Sponsored by:

Not quite Friday---

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not quite Friday---

But I'm out of town the rest of the weekend, and I'm not connected where I'm going soooooooo

I learned that group riding can cause you to get a stone into your side markers, costing a few bucks to replace.

I learned that even though point 1 is a pita, I still love group rides!!!

My top DID NOT leak yesterday when I drove it in the rain, maybe temporary reprieve?

I'm going to run for the board on the local PCA- wish me luck with my continued infatuation with Porsche.

what about you- but I'll find out Monday afternoon when I get home.

christer- can you start the Monday post
Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I learned that ISO plugs can be hard to find so I had to order some from a UK retailer on eBay so I can complete my new head-unit installation.

Marc
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 AM
robbed666
Racer

Mine goes in for its 4 wheel alignment today. Hope its out comes out driving like it should. Bumpsteer and tramlining really spoil the experience.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I've learned that just about every time I check the air pressure in my tires they're low. All 4. I have to fill them up about every 3 weeks. Anyone else have to do this?

c
Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Christer
Race Car

I have learned that my brake wear indicator has just lit up (intermittently) so I guess new pads are on the horizon....
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok, I learned that antisqueal shims don't necessarily do what it says on the tin..

They should ideally be labelled '£30-down-the-toilet shims'.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 AM
BLK964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that a fuel line can back off of the fuel pump after 15 years, resulting in your car smelling like a lawnmower.

But... tightening it back up, has been the cheapest fix I've had to do on the car so far.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned that Porsche parts are not the only expensive ones.

I also learned that Rennlist can always help and inspire!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am happy to be driving my car again after doing all the recent maintenance work! woohooo!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am happy because it was beautiful top down driving weather in to work today and I get to go home in 15 minutes for the start of the weekend
Old 09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I've learned that there are mods one can do that do not include the inherent Porsche tax. I wanted to add a K&N cone filter and open the air flow for sound reasons. I don't expect any HP gains from this mod but I do like the sound of huge amounts of air running through.

I went to the local autoparts store and bought a K&N cone. My intentions were to lay-up some carbon fabric this weekend into a snout and mill an aluminum blank to bolt up to the air meter. While at the autoparts store I spyed a pre-made plastic 3" inlet that had what looked to be a properly sized flange that was pre-drilled. I bought that for $5.54 and brought it home.

I pull the airbox to clean both the ISV and meter box. I took the inlet and using the gasket as a template drilled holes to correct the bolt pattern. This bolted right up to the meter box and I was able to fit the K&N directly to this. The filter clears the hood strut buy nearly 1/4". The airbox is only supported by the clamp for the intake so I need to bend some metal or build some carbon strips to mount support brackets. It worked well enough to test drive the car last night and I'll add the supports this weekend. The K&N is well up under the cowl and no where near the hood intake. The auto parts store also has pre-made intake pipes with 90 degree bends that could easily move the filter into an area more near the original airbox's snout position.

I'm thinking a heat shield below the cone may be nice and could lay-up a carbon plate and integrate the air meter supports with the plate and bolt these to the two original air box mounting bolts???

Anyhow, I've got $54 dollars into this intake. I'll spend another $35 or so for some fabric and the pre-made pipe for the intake. All in all, under $100 for something that I could easily spend $200 from a catalogs.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 PM
robbed666
Racer

Alignment done, No bumpsteer or tramlining!! Drives like its on rails, never did that before. Took my mate four hours, and had to reset just about everthing. He cameout muttering about "lowered, spaced wheels, can't something be left standard".
He just invested in the latest 4 wheel alignment gear, its someting else ! flashing pods raising and lowering themselves on coloumns at the slightest tweak on the suspension.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
badcar
Intermediate

I learned this week that you should look at the parts you have before you go shopping for new ones...ie: I have three electric window buttons....I really should have remembered to look for them before I spent $45 for another one....

Oh yea...once I fixed the window, I busted a part in my sun-roof. I know I don't have that part.

But the good new is that it is going to be 75 degrees and sunny all weekend up in the mountains, Aspens are at their peak of color, and roads are really twisty all over...kinda like heaven.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Rushjob
Advanced

Location: The depths of Sherwood Forest, UK or if you're really unlucky, sat in your mirrors

I learned that after spending the best part of 6 months trying to track down an intermittent ABS fault, having an earth ( ground ) terminal fall off in your hand when checking all of them for the second time is a great feeling.
Cost price of repair £0.10 - personal price of not having wife complaining that the ABS light & buzzer came on again - Priceless!

Quick Reply: Not quite Friday---