Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with the Brits and Porsches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with the Brits and Porsches?

Traveling in Texas this week, I just picked up the new issue of 911 & PW, and was struck again at the quality of the publications coming out of the UK.

So, what's with the Brits and their Porsches? The community seems tighter, their publications more detailed (3 Porsche 'zines from one small island?) and a fundamental appreciation of the classic Porsches that we seem to lack over here in the states.

Why is there so much passion for cars in the UK?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is the US is sooooo in love with muscle cars- look at all the car shows that feature muscle cars.... makes me sick!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 PM
axel6
Advanced

The Brits have a greater appreciation for good handling cars, regardless of "power." Americans are in love with torque, size and big hp numbers. This cultural difference is also evident in motorsports. Road racing is simply not very popular here.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

From my tours of the south of England, and the Lake Country, and Scotland, there are a lot more twisty narrow roads which the porsches, and other fun little sports cars excel at. Also a lot smarter/friendlier drivers.

my 2c
Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Azureblue
Intermediate

We don't have many "wide open" roads here in the uk, in fact the roads enthusiast here prefer are small 'b' (minor) designation roads that squirm between hills and valleys. Hence our preference for typically smaller cars that are agile and can carry speed throughout the whole of the journey, not just when the road opens up. It was once said England was a nation of shopkeepers, I prefer to think of us as a nation of mechanical tinkerers. Also fuel at four pounds sterling per gallon, soon dampens the ardour for cubic inches.
Darryl
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, so while we are this topic I have to ask the question that's been bugging me for a while....

Does anybody really pay several thousand quid for a number plate like are always advertised in the back of 911/PW and others?

Marc
Old 09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Rushjob
Advanced

Location: The depths of Sherwood Forest, UK or if you're really unlucky, sat in your mirrors

Yes!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Rushjob
Advanced

Location: The depths of Sherwood Forest, UK or if you're really unlucky, sat in your mirrors

Just to give you an idea of the range of prices, they can go from less than £100 to the record that I'm aware of for a number plate - K1 NGS which sold for £185,000 ( that's about $329,000 ! )
Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

That's a great question - I wonder about the plates for sale at the back of the 911&PW - there's a premium on anything with a 911 on it.

Check out the September 911&PW where they take a new 911 Turbo on a drive through the back roads of Scottland. Outstanding. We have nothing even close to this type of driving, especially for P Cars.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Traveling in Texas this week, I just picked up the new issue of 911 & PW, and was struck again at the quality of the publications coming out of the UK.

Why is there so much passion for cars in the UK?
It isn't so much just Porsches, or even cars. Simple fact is that Brits still have passion. In the US, pretty much EVERY form of media panders to the apathetic masses and the lowest common denominator in search of the highest dollar return.

You've seen the examples of their car mags, but haven't you also noticed their car TV shows? You can either be sucked in and totally enthralled with an episode of "Top Gear" or you can be beaten about the head by Motor Trend Television. Why can Top Gear make you WANT to watch a segment about a Skoda, while Motor Trend makes even aFerrari or Porsche feature seem dull?

Same works for their sitcoms, which might be why we've tried to copy a few lately. Examples? "Coupling" on BBC will have you in stitches - the only stitches needed for the American version were those from a frontal lobotomy. "The Office" is pretty much the same story.

Thankfully, real live Americans seem to have some Porsche passion left - the folks in my office love my white Carrera 4.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Hahaha - so true, I forgot to mention the TV shows. Top Gear is unbelievable.

They have a lot of work to do to earn my forgiveness for Benny Hill, though...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The other factor in the magazine equation is that the UK is a very important market for Porsche ( number 3 ? ).Whole heap of reasons including enjoyment of a good car down to a social status thing ! No different really !!

Geoff
Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take one look at people on sport bikes in the US (sunglasses, shorts, sneakers and helmet!?...what helmet?) vs. anywhere in Europe (Helmet and leathers-always). The US is pointed in the wrong direction. We need less show and more ABILITY to go (around corners would be nice).
Old 09-29-2005, 12:56 AM
fiftyfive
Instructor

991 & PW and Totally 911 are excellent publications. As well as dense content (try reading an issue in a night), lack of commericalism, and excellent technical writing, have you noticed how charmingly owner-authors write about their cars and lives in general? I'm fairly new to Porsches (don't even own one yet) but admire the lack of "I smoked two 'Vettes and a 'Stang last week" verbiage in the community.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm fairly new to Porsches (don't even own one yet) but admire the lack of "I smoked two 'Vettes and a 'Stang last week" verbiage in the community.
Maybe thats because most of our cars cant

Quick Reply: What's with the Brits and Porsches?