Sponsored by:

Do you just throw away parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 07:07 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I think Im learning to just be extra extra careful about buying parts that you might not need.

Just heppened today: I am reselling these Fikse wheels that are a little aggressive for my car. Guy chats me, we talk back and forth, arrange a time for him to come see them. He shows up, we examine them - he has no idea if they will fit (I did give detailed measurments/specs in the ad). He wants to take 2 with him and leave a deposit so he can go see how they fit. Now, these are race wheels, he's not going to be able to mess them up...but now he's on his way back because they were too close of a fit and the deal isn't happening. I'm not really dinging the guy that much, he's nice enough and we talked shop but this is just to say how time consuming the "extra" parts are. I'm not throwing away the Fikse for sure but I think a bunch of parts are hitting the can today. I'm about over it and I simply don't have time with 2 964 projects now progressing.

Not to mention the fact that I listed my stuff lcoal to avopid shipping and payment hassles - but then someone asks if I will ship a $75 part, I say yes, for $100 shipped. Then they want to send payment paypal "for protection" (paypal sucks if you dont know). I explained that I would make the consession to ship it but payment has to be 100% cleared first...I offered him references but no go...so it seems he wanted to get parts then complain about them (this is what people do) to paypal and get their money back. Scams everywhere.
I once bought a set of D90 wheels from here because they were $250. No other reason. Heck, they won't even fit my car. Why would I do that? Still have them if someone needs a set. lol

Mr. Wolfe
The following users liked this post:
Meatball964 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 08:17 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts

Im trying to sort the garage by the weekend.... We have a mailman who collects scrap. I gave him the tiptronic... Felt good.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:03 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

It's good to have friends that hoard parts. I don't know if my friends hoard parts because they were jealous of how many parts i have hidden away? Or if i hoard parts because i wanted to emulate them? Or if all we hoarders just found each other...like alien hoarder magnets.

But i know within a small range of very few miles, we have enough to build a few cars if anyone has a chassis or two to donate.

...and an engine block. No one has an extra block.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:58 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
No one has an extra block.
no one...yet
Old 06-12-2024, 07:45 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 288 Posts

Any of you kind enthusiasts have an extra pair of RS uprights laying around? Or perhaps a varioram intake? ^^^^^^^
Old 06-12-2024, 10:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Oh you never know. Maybe one day you will need to cut the ends off some C4 front cv axles to make 993 wheel carriers work with 964 ABS and you will be awfully glad you hoarded some old ones.
I throw nothing away, but if someone needs it, I'll give it away!
Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by Vegas993
It used to be a lot easier to sell stuff online. These days, I find myself holding on to things I don't really need or want want anymore simply because selling them is such a hassle.

As for 964 parts, I don't see any of them getting less expensive over time so there's that.
Agreed and now they want to tax the used parts I am selling. Enough!!!

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
I once bought a set of D90 wheels from here because they were $250. No other reason. Heck, they won't even fit my car. Why would I do that? Still have them if someone needs a set. lol

Mr. Wolfe
Been there done that. I spent the day yesterday sorting spare wheel sets. The pile is getting larger and I have a few D90's, every size cup I, CCW's and other brands just lying around. Compounded by multiple sets for the GT4 and the cayman S track wheel sets. Then the multiple barrels and sets of speedlines and the RSR set which have proven to be a good investment. Actually was going to mount a D90 to the wall outside and use it for hose real when the Mrs said enough. I also have all the original and worn parts from my turbo which I don't plan to toss. I have been know to use the old worn parts and fabricate parts from them. I have collected a number of rear side taillights others were tossing years ago. I strip the wiring harnesses and use them for additional 4th and 5th brake lights. Then there are the parts left over from other projects not car related. I also make my own furniture house and yard art. Love to wood work but have no time lately.

Sadly after spending several hours procrastinating finishing the chillout suit install on the Sh!tBox for my son so he can drive LRP this Thursday in this heat I sorted through all sorts of parts that piled up from all the projects I have been doing lately. The idea was to purge after reading this. I made multiple piles. (Sadly I need help like my wife going through her wardrobe, Which is far more extensive than my parts collection ) Somebody needs to push me to toss stuff. I seem to find a potential need for most everything but a small handful of parts did get tossed. It was incredibly painful.

As a side note you never know what something can be repurposed for. I have an aluminum gate for my back yard pool area. When I need to keep it open, an old torsion bar from one of my old 914's does the job perfectly.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-12-2024 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Greg Wolfe (06-13-2024), Vegas993 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Any of you self-proclaimed hoarders have a cracked/chipped/bent engine fan taking up space? Or an extra set of 964 front control arms?

Andreas
Old 06-13-2024, 03:12 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

i'm considering buying engine parts just to have laying around....after seeing autobahn sell a full engine for 20+k....might be worth it?
Old 06-14-2024, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

It's good to have friends that hoard parts. I don't know if my friends hoard parts because they were jealous of how many parts i have hidden away? Or if i hoard parts because i wanted to emulate them? Or if all we hoarders just found each other...like alien hoarder magnets.

But i know within a small range of very few miles, we have enough to build a few cars if anyone has a chassis or two to donate.

I hate to admit it this puts me over the top for hoarding but I have a never used factory case (block) without a serial number already machined for 109mm 3.8 or larger barrels. I also have a few transmissions both 5 and 6 speeds. Along with a spare stripped out tub and enough parts to build an entire car. I just don't have the time and getting too old to start another long project. But you never know. LOL

Last edited by cobalt; 06-14-2024 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (06-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Do you just throw away parts?