Sponsored by:

Will 993 airbag wheel fit on 964T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 06:39 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Will 993 airbag wheel fit on 964T?

Will a 993 airbag wheel fit onto a 964 Turbo? I prefer the styling of the newer wheels over the old "puffy" wheels. Some online research says yes and no with no clear indication which side won

Thanks for any info.

Farzaan
Old 12-27-2001, 09:16 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

The answer apparently is yes, if you happen to have a RUF 964 to 993 adapter laying around Weissach Performance just mounted a new 993 wheel onto my 964T. The RUF suspension has arrived and is being fitted now. It consists of two ROW M030 springs for the front, two RUF spec rear springs, four Bilstien dampeners painted green with threaded bodies. No anti-roll bars as far as we could see.

Farzaan
Old 12-28-2001, 01:09 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
fc

Can you post a picture of the adapter conversion? The 993 wheel tappers down to a circle while the 964 is more rectangular. I'd think that this would look odd being that the steering column base matches the 964 steering wheel rectangular base
Old 12-28-2001, 01:48 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by Kevin:
<STRONG>fc

Can you post a picture of the adapter conversion? The 993 wheel tappers down to a circle while the 964 is more rectangular. I'd think that this would look odd being that the steering column base matches the 964 steering wheel rectangular base</STRONG>
Will do, got a digital camera for Christmas so I'll take lots of pics as soon as I pick up the car tommorow after the RUF suspension goes in.

Farzaan
Old 12-28-2001, 04:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Farzann,
The actual standard answer is 100% NO!!!. Special installations with special adapters can be made but you still have to hook the airbag systems up and in this area you may well have some problems. The RUF conversion does work for fitment but I think you may have some other hook up problems. For standard 964s the answer is 1989 to 1992 models inclusive, no chance. For the 1993 models a new airbag system was introduced but without the RUF adapter (which looks very strange anyway) no chance. Remember also that other items are mounted on or around the steering column. Central informer, cruise control and many other items,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-01-2002, 05:31 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by Adrian:
<STRONG>Dear Farzann,
The actual standard answer is 100% NO!!!. Special installations with special adapters can be made but you still have to hook the airbag systems up and in this area you may well have some problems. The RUF conversion does work for fitment but I think you may have some other hook up problems. For standard 964s the answer is 1989 to 1992 models inclusive, no chance. For the 1993 models a new airbag system was introduced but without the RUF adapter (which looks very strange anyway) no chance. Remember also that other items are mounted on or around the steering column. Central informer, cruise control and many other items,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4</STRONG>
Without springing for the RUF C$1500 wheel, it seems I'm SOL for a small steering wheel. If I want to disable the airbag and run an aftermarket MOMO steering wheel, is there a way to fool the computer into thinking the airbag is there or to disable the whole airbag system so it doesn't light up the red light and exclamation mark on startup?

Thanks,
Farzaan
Old 01-02-2002, 06:01 AM
neil williams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Farzaan,

I see in your post that you are having RUF suspension installed.

I am curious as to where you found information on this suspension as my car, 90C4 had it installed when I bought it.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Neil

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Farzaan,
You can purchase the passenger airbag bypass kit from Porsche direct. You are legally not permitted to disconnect the drivers side. Nobody publicly is likely to tell you how to do this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-02-2002, 02:09 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

<STRONG>Dear Farzaan,
You can purchase the passenger airbag bypass kit from Porsche direct. You are legally not permitted to disconnect the drivers side. Nobody publicly is likely to tell you how to do this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4</STRONG>
I don't see why nobody would. Assume I'm building a track car, now will someone speak up? I would assume the passenger bypass could be used on the driver's side.

AFAIK, in Canada, we've been allowed to disable and remove our airbags for some time. Some Porsche models that came with bags standard in the USA did not even come on the Canadian models (89 944 Turbo S as an example).

I sit pretty close to the wheel, a 10yo explosive device in my face freaks me out.

Farzaan
Old 01-02-2002, 02:12 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by neilwilliams:
<STRONG>Hi Farzaan,

I see in your post that you are having RUF suspension installed.

