Sponsored by:

Speedo face finish.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedo face finish.

All the instruments in my car look fine without the lights on but when I turn on the headlights it looks like the speedo face has melted.

All the other look new and really black. Before I do anything else to the car I would like to sart with this as I notice it every time I drive the thing and it bugs me.

FVD seem to sell brand new VDO black gauges but only in KM IS there a way of getting a face direct from VDO?

I'm sure Ive read about this beofore somewhere. I did a search on here but didnt find anything specific.

ps. I dont really want to change all the faces If I can help it Just want to get the speedo looking like new again.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:28 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a company over here that does them. They advertise in 911&PW - I think it's Reap Automotive Design.

I think the glass on the instruments is backed with a plastic film - could it be just a problem with that (which can be removed)?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, mine too, except I want to have them all re-done. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for anyone who knows of a reputable instrument repair shop.

Duncan
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Pesty - same on mine, and the warning lights on my oil temp/pressure gauge have all cracked too.

After calling Porschapart today, it would appear that the speedo doesn't come apart, so the only solution is to buy a replacement speedo. I called a few other places and got the same response.

Douglas Valley breakers had both guages in stock, and the speedo has the same mileage as mine, which is a real bonus.

I also ordered a new dash panel (attemoted radio theft left my dash damaged), a new headlamp lens (cracked from top to bottom) and associated seals; and finally, a new Momo steering wheel boss, as mine has really given up. Makes a terrible scraping noise when turned and keeps souding the horn when I turn left.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Pesty, do a search on gauge glass issues. There's a post which details a pretty simple fix that involves removal of an plastic coating on the inside guage glass that causes the distortion you are seeing. The plastic is held against the glass with an adhesive that begins to separate. No need to get a new gauge.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you check with Palo Alto Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer ? I know this thread started as a UK question, but these guys do the refinishing and advertise that they do 911 guages.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Calvaire
Intermediate

I had a problem with the speedo too. The heating pipe behind the dashboard broke and cooked the speedo. The raplacement of the pipe was a long intervention.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advise guys.
The place indycam recomended (passpeedo)has 180MPH speedo faces advertised.
I have just e-mailed them to see if they can send me a new face or if they need to have mine to refurb it. If they can send me one Ill have a crack at fitting it. For other who have the same problem I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the tip on the sticky backing. The white numbering on the front of the dial is also looking past its best so I will try and get a new face. If I can't get one I will take a look at the backing.

Thanks again
Old 01-14-2005, 03:38 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Send them to North Hollywood Speedo. My speedo was peeling off a couple of years ago to the point where the flakes were piling up in the bottom of the gauge.
Cost approx US$100 and turnaround was one week including shipping both ways! And I'm in Taiwan.... Gauge looks like new
I have been told its caused by a combination of humidity and the heat from the backlit faces.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And I always thought my speedo face was unique. Only at night with the dash lights on, it shows little white specks all over the face. Does that sound like what others have, or is mine still unique?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:43 PM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like the same. I now have a couple of specks on the fuel gauge. maybe just re do the whole lot this time...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
And I always thought my speedo face was unique. Only at night with the dash lights on, it shows little white specks all over the face. Does that sound like what others have, or is mine still unique?
yeah sounds teh same I will see if I can get a pic.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Got a pic of it. looks a bit worse in real life. Not a big problem its just that its in my face every day so i'd like to get it sorted.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Guys I recieved my speedo face from passpeedo today. $100 plus $20 postage. I will attempt to fit it later this week.

Any tips on removing the speedo needle and uncrimping the speedo bezzle (and re crimping) appreciated
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Indicam,

Nope, don't think so, I'm no artist.

Mastertech? eh, maybe; but definately no artist. I'll leave that up to the guage people.

Duncan

Quick Reply: Speedo face finish.