Do I discharge my A/C system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:04 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I discharge my A/C system?

I've decided that since winter's on its way I'm going to wait until the spring to fix my A/C system (the compressor died). Should I have the system discharged in the interim, or would it be better to leave the refrigerant in it. The condensor and evaporator are still good, as well as all the lines, and I don't want to have to replace these as well.

Brian
Old 09-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Refrigerant also has lubricant in it, so discharging the system may cause your seals to dry out. Not running the A/C from time to time can also have the same effect.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:36 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. Keeping the system under pressure will prevent the introduction of air or moisture that could degrade the system. I don't know of any down side, other than you could be a little more likely to spring a leak.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:38 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay, good. I know the best option is just to fix it, but I don't have the money or the inclination to fix it right now. Thanks for the info, guys.
Brian
Old 09-09-2004, 10:57 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Okay, so question #2 then...
Is it okay to remove my A/C belt? It's not really running anything anyway if the compressor isn't working, right?
Brian
Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I received my new condensor and removed the caps the manufacturer had put on the 2 ports there was a rush of compressed air when the seal was broken. I suspect the same will happen when I remove the caps on the new drier. Makes sense to pressurize the units while they're stored as springer3 points out to keep out any moisture - I'm not sure if they go to any trouble in making sure the compressed air they inject is dry? Leaving the system under pressure is probably a good idea - I'd leave the belt on and turn on the compressor everyonce in awhile just so it doesn't cease in position. Also, if you use defrost the compressor is switched on.

bill
90c2
Old 09-09-2004, 11:58 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Darth, my compressor is already seized so I don't need to worry about it not being oiled when I don't run it! I'm just wondering if the pulley needs the load on it, or if I can just remove that belt and have one less moving piece to worry about.
Brian
Old 09-10-2004, 12:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Just pull off the belt - no worries - one less one to break... right Springer??!!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:05 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed!. If the compressor is seized, bad things will happen if you engage defrost. As Darth pointed out, it caused the compressor to engage. My one dent in an otherwise pristine car is in the engine lid from a broken AC belt.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The easiest solution is to disconnect the clutch circuit connector.. You will find the wire coming out of the compressor, a few inches away is a clear insulator, gently pull the male female spaded wire connector apart.. Tape the wire end with electrical tape.. Good to go till you replace the unit.. Having the pully free-wheel won't damage anything...
Old 09-12-2004, 11:59 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kevin. I disconnected the lead, but I didn't think to cover it with tape so I'll do that too. I did remove the belt though because it looks like it's on it's last leg.
Brian

Quick Reply: Do I discharge my A/C system?