Sponsored by:

Boxster to 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:02 PM
webini
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster to 964

99 Boxster owner here. Always wanted a 964 and am tired of the Boxster (and the rapid depreciation). Looking for opinions please.

Found an 89 C4 at a high end European car dealer I have bought a couple of cars from. Asking price is $25,900 - red w/black interior, manual. Aftermarket 17" wheels. Have not seen the maintenance records yet but they apparently exist.

I have yet to drive the car but want to go with as much knowledge as possible. A few questions:

- I have no idea of the market for the 964. I am thinking $25,900 is about $3,000 high. ??? This dealer sells only well sorted cars. He is offering $20,000 for my 99 Boxster, 37,000 miles, Tiptronic, new top, new tires, excellent condition.

- What is the issue with the flywheel on the 89? What to look for?

- The aftermarket wheels concern me. Looks are OK, but I am concerned about weight and offset. Are there adjustments that should be made when putting 17s on a 964?

- Suggestions regarding anything else I should be looking for are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Last edited by webini; 05-20-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boxster to 964

Originally posted by webini
99 Boxster owner here. Always wanted a 964 and am tired of the Boxster (and the rapid depreciation).
I always understood the boxster was the slowest depreciating car period! I know it is for a fact in the UK and thought the same here in the states.

Firstly - plan on having a PPI for any car you are serious about buying.

$25 and up is about right for a well maintained, clean example.

'89 has no flywheel issue (its a single mass)- in 1990 a dual-mass wheel was introduced that has reportedly failed on some owners at around 30,000 miles. However, I would inquire as to whether a clutch replacement has taken place. (it will be covered in the PPI...you are planning on a PPI right??!!)

Are the wheels original Porsche wheels? If you know the make and offsets then we can advise, however I expect they are ok as they are on the car already - this is probably a big plus (as long as you like them)

Hope this helps and I'm sure the more knowledgeable board members will chime in!

Good luck and happy hunting!

PS. Don't forget that PPI!!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
webini
Advanced

Howard:

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately values on the Boxster (especially the pre 2000 2.5 models) have really started to fall. There is glut on the market right now.

The wheels are not OEM. I will find out the make and offsets.

And yes, a PPI is a absolutely going to happen.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:17 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those look like 18" Speedline Aliseo's--very cool. Speedline is an OEM supplier to Porsche and made the 964 3.6 turbo wheels, among others.

I'm not sure about the weight (www.wheelweights.net might have something) but using a wider than stock rim on an '89 may cause some rub up front at full lock. That can be prevented with spacers, a Factory steering stop used on 92-on cars or correct offsets. Ideal numbers, according to Joel Reiser- PCA Tech Advisor, are 52 f and 47 r.

I'm sure you could get a decent price if you decide to sell the Speedlines (if that's in fact what they are). Offsets in the 50mm range can be used on a range of cars, including the 986, 964, 993 and 996 and track guys love those 18's, provided they aren't too heavy.

Car looks cherry and will provide a nice adrenalin rush compared to your well-mannered roadster. I test drove a 2.5 and it's very capable ... it's just not as fun or cool, IMHO.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:18 AM
JoeW
Pro

Then I'd think the price is near the top end of the market for a well-sorted car -- whether or not it's well-sorted depends on the PPI of course. The wheels are in a very desirable "Speedline" style so they are a plus if you like the looks and they aren't, as you say, too heavy. This car originally had the D-90s, you know.

For all you can see in a digital image, the car looks pretty well put together. How's the paint?

As part of the PPI I'm assuming you'll ask for a leakdown test. You can tell a lot about the condition of the engine and, if it's not be rebuilt, its maintenance from that.

If you like the car, the PPI and a close gaze at those maintenance records would seem to be the next step. Joe W.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too think that price is at the very top for an '89 C4. $3000 to $4000 lower would be a nice price point to be at... How many miles are on this car?

That car will need a distributor vent kit, but that's very minor. If it's a very early '89 car, it might need a rear light vent kit to help keep moisture out of the rear lamps. Again minor.

Cylinder to head leaks are rare, but that should be checked for in the PPI as a precaution. Again, as Kahdmus mentions, the '89's don't have the DMF...

Make sure all of the warning lights are lighting up when you first turn on the ignition. Get out the owner's manual before firing up the car, note which lights should be lit and then turn the key to the 'on' position. It seems common for people to just yank the bulb behind the idiot light that is on instead of fixing the problem.

Insure all of the electrical accesories work as well. Electrical problems can be hard to diagnose and expensive to fix.

Other than that, check all the normal used car items that you would look for on a 15 year old car.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 05-21-2004, 03:10 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi, Mark.

Adrian Streather's book, 'Auftragsnummer 964 - Porsche 911 Enthusiast's Companion', published by Bentley, ISBN 0-8376-0293-9 would be a very good investment.

It tells you everything to watch out for when buying, etc.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Mark.......... welcome to the bunch!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Hi, Mark.

Adrian Streather's book, 'Auftragsnummer 964 - Porsche 911 Enthusiast's Companion', published by Bentley, ISBN 0-8376-0293-9 would be a very good investment.

It tells you everything to watch out for when buying, etc.
And don't forget the Ultimate Buyers' Guide by that Raby fellow; www.petermorgan.org.uk/ Less outlay if you haven't committed to buying a 964
Old 05-21-2004, 09:32 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Oops! Oh yes, that too!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark

What's the mileage of the car?

Cheers
Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Phil Raby, when do we see you back in a Porsche....? Stil no mental problems that you sold it??

By the way, I never see any posts of John FM anymore, is he not an active Rennlist user anymore?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Arjan B.
Phil Raby, when do we see you back in a Porsche....? Stil no mental problems that you sold it??

By the way, I never see any posts of John FM anymore, is he not an active Rennlist user anymore?
Hi Arjan, I miss the Porsche a lot! I bought another one (the Japanese one) which was a lovely car, but I've since sold it to a guy in Northern Ireland. There's been a delay on the ZT so I may get another 964 in the interim.

In the long run, I'll certainly get another 964 for keeps.

I saw JohnFM yesterday, he's fine, but busy with various things.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 AM
webini
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Nice to see that people are as friendly and helpful as on the Boxster board I usually frequent!

The car has 67,xxx miles. The paint seems very presentable when I took a quick look the other day (wife in the car prevented detailed examination). Needed a good Zanio treatment or two, but I did not see anything obvious.

The dealer swears that the wheels are 17s but I will take a look and report back.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

Mark
Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

67k is a relatively low mileage, which is good news. Look for a good service history and have a leak-down test done - early cars can leak around cylinder heads, although many were modified under warranty.

I'd guess the wheels are 17in - shall we have a wager?

Can't comment on foriegn prices, but red's not the most popular colour right now, which will make it harder to sell...

Quick Reply: Boxster to 964