Make a C4 a 2wd doable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 06:05 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Make a C4 a 2wd doable?

Hi guys!

I've been starting to look at 964's and want a C2 coupe. Problem is that most 964's in Sweden are C4 cars and the C4's are also cheaper.

What does it take to make the C4 a C2 and what are the good and bad stuff about it? Anyone who has done it?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:10 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
OT - Nice avatar! I've heard the phrase "up the creek without a paddle" but never the reverse, that's the strangest canoeing I've ever seen!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:26 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anders,

This question generated a lot of "discussion" and argument over on the Pelican BBS recently:

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=f9f72f882aea256d9a1097e143198b64&threadid=116799" target="_blank">C4 to C2</a>

That guy may have had different motivations than you do, but if you read through all of the yelling there is some good info.

As for me, I'm going to leave mine AWD, and I don't even have any really bad weather where I live!

Tom
Old 07-03-2003, 06:46 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, Anders.

It would be nice to see you in a 964.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess that I want to follow up a little on my last post. Although you have been reading the boards and seem to have made up your mind on wanting a C2 I have to reiterate that the C4's are loads of fun. Have you had the opportunity to drive both? I personally think that the C4's have gotten a little bit of a bad reputation for too much understeer, which is not fully deserved.

Of course it depends on your driving style and what you intend to do with the car. But drive both models, and as many of each type as you can and you may find that you can have all the fun you want in the C4. To me it is a totally different animal from my 944, and from the few (older) 911's I have driven. And I have a great time trading off between the 944 and the C4.

Tom
Old 07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TMH:
<strong>I have to reiterate that the C4's are loads of fun. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Absolu-frickin-lutely.

Look I will live and die by the philosophy of "to each their own" but, for me the 964 C4 is what I want. And the closeness in time and everything else to a 959 also helps.........
Old 07-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This C4 to C2 question gets asked about every six months. If you want a C2 purchase a C2. If you want a C4 purchase a C4. The cost of converting a C4 to a C2 is very high and a complete waste of time. Yes it is doable but why?
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-04-2003, 04:52 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Anders, why don't you look for a car in Germany? They may not be cheaper but there are more to choose from. I had the same problem as you. I wanted a black C2 with black interior, MY 92-93, and I still haven't seen anyone in Sweden (at least not for sale). I found my dreamcar in mint condition with the right options for me.It wasn't cheap but I got what I wanted. If you think it's difficult to buy a car from Germany there are companies that can help you with this to. I used one that helped me out and it worked great! Mail me if you want more info about this. Use your money to buy the right car, instead of converting a car you don't want.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:45 AM
LoudC4
Advanced

Conversions are a big cost and reduce resale in many cases.

Having said that, do as you feel right.

You obviously have done some research in your locale so you know best whats avaialble. Keep researching the notion of the conversion if you feel thats what you want.

A piece of advice - when I have in the past bought various P-cars I have often thought of upgrading this or modifying that. In most cases, I never did half what I thought I'd wanted but when I sold each and every one, I thought, man am I glad I didnt do those changes. Primarily the reduction in saleability and secondly the money pit becomes unrecoverable. Having said that, there are many mods you can make to make a car more saleabale and if your car is your hobby then the time planning, saving, thinking, dreaming and doing is never wasted. Its just a car and a journey you take with it at some time in your life.

Good luck.
Cheers
Mark
Old 07-04-2003, 06:39 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice and welcoming.

I'll try and find the car I want instead of one that I can mod to something I prefer.

I have looked at the possibility to import from Germany and see at as no big problem and will probably go that route if I don't find the car I want here in Sweden. But I would prefer finding a car in my own area to make the decision easier than that of a trip to see a car for a possible buy. I've seen to many cars that are diamonds and pearls in the owners description but something completely different when it comes to irl contact.

I just helped a friend register his 993 here in Sweden and it really is a ease to do that sort of things. The whole deal took less than a day, unfortunately it actually spent more time on the phone than doing real stuff.

Quick Reply: Make a C4 a 2wd doable?