FVD LB2 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 AM
jdocking
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FVD LB2 Upgrade

Hi all,

There have been a lot of posts regarding aftermarket chips, and I've done a few searches through the archives. The upshot appears to be that they aren't worth it unless other parts are upgraded. So, with this in mind, has anyone gone the whole hog and installed the FVD LB2 kit? This includes a remapped Motronic chip, new airflow meter, air temp sensor modified airbox (or K&N, depending on which you get).

This package promises about 50hp increase (hmmmm) for an outlay of as little as EUR1,250 (plus labour) which seems, well, cheap really.

However, has anyone done this conversion before?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 07-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff

I don't think I haveheard of anyone that has done this, but FVD do have a good reputation.

Having said that, in my experience it is the know-how of the perosn working on your car that is more important than anything else. FVD might be supplying the kit but who is going to fit it for you? Do they really understand tuning and this FVD kit?

At that price though I guess there is not that much risk. I would say if you fancy doing it - go ahead but get dyno readings before and after so you know what you got for your money!

There are plenty of people around I am sure that would be very interested to know the results....

The other thing to realise is that even if you got 50hp increase, that this in the real world does not make a HUGE difference. It might make for example the difference between a 996 walking away from you in a straight line, to you just about keeping up...maybe....thats all 50hp will give you.

Do some research and let us know how you get on. Any help we can give, just ask!

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:46 AM
jdocking
Track Day

Dyno, yeah, that would be like, not here then. Dubai doesn't have a dyno available, especially for four wheel drives......

I agree that 50hp will shave but a few tenths off the 0-60 times, however I'd be interested if it improves power delivery lower in the rev range, rather than providing a steeper peak. The power curves on their website shows a torque peak at around 6250, and power peak at with reasonable increases from around 4000 or so, so it should do what is asked of it.

Something to think about, anyway. Are there other options around other than FVD that people prefer?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The significant changes you mention are the new airflow meter & air temp sensor - these are the 'weak points' of the induction, as hot film induction wasn't commonplace when 964s were built. The barn-door type airflow meter is obstructive.

The conversion sounds similar to the Sportec upgrade that Adrian had fitted to his...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes there are but I guess your reference to your geographical position will always make a big difference to what is available/feasible. Also your budget and your appetitie for risk will be a key factor (as you cannot verify what you have got). I would say that unless you have th ebudget to ship your car to Europe (and use RUF, TTP, 9M or Sportec) then you might as well leave it alone (or buy a Turbo or other model with higher performance as standard)......IMHO.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 AM
jdocking
Track Day

Yeah, true enough. Checked out the Sportec website as well - their comparable kit states a comparitively modest 25hp to 35hp increase for more money, which makes the "up to 50hp" claim seem enthusiastic, plus without a dyno I'll never know. Maybe one to put on the back-burner then.

But I like the idea of shipping it off to RUF.....hmmmmm ;-)
Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 PM
anto1150
Pro

Hi to all,

I'm very interested on this argument... anyone can report any experience?

Tks
Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not on the FVD one but I have the Vitesse one with great results (but no dyno yet before someone asks).

Marc
Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys,

my experience was with the kit from Cartronic , I had a chip, air mass metring system, bigger throtle body, cup + bypass , k&N and drilled box , the car was runing well with LWF even with aircon on, and producing 275 bhp and 300 nm torqueat 2 different and very accurate dynos , I really wonder if there is any one out there with a chip producing 300 bhp ??? air temp sensor, wide band lamdba, throttle position sensor are good ideas to make crisper.

Konstantin C4
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 AM
anto1150
Pro

Not on the FVD one but I have the Vitesse one with great results (but no dyno yet before someone asks).
did it gain in lows and mids, or only in high revs?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:29 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have the Vitesse MAF kit. My personal experience is that gained significantly in overall horsepower. It lost a little in low-down torque but fattened up considerably in the mid resulting in a smooth linear power delivery from about 3500 rpm. I have a Cat bypass, stock primary and secondary bypass.

As with Marc I have no before/after dyno to back up my claims but I am more than happy with the end result to the point I don't expect to be looking for more horsepower gains anytime soon.

Neil
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

I have an early AMD hot film conversion that dynoes in at about 290 bhp even with my smokey old engine!! I think these sorts of kits have proven themselves over the years despite not being hugely publicised.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM
anto1150
Pro

I also have the Vitesse MAF kit. My personal experience is that gained significantly in overall horsepower. It lost a little in low-down torque
Neil,
looking at their dynos, it shouldn' t loose any lows... if so, I don't think I'll go through...
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ciao Anto,
I have a Cargraphic MAF kit + chip with 100 cell cat & cup pipe.
At dyno: Before 250 Hp - after @ 275 Hp.
The engine push strong with more torque then standard but the major torque increment is over 4000.
I'm very happy with it.

Paolo
P.S.: io vivo a Parma
Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
RaveDisc
Intermediate

I have the whole LB2 kit, everything is installed except the chip and MAF. With that kit you also have a left exhaust (that comes from the 964 Turbo). Now the car has approx. 285hp, and with the chip and MAF it should get to 300hp, which I am planning to do soon. Then I will be able to tell you if there is a difference or no. I won't have dyno results, but I will do some before and after tests, and it's also about how the car feels, not what's on paper.

Now the car runs very good, about 5seconds 0 to 62mph, or even less. Previous owner says 4.8sec.
But he told me not to put that chip and MAF because when humidity is higher than normal, the MAF can fail. However, now it's summer time, so I will give it a try.

Maybe I should post a video of the car.

Quick Reply: FVD LB2 Upgrade