Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refilling the manual transmission oil...any tricks for a clean job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Refilling the manual transmission oil...any tricks for a clean job?

I drained off my tranny oil last evening and I'm going to refill it. Are there any special tricks for doing a clean job with that? It doesn't look like it'll be particularly easy to refill that sucker with the refill on the side and going at it from underneath.

Also, how much fluid does it take? It looks like the servie manual says 3.1 Liters. Is that right?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I used an inexpensive pump bottle. There is recent post on this subject, and several links to vendors were posted. I got mine at Pep Boys, and it did fine. Get one with a hook that holds the tube in the fill hole. That lessens the risk of the tube jetting back when you give it a strong shot.

You will, of course, get overflow once the tranny is full. That is how you know when to stop. Keep the drain pan in place!

Good luck
Old 04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by springer3
I used an inexpensive pump bottle. There is recent post on this subject, and several links to vendors were posted. I got mine at Pep Boys, and it did fine. Get one with a hook that holds the tube in the fill hole. That lessens the risk of the tube jetting back when you give it a strong shot.

You will, of course, get overflow once the tranny is full. That is how you know when to stop. Keep the drain pan in place!

Good luck
Sounds like another visit to the auto parts store is in order. Any best on whether this is my last trip for this service!?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello RedRS,

The following DIY is for a 993. Given the close genetics, I think it will help you.

http://p-car.com/diy/transmissionfluid/
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Monique
Hello RedRS,

The following DIY is for a 993. Given the close genetics, I think it will help you.

http://p-car.com/diy/transmissionfluid/
Thanks for the link. I should always just know to check p-car.com before making a post. That tranny housing looks exactly the same as mine.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a G50 like yours. The clear tube looks like a great idea to me.. I will use it next winter for certain.

If ever on this side of the white cliffs of Dover, come on by... I'll show you another Red RS
Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Indycam
Warm oil flows much better than cold oil . Real warm oil flows much better .
so, are you suggesting I microwave my tranny oil before puring it into the car?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Sten
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the oil container in a bucket of hot water first. The downside of runny gearbox oil is it flows everwhere faster - including down your sleeve!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a pump that screws onto the top of the tranny oil bottle. Doesn't get much easier than that.
Brian
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought a cheap hand pump at Kragen (same as Pep Boys or other generic auto stores). It really wasn't very hard, although I was amazed at how much actually went in! Obviously the oil will need to be supported at a higher level than the car (doh), I did this by wedging the bottle in a box with some rags on a stool (very technical in my garage!) Make sure you have ordered new washers rather than taking a chance with the old ones.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Yes! Be double sure you have the crush washers before you do the job, otherwise you'll notice a tiny leak down the road, have to drain the tranny, collect the oil, re-fit the new crush washer, and refill the tranny. Just trust me and use the new washer. And actually, the great thing about using the pump is that the oil can be pumped from lower than the transmission. Right below the transmission, in fact. Sure it takes a bit more elbow grease, but I think it's easier than running a piece of tubing all the way from the pump to the fill hole. Your choice!
Brian
Old 04-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Yes! Be double sure you have the crush washers before you do the job, otherwise you'll notice a tiny leak down the road, have to drain the tranny, collect the oil, re-fit the new crush washer, and refill the tranny. Just trust me and use the new washer. And actually, the great thing about using the pump is that the oil can be pumped from lower than the transmission. Right below the transmission, in fact. Sure it takes a bit more elbow grease, but I think it's easier than running a piece of tubing all the way from the pump to the fill hole. Your choice!
Brian
I think this is the route I'm going to go. I'd like to be underneath the car monitoring the level while I'm filling it up. I will get the new crush rings.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

It also makes it easier because you can tell right away when the tranny is full because a bit of oil begins to trickle back down your tube. That way, you know it's full before you make a huge mess. If you aren't right under the hole, it's harder to tell when it's full. Although the obvious downside is you have to get, and lay, under the car the whole time pumping the bottle. Enjoy!

Brian
Old 04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhensarl
It also makes it easier because you can tell right away when the tranny is full because a bit of oil begins to trickle back down your tube. That way, you know it's full before you make a huge mess. If you aren't right under the hole, it's harder to tell when it's full. Although the obvious downside is you have to get, and lay, under the car the whole time pumping the bottle. Enjoy!

Brian
There is nothing I like more than laying under my car pumping.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Also remember that no transmission refill is complete until you have the stinking oil in your armpits and on your head.

Quick Reply: Refilling the manual transmission oil...any tricks for a clean job?