All the best from Chris and me, have a good weekend,.. Marc
Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

I agree Fabspeed dual outlet muffler is the best!!! Great sound and it replaces the stock muffler and the Secondary muffler. Less weight and great quality product. My $0.02 worth!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

w/o cams, true headers won't give you much more than just freeing up flow through the existing pipes

A cat bypass and muffler of your choice are the best bang for the buck

For a little more, that costs a lot more, use headers

If you want heat B&B headers or stock 993 headers(w/ reversed passenger side flanges) can be used.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If you want heat B&B headers or stock 993 headers(w/ reversed passenger side flanges) can be used.
How hard is it to reverse the flanges?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Fabspeed. Converting from single to dual outlet these days. Got the new left fender piece from FDV yesterday...just needs painting.

Fabspeed is a nice product, well made and nice to look at, just what a Porsche needs.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

How hard is it to reverse the flanges?
993 flange swap
Old 12-03-2005, 07:41 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Marc A, I just used one of those nylon brushes on my exhaust tip today, very happy with the result.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

the stock 964 set-up has an inherently lumpy sound due to the design of the header/heat exchangers. no matter what you do with the mufflers it sounds lumpy....some people like it. i didn't so...... since a significant part of the "experience" is sound, I opted for a header system.

the sound from my GHL set-up is totally different than the stock system. it's pretty much what I was looking for except it has a resonance from 2500 to 2900 rpms. i choose the GHL set-up because it supposedly does increase HP. i can't really tell but I will be dynoing my car in a week.

as far as the resonance is concerned, i'm going to try a smaller diameter tail pipe pointed differently.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST