Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll ask all of the basic questions on this thread:

What is resonance?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is also for GHL - I gained 17rwhp with mine - although its not on the car anymore. It is for sale though once I get around to putting it on Ebay.....
Old 12-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

bwoodry- check out this site for some samples of exhaust sounds.
ftp://go-create.homeip.net/
username rennlist
password rennlist

c
Old 12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Don't believe ridiculous claims of added HP for a muffler change. Even if you go to tuned headers on out without other changes the gain is moot.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

when i refer to resonance i mean the sound level in the car increases to undesireable levels probably due to constructive interference of acoustic waves with something....could be a lot of things...who knows what. i need to listen to the car from the outside (with someone else driving) and see if i can hear it ....to determine if it is starting at the tailpipe or if it is coupling thru the structure of the car
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't believe ridiculous claims of added HP for a muffler change. Even if you go to tuned headers on out without other changes the gain is moot.
Muffler change only - agreed. The GHL though added power and torque right across the range, this was verified on a dyno over here by an independent.....I was as surprised as they were...!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

resonance. everything has a natural frequency at which natural damping forces (energy losses are great) are overcome by an increase in energy amplitude. one tries to adjust the natural frequency by means of mass or stiffness out of the normal operating range. one hears this in exhaust sysems as you increase rpm there may be an rpm setting where the combined natural frequency is hit and you get vibration in the system and significant sound. go beyond that rpm and vibration and sound amplitude from the exhaust goes down.

Last edited by stevepaa; 12-05-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Hey Steve, that was the best explanation I’ve ever read on "resonance", what about a simple perforation in the aft silencer, I going to drill a hole in it, to verify these reasoning’s!! Were you able align your squirters okay, sorry for not having a ruler in inches,. Send me a photo one day,. All the best,
Old 12-05-2005, 04:50 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Hi Marc, I need to get all the pieces before I have a chance to add the squirters. If you want to get rid of resonance, you need to find the offending piece. Have someone rev it to the resonance RPM and then go around and push with the bottom of a shoe on various parts to find it. Sometimes you can add another support strap to it and alter its frequency. Sometimes a simple addition of a metal strip welded onto it will do it. I would not expect a hole to really do much, you either need to alter the stiffness of the metal pieces or make an addition inside to affect the ascoustic waves. You may get another whistle created due to Helmhotz principle by adding a hole..
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

that gives me an idea...i have some band clamps that will fit around the muffler... (i think the resonance is the outer skin of the muffler). that should effect at least a change in the responce.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:08 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Yes, that should work. Do it and tells us what happened. It should force the frequency higher.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

band clamp around the middle of the muffler seems to have reduced the amplitude. it did not change the frequency...at least it seems so. it's a subtle change but i think it did change.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST