A/C Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 07:06 PM
DaveS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question A/C Dilemma

To fix or not to fix?

After having read the horror stories over the past week, I don't know if I should throw good money after bad on the AC system. Here is the scenario. Any advice would be appreciated.

Compressor leaks at nose seal. I knew this when I bought the car and factored it into the price. Porsche is willing to give me a rebuilt compressor as this one is still under warranty from the previous owner. Cost to swap compressors, replace receiver/dryer and evacuate /recharge with R134 will set me back $500.

The dilemma is that the car could have other leaks and once I fix the compressor, who knows what else is lurking. One scenario is just to evac and recharge it up now for $100 as see where leaks are coming from.

Additional complication is that I have until the winter before the compressor waranty runs out.

Suggestions? Thankfully I have a 10 minute commute in Atlanta so A/C is not super critical.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave,

I think you need to bite the bullet and get the compressor replaced while it's still under warranty. I know the expense hurts, but in an area like Atlanta, you can actually use good A/C.

I'm also an advocate of tackling broken items head on, without letting them accumulate. Before you know it, you'll have a laundry list of high $$ repairs backlogged.

Once you get done, you'll have a system that runs on cheap R-134a, so losing your charge (if you still have leaks) won't be a huge deal.

What is scary is the thought of your evaporator having a leak (as recently happened to Jamie D.). Now that's expensive to fix.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:07 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree with Randall on that one.

Get your new compressor and convert to R134a...that way it's MUCH cheaper to diagnose.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:40 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Hi Dave,
100% agree with the 2 other replies. Get the compressor replaced under warranty before that lapses. Before replacing the dryer make 110% sure it's gone!! because that not a job for the faint hearted!!
My sugestion would be once the compressor's replaced do a pressure test/dye leak check. It could just be the seals that have gone brittle and need replacing, this is cheap and quick to do.

Cheers
Gary '91 C2
Old 07-31-2002, 06:19 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

I am at exactly the same stage, with the same problem and same dilemma. So far I have done nothing about it as here in the UK the a/c is rather superficial.

I have heard one can replace the compressor with a 993 unit. Is this true? Is it a straight swap? Apparently the 993 unit is stronger?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:39 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Riccardo,
You will find the same complaints from 993 owners about their airconditioning as you do from 964 owners. The compressor used for the 993 is basically the same as the 964 units. The seals were updated I believe. The fundamental problem with all 911s is the design of the system. To overcome these shortcomings you need a more powerful compressor. I am told that there are companies who make more suitable compressors aftermarket. Griffiths is one.
I do not use my aircon so I do not care too much. Luckily mine is still intact. I should get it serviced one day I guess but for me it is a waste of money. The windows are fine. I lived in Alice Springs (48C during the day) and my daily driver did not have aircon. If you can handle that you can handle any hot weather. As long as my heating system works I am happy,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-31-2002, 11:49 AM
DaveS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I should sepcify that the car has already been converted to R134.

Am I crazy to try the following: DIY (with help) the compressor swap while still under warranty. Then wait until next year to replace dryer/receiver and evac and recharge.

Reason being is that I can probably avoid AC for the remainder of the year and am too cheap to charge and not use if it has a leak.

How hard/dangerous is trying to replace the compressor? Will freon be leaking out? Do I risk damaging the system without keep it fully charged.

The goal is to save some money for more pressing potential maintenance and avoid the wrath of my wife.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:36 PM
Gary C2
Advanced

Dave,
The compressor can be a DIY project. First of all, does the warranty require that a dealer replace it?

Second, if there is still pressure in the system, then freon will leak out when replacing the compressor. If there is still pressure, then you should have it properly evacuated before replacing the compressor.

The risk of not keeping the system charged is potential contamination and corrosion.

Since you already are converted to R134, you could refill it yourself. That will only set you back around $15 to $30. (That should please your wife). You could probably skip replacing the receiver/dryer and not have any problems.

Gary

Quick Reply: A/C Dilemma