Sponsored by:

Friday- what have you learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:44 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Friday- what have you learned

Well, I have a secret, but I can tell you a little about it. I belong to the Milwaukee Chapter of PCA, and elections for the board came up. I threw my name in just to see what happened. There are 4 positions open, and 4 names on the ballot. I'm sure I can tell you this, but I can't tell you the rest.

I started to assemble parts for my suspension change; Racing Dynamics strut brace, H&R Turbo Springs, Bilstein HD shocks/struts and sway bar swap from Puma. I have the springs and strut brace in my grubby little hands; waiting for the shocks and sway bar before I make my change. hope to have it all ready to assemble by next weekend. I should slam the car about 1.5 inches front, and 1.3 rear. I can't wait.

That's all for now... how about you?
Old 11-11-2005, 08:51 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I have the flu.........bummer.

kevin
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk... Congrats in advance... Kevin, sorry to hear about the flu... Take the pill in your avatar 3 times daily!

Hmmm... What have I learned? I've learned a little more about contract negotiation! I've also learned that my "cat-like" reflexes went away with my aching joints... My wife and I were on a road trip early in the week in the garage queen. I heard her breathe in sharply and then saw the huge rock that was headed for my windshield! There was no time to react... There was nothing I could have done anyway... The "boulder" hit my windshield with a crash, shattering an area a little larger than a silver dollar. There is no way it can be repaired... maybe disguised a little... But I need a new windshield.

Anyone know of a good place in the Baltimore area?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I have the flu.........bummer.
kevin
You dont have a sudden craving for bird seed do you
Hope you feel better soon

I am happy cuz its a beautiful top down day and i am off work before noon. Got all the ducks in a row to order my lift next week thanks to consulting with Jaime on the delivery methods. Hope to see BIC and Wachuko (Jaime) at the Rally tomorrow and any other Rennlisters in the area.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

What have I learned… well, more of a reminder to not let time pass by without telling your close friends and family how much you love them. My uncle passed away Tuesday morning, but I had a chance to see him in the hospital while he was still alive and being his good old self. No more pain, exhaustion or wondering or guilt about leaving. Surrounded by family physically and mentally as he said good-bye. A nice way to go to a better place.

From the experience this morning… I am glad I stick to driving at speed limit. I floored the car from a stoplight all the way to the speed limit and then cruised from that point on… the Nissan that was left way behind did an effort to catch up only to be stopped by the traffic cop waiting on the next intersection…

Beautiful day to drive top down here in Orlando, FL. I see that Jim is doing the same.

And Jim, check your calendar, I think the event is Sunday, not tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:22 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

oops! Thanks Jaime!
Sorry to hear about your uncle.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 AM
jdodson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick - Sorry to hear about your windshield. I had a similar experience about a year ago. Was returning from a lacrosse game at Princeton traveling south on I-95 north of Philadelphia. It was around 10 at night, and I saw the BMW in front of me swerve violently to the right. I had no time to react before hitting a truck retread (alligator) in the middle of the road. It wasn't a partial - it was the the full retread. It passed beneath the drivers side and took the license plate and bracket, the left driving light and the left turn signal with it. Have some ugly photos, but haven't got the hang of inserting phots yet.

Had an interesting week with the P-car. Despite parking in the most distant parking spots, I still managed to pick up a few small dings. This week I tried the "paintless dent removal" guy. He was fantastic. I had never seen the process before. He came to the house with an assortment of long thin rods of varying lengths and sizes - all had ends that were bent into a large hooked shape. He was able to insert the rods behind the various body panels through weep holes on the bottom of the doors or through window slots to get the hook directly behind the ding. By turning the rod he could apply very gentle pressure with the end of the hook and force out the ding - nothing broken or scratched. Surprisingly the body metal was very maleable and required very little force to repair. I was fascinated watching the process and am now ding free!

Jim
Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

My business partner took me for a ride on his new Harley this morning. I learned that you should spit sideways.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Syd B.
My business partner took me for a ride on his new Harley this morning. I learned that you should spit sideways.
OMG!! Too funny!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Jamie; sorry to hear about your uncle. Glad you got to say your good-byes before he passed.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

I’m a happier man today, Friday, Nov. 11/05, because for the first time in my life, I’m enjoying my Porsche, on a platform with a bunch of good people who can talk Porsche, can read Porsche, can write Porsche, and can even joke with each other without foul language and without ride page sabotaging. My Thanks to you guys and gals,. Also today, my Remembrances to the so very many who have gone not knowing,....
Marc A.

Last edited by AGNEW, Marc; 11-11-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stupid center reflector still fills up with water everytime it rains. I thought I had it fixed, but it is full again. Takes weeks to dry out. I guess I need to pop for a new one.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I also learned I hate punks. I thought I was getting a Racing Dynamics Strut brace from a decent person for a decent price. What I got is ripped. I got a brace all right, but for an M3, not a Porsche 964. I hate punks!!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"center reflector still fills up with water"
leak-ender-2000
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages...2000.html?gid=
Old 11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I learned all about the uniqueness of my '89 C4s suspension setup compared with '91+. I learned that there is a PSS9 kit for this car, but only in Europe, and it's at LVD. I learned that even Bilstien USA does not know about it. I learned that Steve at Rennsport has 993 PSS9's that also work and are cheaper. I learned all about how one can create a home grown suspension setup using Bilstien Cup shocks and pick your own spring rate. Smartracing has lots of parts if one wants to do this. I also learned how much I don't know about suspension. Sheez.

I learned my car is in excellent mechanical shape. 180 compression all the way accross, needs nothing at this point. The shop fixed my little idle annoyance with some wiring stuff. I also learned that Kahlers in Dublin is a good shop, but not too knowledgeable regarding suspension, and track setups, so I have my car back w/o any suspension upgrades.

I also learned that my pcar is just about as fast as my S4 on the track. I noticed how really balanced this car is, how it's very controllable, how much tire pressure matters on this platform (more than heavy s4), how to control trailing throttle on oversteer on 7/7a at Sears point. I learned that this little car is as durable as I hoped it would be, and I am hopefull will remain that way as I speed up in it.

I re-learned that my wife is the best person in the world! I learn that lesson each week tho. ;-).

Quick Reply: Friday- what have you learned