Speedo face finish.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DOH!

I should have just left it as it was

Took my speedo out today and brought it to work with the intention of changing the new face I received from america.

Removing the bezzle was a pain and quite time consuming but in the end came off ok.
The needle did not want to come off. It would not budge.Now I probably would have left it but because I'd already removed the bezzle it seemed daft not to continue. In the end I pulled it off with a pair of pliers. making sure I was pulling as streight as possible.

Removeing the face and plastic inserts and fitting the new face was streight forward. Things were looking up. Until that is I attempted to re fit the needle.
I couldnt get it on. I had marked exactly where the needle had pointed before removal.

Maybe I lost concentration for a split second and was on an angle or I had weekend the pin removing the needle because as I was pushing the needle the pin snapped

So now I have a knackered speedo and a car I cant drive. Ive phoned Palo alto speedo up and they said over the phone approx $150 plus packaging to repair so I will post it out in the morning.
I'm really annoyed with myself. Ive done this before on other cars ok and helped freinds when they have changed the colour of their faces. when I do on the most expensive car Ive owned I mess it up.

Feel like a prat. So a warning to all out there who are as cack handed as me. Be careful.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I had the same flaking - North Hollywood sorted me out too
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pesty,

I too have tried that and snapped the pin. But it happened as I was removing the needle. Oh well, just through it on the ground, stomp on it, and then take the 10-lb sledge to it and all your prayers will be answered.

Just remember to write down the milage.

Duncan
Old 08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty
DOH!
Ive phoned Palo alto speedo up and they said over the phone approx $150 plus packaging to repair so I will post it out in the morning.
pesty - did you get this done OK in the end? (I'm just about to send them mine - or maybe North Hollywood Speedo)
Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem with the speedo face flaking and had N. Hollywood Speedometer redo all of the guage faces in white - that was approximately 3 years ago and the problem has never returned. I had my mechanic ship the gauges to NHS via Fed-Ex and they had them back in 3-4 days. As I recall, it was around $300 to redo all five gauges.

[no affiliation with NHS]

Regards,

John
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
pesty - did you get this done OK in the end? (I'm just about to send them mine - or maybe North Hollywood Speedo)

Yes fine ,Palo alto speedo did a great job after my ham fisted botch up. speedo face as new. took around 8-10 days door to door as I recal but they had to replace the movement not bad I didnt think when you concider the distance.

Note they also calibrated it which means its bang on with the road angel. which means I no longer have that little safety net for speed camera's etc. not a problem just something to be aware of.

Tip. Dont wrap it all up beofre the carrier comes to pick it up if your using one.they need to see whats in the box and made me take it all apart about half a ton of bubble wrap. well the one I used did anyway cant remember which one it was.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently contacted North Hollywood and they quoted me a new speedo face installed for $100 plus S&H. I didn't think that was too bad. I am leary of doing it myself and screwing up the odometer. But then the odo gear shredded and I paid my local shop $100 ro replace the gear. He told me that he couldn't get the speedo face alone and I would need a whole kit. I just had him replace the gear since I've replaced all my other gauges with ones from a 993.

But if you want to DIY the project there is a write up on p-car.com.

Quick Reply: Speedo face finish.