Sponsored by:

Updated picture - Racecar Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its like an episode of "Rides" or " Monster Garage for Grownups"!!! I have to agree with the comments above....you got *****!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After building my turbo car and running it for so long I realized that it really wasn't good for anything. It was preventing me from growing in my driving skills on the track and it was not a car I wanted to take on vacation. So, this is the first step to solving my problem...make a dedicated track car that won't give me an excuse. The second is to find a C4 of some sort to drive all year around (including in the snow). Been looking at the 996C4s which are priced about what a 993C4 is at so I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Here are a few additional pictures. The 993 engine looks so good inside it is such a shame to molest it, but I guess that is how it goes. I got down to the P&C today and hopefully by Wed I'll have it all ready to ship out to get the case bored to 109mm to accept the factory bore in RSR cylinders. I'm also having the case shuffle pinned and boat tailed. In the mean time, I'll test the heads on a flow bench and decide what kind of porting is required and what to do with the valve size in the head if I end up using these heads.

Hopefully by the long weekend I can be back to working on the body which means carbon fiber dust and I guess I can't procrastinate any longer.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Geoffrey
This probably isn't news to you but carbon fiber dust is the itchest suff I've ever suffered from .
If I ever do carbon fiber again , I'll do it hundreds of miles away from home and then burn all the clothes that have any dust contact .
I want that nasty old crank and rod set that your getting rid of .
Old 08-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this thread is #1! Geoffrey, progress on your race car looks simply outstanding. Its must be a fantastic feeling knowing
that you are building this car from a near perfect base! I really do look forward to more progress pics please.
Outstanding work. (can you do mine next pls )
Old 09-01-2005, 01:49 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice Geoffrey. Hmm, those piston tops and combustion chambers are begging for Swain tech ceramic thermal barrier coating, along with Calico dry lubrication surface treatment on bearings, wrist pins, etc. Something I'm sure you may know about. I'm going to use Swain tech to do my entire exhaust, and when I break the case in half, will use Calico to do the inners.

Jaime
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, the pistons and cylinders (No scuffing and they measure to factory specs) are for sale since I'll be using something else. As far as coatings go, I do think the dry lube works well on the piston skirts where the larger bore engines (100mm, 102mm) tend to have excessive piston rock. In fact, the factory 3.8 RS and RSR pistons come from the factory with dry lube. I don't feel it necessary on the bearings and wrist pins. However, since I've not used it, I don't have any factual information to say it is better or not, or what value there is to be gained. A properly built 964 lower end should not have any issues and there are several Cups with significant abuse on their bottom end that look great when torn down. This isn't to say that there isn't value to coatings in certain applications, I just don't know the value of it for the average weekend racer. 2hp? 20hp? 1yr? 10yr? increased longevity...I don't know.

I'm in the process of working with my BMW M3 customer who is having the process applied to the pistons, valves, and chamber so we'll see if it makes any difference as we have quite a bit of baseline dyno and MoTeC data.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoffrey,
Thats quite a project youve got there !! I thought shuffle pinning 3.6 crankcases was not a good idea but I forget why !! Have you checked the prices of GT3 bits. The crank is the best and about the cheapest !!and it fits.

Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Geoff

Quick Reply: Updated picture - Racecar Project