Sponsored by:

FVD LB2 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdocking
The upshot appears to be that they aren't worth it unless other parts are upgraded. So, with this in mind, has anyone gone the whole hog and installed the FVD LB2 kit? This includes a remapped Motronic chip, new airflow meter, air temp sensor modified airbox (or K&N, depending on which you get).
Gotta qualify firstly that I don't have direct experience with the FVDs, but am using my experience in motorcycles and from the various Audis that I've had. I've only owned my 964 for 2 months.

If you install the FVDs without any other mods, you'll have more airflow but that will alter the air/fuel mixture ratio. At best, you'll have better top end, and at worse, the car will be starved of fuel at the bottom end, reducing torque and driveability.

I've been in discussions with Colin, and his view for increased torque is to install a 993 Varioram intake.

On the air filters, there have been issue with the paper cone (and this is from K&N, so may not apply here) is that you need to oil the cone periodically to prevent fine dust from penetrating into the engine. But if you over-oil the paper, the oil will foul up your MAF. If you don't oil the paper, the dust will penetrate, and the engine will wear much faster. This could be esp problematic in the Middle East where there's a lot of fine dust in the air from the desert.

Hope this helps, and my 2 cents worth.

Andrew

Quick Reply: FVD LB2 Upgrade