Sponsored by:

Drove my first 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:57 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Drove my first 911

In my quest to get a 911 for myself, I was finally able to take one out for a spin and experiance what you guys already are well aware of.

It was a 91 964 Cab with 82k miles on it.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...=en&cardist=90

It was a tiptronic so I was not really interested in this car. The ad says that they are trying to sell it for 25k. When I got there and after I drove it they reduced the price to about $21k without me even haggling. They said they had the car for a while and was probably desparate to get rid of it. They had no records or knew the history of the car.

It looked pretty good on the website but the actual car was a lot to be desired. The leather was cracked, the carpets were dirty and the front tires did not match the rears, the power seats did not move very much while someone was in the seat, not to mention some rust in the engine room (behind the reflector area). I also noticed what looked like an oil leak on the passanger side of the engine on some hoses. I played around with all the buttons, and things to make sure everything works and for the most part it seemed like it did. I would not have bought this car even for the $21k they were asking. I think its worth a lot less and needs a few buck to make it look real good.

Anyway, this being my first 911 experiance, I was pleasantly surprised by how responsive the car was with the tiptronic. I guess that the manual car would be much better. Even though it had 82k miles on it the steering was real direct. A little bit of input resulted in almost telepathic changes in direction. The brakes felt pretty strong although it did take a second or two to get used to the way Porsche hinges the pedals. I took it on the highway and while cruising, I down shifted to 3rd and man I did not realize that I had accelerated from 70 to 100 that quick. The engine/exhaust sounded great when was on the throttle.

After returing the car to the dealer, I walked away with a smile on my face and now am beginning to understand the mystique behind the 911. The 911 feels and sounds so different than all the so many other cars I have driven (M3,Corvette,Mustang,S2000,Boxter,etc). The 911 fits like a glove and everything in the car is simple, not many things to go wrong (electronic doo dads).

I definatly need to try out a coupe with an MT. I don't really like messing around with dealers like this, but there was no other way for me to get this invaluable experiance with this car.

I just thought I would share this with you guys. I can't wait till I get my own.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the world of 911's. Once you have a good test drive and like it, there is no turning back.

My first real test drive in a 964 was a 1991 C2 coupe with a Tiptronic. It's a great transmission if you need an automatic. It's been written many times that it's Porsche's most reliable transmission.

Your test drive is probably pretty common to a lot of people. Find a used 911 on a dealer lot that you aren't really all that interested in. Scam a test drive and get some more seat time to see if you really like these cars.

I like the color combo on the car in the link. $21k would not be a bad price if everything checked out O.K. However, it appears this car needs some work and cleaning.

Good Luck!

Jay
90 964
Old 11-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It is very addictive, isn't it?

People often ask me - why a P-car? Why a 964? Then they drive it.

Last guy I let drive my car still can't get the grin off his face and is already looking for his own 964!

Marc
Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Enjoy the search. Don't think that a particular car you've found is the only one out there. There are plenty to go around so get the one you want. If it doesn't seem right then walk. The right car will come along so just take your time and have fun driving them.

c
Old 11-28-2005, 05:12 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

I don’t know what your preferences are but perhaps, that something inside us that says’ ""Yeah that’s the one, grab it!"" That counts for a lot but that’s, not everything! Welcome to the World of Used Porsches! For these amounts of money and dreams, certain details must be clear or stay away. ""AS SOON AS THERE’S NOT A COMPLETE A-Z HISTORY, SAY BYE-BYE, AND FORGET YOUR HEART, IT’S BEEN WRONG BEFORE!!"" In vane I started a thread which was meant to help guys like you, the idea was to provide lots of info on what to look out for, but very few were willing to help! Check it out, ""please"" re-post it, there are just far too many mystery 911/964’s on the market, help those that are in the same boat (that should read 964), as you. Maybe more will help our soon to be, Pals!! Keep contact, ask us here, we all have our experiences and I for one, thought about people like you,....Good fishing!....AND NEVER BUY A USED CAR IN THE RAIN!!..........Oh yeah go to: Page 4, WHEN BUYING A USED PORSCHE,....

ps. All the aft red reflectors are a diff. colour?.... Maybe an OUCH?....On the 964 that you show?....
Old 11-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I don't really like messing around with dealers like this, but there was no other way for me to get this invaluable experiance with this car."
A cousin came down from washington , she wanted to go shopping for a car , she went to all sorts of dealers , she drove cars that she would never be able to buy , it was great fun . Better than a day at disney . Dealers show cars , dealers let you drive the cars , thats what they do for a living , no big deal . I've gone to dealers and driven a few cars I just wanted to try . Its nice to read about cars but driving them is better .
Old 11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Funny you say that, I used to sell imported cars in NYC, until one day it was BYE-BYE! Sometimes the clients took me for a drive, no sell, no eat, it's a tough world on the showroom floors, I still remember those, Magic Moments. But even car salesmen bleed,....I used to sell Porsche in NYC,..
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I worked the counter at a camera store , showed , talked , explaned cameras lens flashes . Some bought , some didn't . The only people that bugged me were the ones who asked a million questions , then bought mail order , then came back with the new gear and asked more questions .
Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Same thing for me - people come to my office, ask all sorts of questions about the surgery and then go home and do it themselves.

Marc
Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Do they ever come back and ask more questions ?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Way back in college, I used to sell pro audio equipment at a music store. Like Indy, the guys that bugged me the most would come in, look at something, then ask 8 million questions about what gear they should be using and then another 8 million questions about how they should set their gear up. I'd show 'em stuff and then give them good pricing. They'd balk stating the new stuff was just out of their price range. Then, they'd be back the following week asking more questions about the used poweramp they just bought two days ago at some other store... I used to hate it, but tolerated it thinking maybe someday they'd remember the good service I gave them and come back and buy something...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

When they came back , I'd get to refilling the film racks , ask them about customer service at the mail order shop , or just forget everything I ever knew . A.H . tax .
Old 11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some say Porsches are like having kids - you can never understand what it's like until you have them. :-)
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your time looking,and try as many as you can.Buy the car on condition and service history.
Tiptronics seem to have less problems than manual cars.
If your buying on a limited budget make sure the mechanicals are tip top the interior can be done bit by bit when you have the money.
Good luck!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Check out
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forum...s=&forumid=240

Best to buy from someone who took care of it and has all the service records to show . I didn't and I rebuilt the engine. I had fun, but it was a long time doing.

Quick Reply: Drove my first 911