Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you apply full throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you apply full throttle?

...on the street. Track events NOT included as I hope to hell you use full throttle at the track. Basically, I've heard stories about people rarely allowing the car to rev past about 4k, and then there are people like myself. I'm well aware of my heavy foot, so I wonder if I'm generally "harder" on my 964 than some of you all are?

I drive my 964 about 4 days a week (about 150 miles/week), and I give it full throttle about 5-6 times each day. About half of those times that I give it full throttle, I'll take the rpm's up to @ 6250rpm before reaching for the next gear.
My excuse is that I mainly do it for the sound. The Ruf bypass just makes it sound too sweet.

So do I drive it too hard, or do I drive it how I should? How do you all drive your Porsche?

-Harry
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to take it to redline at least once every time I take the car out. That's usually in 1st, although there are a lot of 45mph speed limit roads around here where you can redline it in 2nd without being too much over the speed limit (just for the record, my record of too much over the speed limit is about 20mph, that's my rationalization anyway ).
Brian
Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the oil is up to normal operating temperatures it’s on. These cars are designed to be run hard. I think its harmful to make it a habit of shifting under 4K.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:59 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Once it's warm I try to get it into the mid 6's a couple of time per drive if I have the opportunity. It all happens too fast in 1st gear so if I'm on the highway I try for second. My record is about 30 seconds at the redline in 5th along a lovely stretch of straight highway that has great visibility ahead and rarely has any radar. Now that's a rush!

Jim G.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 AM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day,

Down here in Oz they get pretty feral about speeding, fines start at 3Km's over the limit here in Melbourne. I know, ridiculous! Makes it risky to cream it in any gear.

Nevertheless, I had a clean road, early morning drive in to the office this morning and drove "spiritedly". In the early morning hours P was howling away wonderfully through the suburbs! I was so pleased that I could wake all my lovely neighbours with such a fabulous sound. Makes such a nice change from a alarm clock waking you, don't you think? I am sure they loved me for it too! It makes me happy when everyone else is happy.

Just a question, when is the egine warm enough? Do you wait until it reaches the first line on the gauge, or do you just give it 5 minutes?

Frans
Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I try to cover the full rev and power range every time I drive the car. It is necessary to keep the cylinder walls clear of deposits at the top of the stroke. Let the deposits build up, and you will break a top ring next time you go to the redline. I it will actually shorten the engine life if you keep the revs low all the time. Next run to the redline risks damaging the engine.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I try to cover the full rev and power range every time I drive the car.
That must be what the guys think who drive past my house in their lamborghini's, ferrari's, and turbo 996's at 80mph... ahh, must rev... must rev.....
Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

even if it was not advised to rev it, I would still do it, that flat 6 sound is like crack.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Dear 964’ers, I tell you one thing about living in France is that we can burn up to about 85-90mph, (130-140 kph) legal top speed, but the best roads are in the country where you can play with the gears on the traffic free winding curves through the vineyards a la, Aryton Senna, (RIP). Cross into Italy, the speed limits are 100-110 mph, (150-170kph), but no-one bothers you there, radar free, so 130-140 mph, (180-200kph) cruising is okay. Slowdown in Switzerland, then, head into Germany, and go for it, especially early morning!! For me the, five gears X by 6800 rpm’s and listen to the music!.... On the Autobahn in Germany, direction Munich, how fast the world goes by at 170 mph. (285 kph) Even today, how well balanced and sure to the road the Porsche 911/964 feels. The installation of new wheels, tires, shock absorbers and a few other normals for the age, and our 964’s are ready to go. Spend some time on the exterior, interior and mechanics over several years as a project as I'm doing, and presto, the Porsche 911/964, once again feels new, looks new and is even better, because it's broken in now!!,. You're invited, come with your 964's, hold the wheel tight, feel your 911 to the road, and listen to,. "THE BEST MUSIC EVER INVENTED BY MAN!!!!!".....Marc A.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Every time i drive it, after a short warm up period. I actually feel dissapointed if i drive somewhere and the traffic won't allow me to accelerate hard even once.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:48 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

up above 6000 rpm from 1st into 4th gear when leaving ANY toll gate...

after that, well, i am already a "bit" above legal speed limit so i go into 5th very soon after engaging 4th, and start to slow down...But the true pleasure resides between 2nd and 3rd on the french winding road.

And Marc, i like you concept of "about 85-90mph speed limit"... i remember crossing france 2 years ago at a steady 120... (not kms), on empty motorway (St Etienne to Clermont...on the way to Brittany). This was before all those silly speed camera/speeder=murderer idea that the british manage to sell to our "happy on the stick" goverment... i wish the "rule" was the same as in the states: the one who flash you must be the one who catch you...

And for what it is worth i DO NOT speed in town...too many kids, ladies to look at that is also more time for them, unfortanetly, mainly the kids, to look at a nice car (never forget you were a kid once)...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Not that often on the street, maybe in the lower gears, mostly due to the fact that it's not enough space to stretch out. But on track I always go to 6.800 rpm (last line before 7.000)
Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Every time I drive it.

c
Old 11-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, once it's warmed up, I use the whole rev range!! It's part of the fun!!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I have to admit, its not every time I drive it because of the street conditions around me. But every time I do get a chance to use full throttle, it puts a smile on my face and makes me want to do it more often. Highway on ramps and country roads are the usual places I can open it up.

Quick Reply: How often do you apply full throttle?