Sponsored by:

Do you just throw away parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 03:41 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Do you just throw away parts?

I've been accumulating some needed and some (might need) parts for my project and also have other parts from previous cars about. I hate to throw stuff out and the project could certainly use the money but....

At what point is your time to list, negotiate, sell and ship parts simply worth more than what you get for the parts? Skipping this part of the process (just throwing stuff away) would speed up the end result for sure. So do you guys throw away or just keep hoarding?

Old 06-08-2024, 07:01 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

i always do bundles (for example when i converted my blue car from C4 to C2) and sell those bundles for a fair price but with my priority, that everything - and most prio the big stuff - goes quite fast..
As i have two 964 - i keep small parts that could potentially be useful at the other car - in if it is just to sort out an issue before buying new parts - or cars of my friends...

In the time when i tracked my car as a C4, i always kept at least on fresh pair of front and rear axles at my garage...
Old 06-10-2024, 08:51 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

I save them for a little while, then it depends on my mood at the time of day I'm in the garage cleaning. Then it either gets chucked or graduated to storage.
The following users liked this post:
0luke1 (06-11-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 10:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I hate to say how many parts I sold at Hershey swap meet for pennies I now wish I kept. Some are worth thousands today. Most everything has value so these days I keep most everything if it is broken I try to fix it or it gets tossed. I am still buying constantly as many of the parts I buy are used on 3-5 of my cars so keeping spares is IMO prudent. It is always cheaper when you don't need it for some reason. LOL There are some parts I don't need but selling is a royal PITA and if I ask $5 for a $50 item people want to pay $2. Even bundling helps but is still tough. So to me it isn't worth the effort. So I have a shed and two large attic spaces filled with parts. Although if I toss or sell something I have sitting on shelf for years there is no doubt inevitably a need will arise shortly after.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:56 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Isn't that always how it goes? Keep it forever and need it after selling....

That's my issue. Im diving into this project where the disassembled car is expanding into every corner of the garage...so the space, mostly, is the premium. If I can keep it tight and clean of junk everywhere (junk waiting to sell or waiting to ship...) I feel like it will pay me back somewhat in time saved.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

I’m a pack rat. It’s rare I fit parts taken off the car back on it, but I have found that it helps others in need. For example:

I loaned a clock to a fellow Rennlister to see if his was causing an alternator issue. It was.

I sent early rear suspension top mounts to the UK

I sent an old alternator to Australia so they could harvest the shaft

I loaned an old oil pressure sensor to a local to help diagnose an oil gauge issue.

The headlights from my Turbo 3.6 helped a crashed C2 get back on the road.

Even broken things can be useful eg I had a window motor with a broken gearbox. I mated it with another unit that had the opposite problem and made one good one.

Old 06-10-2024, 07:16 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 151 Posts

I threw away trash cans full of Porsche parts. Getting ready to Scrap a 964 Tip trans
Old 06-10-2024, 08:36 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
I threw away trash cans full of Porsche parts. Getting ready to Scrap a 964 Tip trans
lol my tip has to go as well!
I think even the starter is tip specific
Old 06-11-2024, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I have a few friends with tip cars maybe they are interested in some of those parts.

It is amazing how much space a disassembled car can take up. Most of my storage shed 12 x 20 is full of spare body parts and my garage is still impacted by parts from other projects. I have become a master at finding ways to store parts in small places however when I find I need something I figured I wouldn't need anytime soon I have to pull everything out to find what I need which can be a royal PITA.

What is mostly disturbing is when I look at what most of these parts cost new I could buy 1-2 964's. GL getting a quarter their value although like John I have a number of friends who always need parts and lately I have been the go to guy for 964 parts that the dealership can't get or get in a timely fashion for classic projects. Since my son moved out I have taken over his gaming room which is mostly filled with parts from his cars but have a bunch of parts in small spaces like this. Although this is an old photo, when it was more organized and now has probably double the mess. X about 6 and you have most of it. I guess I am a hoarder

Old 06-11-2024, 01:23 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I struggle with this as well. When I bought my 94', the previous owner kept everything. I mean everything and I still have them too... Worn half shafts, worn out suspension components. Literally threw away nothing and I think it is time I do. I have every part to return my car to 100% stock, but I don't need to be hanging onto these wear items.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-11-2024, 01:58 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 256 Posts

Oh you never know. Maybe one day you will need to cut the ends off some C4 front cv axles to make 993 wheel carriers work with 964 ABS and you will be awfully glad you hoarded some old ones.
I throw nothing away, but if someone needs it, I'll give it away!
Greg Wolfe (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:29 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm learning to hoard parts and wear items when I see them for a good price. With other cars in past i've always sold oem parts to fund the new modified options.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:32 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

I think Im learning to just be extra extra careful about buying parts that you might not need.

Just heppened today: I am reselling these Fikse wheels that are a little aggressive for my car. Guy chats me, we talk back and forth, arrange a time for him to come see them. He shows up, we examine them - he has no idea if they will fit (I did give detailed measurments/specs in the ad). He wants to take 2 with him and leave a deposit so he can go see how they fit. Now, these are race wheels, he's not going to be able to mess them up...but now he's on his way back because they were too close of a fit and the deal isn't happening. I'm not really dinging the guy that much, he's nice enough and we talked shop but this is just to say how time consuming the "extra" parts are. I'm not throwing away the Fikse for sure but I think a bunch of parts are hitting the can today. I'm about over it and I simply don't have time with 2 964 projects now progressing.

Not to mention the fact that I listed my stuff lcoal to avopid shipping and payment hassles - but then someone asks if I will ship a $75 part, I say yes, for $100 shipped. Then they want to send payment paypal "for protection" (paypal sucks if you dont know). I explained that I would make the consession to ship it but payment has to be 100% cleared first...I offered him references but no go...so it seems he wanted to get parts then complain about them (this is what people do) to paypal and get their money back. Scams everywhere.

Last edited by jeff33702; 06-11-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

It used to be a lot easier to sell stuff online. These days, I find myself holding on to things I don't really need or want want anymore simply because selling them is such a hassle.

As for 964 parts, I don't see any of them getting less expensive over time so there's that.
964Luftballoon (06-13-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 07:06 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Oh you never know. Maybe one day you will need to cut the ends off some C4 front cv axles to make 993 wheel carriers work with 964 ABS and you will be awfully glad you hoarded some old ones.
I throw nothing away, but if someone needs it, I'll give it away!
Ha! Exactly Dave!

I used to also sell off OEM parts to help hedge my aftermarket goodies. Not so much now-a-days, but at the expense of taking up more room.

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: Do you just throw away parts?