I am curious as to where you found information on this suspension as my car, 90C4 had it installed when I bought it.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

regards

Neil </STRONG>
I bought it through the RUF authourized dealer in North America which happens to be local, http://www.weissach.com My contact there is asgar@weissach.com who handles all the RUF stuff. Great suspension eh? I really like the way the car handles. My setup seems to be ROW front springs, RUF rear springs, Bilstein coil overs front and rear valved to RUF specs. In the C2T kit, there are no anti-roll bars, but I believe yours comes with both bars and also RUF front springs. Check with Asgar to be sure.

The only thing is that the back does not give me as much range of adjustment as I had hoped. My rear fender is 24.75" from the ground measured through the wheel centre. I was hoping to get it to 24.25" or so.

fc-racer
Old 01-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Farzaan,
It is called self protection. You have an accident and then you say, ah yes it was Joe Blow on the rennlist that told me how to do this, sue him.
If it is permitted in Canada your local Porsche dealer will be able to help you. Maybe check out your nearest Porsche racing team. They will remove these parts so they will surely have some idea,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 01-03-2002, 07:41 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

<STRONG>Dear Farzaan,
It is called self protection. You have an accident and then you say, ah yes it was Joe Blow on the rennlist that told me how to do this, sue him.
If it is permitted in Canada your local Porsche dealer will be able to help you. Maybe check out your nearest Porsche racing team. They will remove these parts so they will surely have some idea,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4</STRONG>
Adrian, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How is someone in the USA or North America going to sue Adrian in Switzerland for answering a question that is asked by the very person or estate doing the suing? I mean, come on man, give me a break. There are some nonsense lawsuits around, but common sense should prevail.

Using your reasoning, you should no longer provide any advice about anything to do with the car. Imagine if that suspension recommendation you gave results in the guy spinning off and killing himself, you might get sued. Or if someone tries to repair something using your advice, are they going to sue you because the car ends up falling them?

At the end of the day, the local shop is taking care of it. They are going to install the airbag tool so that the passenger airbag continues to work. I am going with the Momo Runner which looks like a pretty classy wheel.

I think people need to lighten up sometimes, sheesh!

fc-racer
Old 01-04-2002, 06:08 PM
John52
Instructor

As another Canadian who would also like to replace the cumbersome looking airbag wheel, I would be very interested in how the MOMO conversion works out.
(1) How did you sucessfully bypass the airbag warning lights?
(2) Which MOMO hub did you use and does everything else still work (i.e cruise, directional signals,etc)?

John52 (92 Coupe)
Old 01-05-2002, 12:43 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by John52:
<STRONG>As another Canadian who would also like to replace the cumbersome looking airbag wheel, I would be very interested in how the MOMO conversion works out.
(1) How did you sucessfully bypass the airbag warning lights?
(2) Which MOMO hub did you use and does everything else still work (i.e cruise, directional signals,etc)?

John52 (92 Coupe)</STRONG>
Just to ensure that I do not get my shop into any kind of trouble, I'm doing this the proper way. I've sent an email to Transport Canada to get the "Deactivate Airbag" form. In that form, it asks some questions and if you qualify, TC will send back instructions to the dealer. The instructions basically state that the shop has the option of either installing a switch or removing the system all together.

To avoid any legal problems from the more annoying type, I'm going to set it up such that the passenger airbag is still active.

The method so far is to get the airbag test tool which imitates the resistance of the airbag. Plug that into the driver's side airbag and leave it there. We'll then replace the wheel with a Momo Runner which is a nice looking 360mm wheel. It's not as aggressive as the 350mm wheels so the steering should be nice and light still, but with that nice meaty Momo feel.

The wheel/hub/tool will be arriving in about a week's time. When it's all here and installed, I'll let you know how it goes. Using this method, no one can sue you, no one can make you feel like a hack and most importantly, you can return it to stock if you decide to sell the car (very important as there are some legal ramifications if you disable the airbag without telling the new owner that it is disabled, it's spelled out in the TC documentation).

Hope this helps,
fc-racer
Old 01-05-2002, 06:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

This fellow with a 94 Turbo S has figured out a way to make the 993/996 wheel fit and the airbag to continue functioning. Not sure if the bag was the same in 1991 as in 1994. Adrian can probably help us there.
http://www.flachbau.com/

fc-racer

Quick Reply: Will 993 airbag wheel fit on 964T?