Sponsored by:

Car Polish / Clear Coat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car Polish / Clear Coat question

I have a 1990 Guards Red C4. I have bought from Prestige Car Care Products Inc. 'Lite Cleanse' pre-wax cleaner and Victoria Yellow Wax (Carnuba oil based). When I rub the 'Lite Cleanse' into the bodywork a small ammount of Red residue is left on cloth. If, as I believe is the case, my car has a clear coat, I must be rubbing through the clear coat to reach the red? I have only done one door but do not want to continue if I am destroying something? Any top tips ot comments out there?
Thanks in advance.
Piers
Old 01-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piers

I have a Guards Red 1990 C2. I have also recently purchased some wax from Prestige Performance - but I went for the Red one with higher Carnubia content. I bought Lite Cleanse and the HD Wash from them as well. I didn't actually use the Lite Cleanse as I understood it to be a cleaner that didn't take the wax off when it has already been applied. I used the Shampoo fisrt and then rubbed the wax into her gorgeous curves with my bare hands..

The result is nothing short of astonishing. I recently drove 50 miles home at high speed when the road was sopping wet but it wasn't actually raining. Normally, I would not be able to tell what colour the car was from the windows down. In this case I got home and the car was completely dry and shiny - the water had just run off with dirt and all. I am VERY pleased with this product.

Sorry Piers, I am afraid I have gone off at a complete tangent to your comment although at least you know there are more of us out here with the same product. Are you sure that you or the PO have not used some of the colour wax stuff at some stage in the past? It seems very unlikely that the lite cleanse will take the paint off your car...!! Well at least I hope it is unlikely
Old 01-24-2002, 09:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
I would like to try this wax myself - did you order direct from Prestige Car Care, or did you find somewhere in the UK that was selling it?

Dave
90 C4
Old 01-24-2002, 09:47 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Roy,

Your car does NOT have a clear coat. The cleaner type of wax is a somewhat more abrasive a top coat wax. The red comming off on the rag is old, oxidized, dirty paint and the product is working as designed. The cleaner waxes are used to remove fine scratches, acid rain spots, oxidation, and other minor damage to the paint. I doubt you could rub hard enough or long enough to really rub through down to the primer. These "cleaner waxes" are great for once or twice a year to take all of the top coat wax and paint damage off, then apply a top coat carnuba wax. Your car will look great. BTW, I use Meguiar's clear coat scrub then #26 carnuba wax on all of my vehicles - solid paint or base coat/clear coat with very good luck.

Geoffrey
Old 01-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Roy,

I should add a caviat, if your car has been repainted, it probably has base coat/clear coat, but from the factory, they are solid colors. I repainted my rockers and used base coat/clear coat. Either way, I think you are fine.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:15 AM
RobC
AutoX

I will just add to this that you should also look at using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze before waxing.

The Hand Glaze is almost 100% non-abrasive and contains various resins and other "nutrients" for your paint. It is the key to a truly deep "wet-look" gloss, and works great on red cars.

Finish up with the coat of wax to protect the finish.

The key is "hand glaze for gloss" "wax for protection".
Old 01-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by DaveK:
<STRONG>Hi,
I would like to try this wax myself - did you order direct from Prestige Car Care, or did you find somewhere in the UK that was selling it?

Dave
90 C4</STRONG>

Dave
I bought direct. Brice handled my order and was very helpful.
Piers
Old 01-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RobC:
<STRONG>I will just add to this that you should also look at using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze before waxing.

The Hand Glaze is almost 100% non-abrasive and contains various resins and other "nutrients" for your paint. It is the key to a truly deep "wet-look" gloss, and works great on red cars.

Finish up with the coat of wax to protect the finish.

The key is "hand glaze for gloss" "wax for protection".</STRONG>
Where can I buy this? On the internet?
Thanks
Piers
Old 01-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Daniel H
Cruisin'

Just a suggestion for those in the UK - try www.frost.co.uk. They carry the One Grand line which includes a carnuaba wax.

I can't compare it to some of the other high quality products around such as Zymol because I baulk at paying £80 for a starter kit! However I used the Omega Glaxe and Blitz Wax on a guards red C2 and the result seemed pretty good. It's certainly the cheapest of the Carnuaba waxes that I've found in the UK - cheaper than Mothers, Waxwizard etc.

They carry lots of other interesting bits and pieces as well and delivery was very prompt.

Daniel
Old 01-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I have to be honest, I have a can of Zymol wax and I fail to see that it is better in any way. If I use a two step process (cleaner wax, then top coat carnuba wax) it shines the best. Zymol I think tends to be more abrasive than just a top coat because you get almost the same shine from one application of the product. Anyway, I was never impressed.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:38 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

And, if you want to read about all sorts of car care products & techniques at a web site written by a Porsche enthusiast, go here:

Car Care Online Website

Yes, you can even order the products from this site. Lots of great car care tips!

-- Melissa

PS I have no affiliation with Larry Reynolds or Car Care Online, other than being a satisified customer.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Ruf-e-nuf
6th Gear

P21-S will give you the best shine and protection you have seen. IMO
Old 08-22-2002, 04:52 PM
A red blur..
Track Day

And...

I'd just like to add that I got 3M hand glaze and Blitz wax for my Red 93 and the results are fantasic. A quantum leap up from the meguirs system of body scrub, polish, clay bar, wax, etc.

Thanks larry - all good products and good advice.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Final results of a previous poll on the "best" cleaner and wax showed the combo of 3M Hand Glaze and Blitz wax to be the most popular. As I recall, that's also a favorite Larry Reynolds (carcareonline) recommendation. Still, others report various other combos to work great. Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: Car Polish / Clear Coat question