Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on to D90's = noticeably livelier car.. and another 'fits like a glove' post

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Back on to D90's = noticeably livelier car.. and another 'fits like a glove' post

I took off my Boxster 17's ( 7 and 8.5 inches) to run my d90's on a track day- just so I could wear out some old tires. The d90's have stayed on! The car seems just that bit more eager to jump forwards, and crisper on the handling. Yes the understeer is back with the measly 6 inch fronts, but over the years I have learned alot about managing the weight transfer, and it really doesn't seem to be a problem like it used to.

Am I a convert back to D90's for good?..Not sure. I admit to liking the 'rootsy' looks of the d90's w/out centrecaps, though

And yes, just back from a short drive. I love my tired old 964! Feels so quick and handles so nicely, makes such a nice noise..same old, I know, but 4 years later, can't believe it's still doing it for me. Must be something in that badge's reputation after all.

If only I could find a way of getting the bumbling, erratic and downright obstructive general public to just stay at home once in a while...
Old 11-05-2005, 09:54 AM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just have to know what a "hoon bucket" is...
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll bet I can get you a really good deal on some flags if you want to make the "back-dating" complete.

Marc
Old 11-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by williamreinecke
I just have to know what a "hoon bucket" is...
Well, its a (rust)bucket, a shed, a beater, an old pooch, tired but not moody..and..

..I don't think 'hoon' is in the Oxford English Dictionary yet, but if I had to define it:
Verb - to Hoon: To drive a motor vehicle at considerable speed, or in a flamboyant manner, often with a sense of enjoyment and/or, if on public roads, when appropriate, disregard for arbitrary local maximum speed regulations'
Old 11-05-2005, 09:07 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Well, its a (rust)bucket, a shed, a beater, an old pooch, tired but not moody..and..

..I don't think 'hoon' is in the Oxford English Dictionary yet, but if I had to define it:
Verb - to Hoon: To drive a motor vehicle at considerable speed, or in a flamboyant manner, often with a sense of enjoyment and/or, if on public roads, when appropriate, disregard for arbitrary local maximum speed regulations'
I see. Then I have a "hoon wagon" as well, a 2001 Ford Taurus Wagon. It seems to "hoon" properly, one must get their driver training in the middle east or South America...
Old 11-05-2005, 09:15 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Swap those 6" D90 fronts for a pair of eights wearing some fat rubber and the understeer will be a thing of the past. Then again, it will follow every single road irregularity that you happen to encounter.

Brian
Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian - Those wheels on your avatar.. D90's, perchance? What size at the front?

I've been here before - you can get 7 inch d90's from a 944 Turbo if I recall. Maybe I should try and find some again..
Old 11-06-2005, 11:21 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, they are D90's, but 8". I do get a bit of rub at full lock, but I get the same with my 17" road wheels.

Got them from John D. the owner of Rennlist. My track set-up is 245/45 Kumho Victorracers, front and back, but I would never run that for the street. As I mentioned they will tramline over every rut, groove, bump or other irregularity in the road surface. But I do like them for autocross and time trials.

Brian

Quick Reply: Back on to D90's = noticeably livelier car.. and another 'fits like a glove' post