Sponsored by:

Boxster to 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:35 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Raby
And don't forget the Ultimate Buyers' Guide by that Raby fellow; www.petermorgan.org.uk/ Less outlay if you haven't committed to buying a 964
I can sell you a copy half price

Paul
Old 05-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You two could have simply swapped cars!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:37 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by webini
Are you seeing too much wear in the picture or is this just a general caution? The seat wear seemed reasonable to me for a 15 year old car.

Mark
Both. I also said it is impossible to tell from pictures. The degree of wear evident in that picture seems excessive for 67,xxx miles. My only reference is my car at 53,xxx miles, where the seat shows no significant wear. Either the miles are higher than indicated, or these were mostly short-hop miles. Short trips put more wear cycles on the seats, and are harder on the car than highway miles.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:57 PM
asbi
Racer

Just my 2c...

Look at lots of cars and look for reasons NOT to buy them, when you find the right car you will know. Most of the cars in dealers are not the best cars, the best cars will have had a small number of owners who will have taken pride in keeping their car in excellent condition.

I looked at 9 cars before I found my car, 59k 3 owners, 14 years old Marine Blue C2. There is no visible wear anywhere on this car, not even on the gearlever and handbrake leather. Paintwork is original and near concours.

There are some great cars out there, take oyur time and don't buy the first car you see, comments respectfully made...
Regards,
kevin.
Marine Blue C2 Coupe 1990
Guards Red C2 Coupe 1990 (Sold)

PS My car does still have the Freudenberg DMF so I will still have to spend some money on it soon!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pictures were not visible when I first looked in on this thread. I always find that interior pictures are overly flattering and therefore this interior looks very worn. Also, I dont think the paint looks too great (again, hard to tell from a pic - my paint always looks WAY better in the pics I post than reality!) However, just look at JB's pics to see how brilliant and deep that red paint can be by comparison!!!!

I think the rims look bigger than Joey's based on the amount of tire showing, but its very deceiving in a picture...I'd probably wager 18" from a looks perspective, but 17" from a probability standpoint!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric-17 .... That is one very cool avatar ....
Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Eric-17

Originally posted by Bins
Eric-17 .... That is one very cool avatar ....
Thanks! It is meant to refer to my love of PC's and technology and the growing realization that I'm more the 'idoit' than the 'geek'... For me it's become a hobby as I'm a logistic's manager type by trade... I used to think I new a lot about my PC's...
Old 05-21-2004, 05:02 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Kahdmus
However, just look at JB's pics to see how brilliant and deep that red paint can be by comparison!!!!

Nice of you to say that, Howard. I tend to agree - I do think that paintwork looks somewhat tired, 'though it can be hard to tell from a picture.

I'm with the 18" opinion, BTW.

Oh and here's a gratuitous pic to show nice, red paint.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

~$26K is WAAAAY overpriced for this C4. Keep looking, or wait until this dealer drops his price to a more reasonable level. This does appear to be a pretty clean car, but an 89 C4 should be $20K or less IMO.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:31 PM
dove
Banned

Default Re: Boxster to 964

Originally posted by webini
99 Boxster owner here. Always wanted a 964 and am tired of the Boxster (and the rapid depreciation). Looking for opinions please.

Found an 89 C4 at a high end European car dealer I have bought a couple of cars from. Asking price is $25,900 - red w/black interior, manual. Aftermarket 17" wheels. Have not seen the maintenance records yet but they apparently exist.

I have yet to drive the car but want to go with as much knowledge as possible. A few questions:

- I have no idea of the market for the 964. I am thinking $25,900 is about $3,000 high. ??? This dealer sells only well sorted cars. He is offering $20,000 for my 99 Boxster, 37,000 miles, Tiptronic, new top, new tires, excellent condition.

- What is the issue with the flywheel on the 89? What to look for?

- The aftermarket wheels concern me. Looks are OK, but I am concerned
about weight and offset. Are there adjustments that should be made when putting 17s on a 964?

- Suggestions regarding anything else I should be looking for are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Why would you want a twitchy 911 after owning the best handling car Porsche have ever produced ? I sold my 964 for a Boxster and cant get enough of the mid engined riding on rails feeling.The obvious difference for me was the reduced power as I have a 2.5 but the box is much more fun than the 964.A guy at Harston OPC in cambs was telling me that the 2.5's and the 2.7's were blowing away non turbo 911's,964 and 993's at a recent Porsche only track day he attended and frankly I cant wait to track my Box something I never felt like doing with the 964.The Boxsters handling inspires confidence in your driving ability.
Go for a Boxster "S".
Paul
Old 05-21-2004, 05:35 PM
webini
Advanced

Originally posted by John Boggiano
I tend to agree - I do think that paintwork looks somewhat tired, 'though it can be hard to tell from a picture.
The pictures are lousy I will admit. Lo res and the color appears washed out due to the lighting. The paint is actually in vg to ex condition. It could do with a good Zanio treatment.

Mark
Old 05-21-2004, 05:40 PM
webini
Advanced

Default Re: Re: Boxster to 964

Originally posted by dove
Why would you want a twitchy 911 after owning the best handling car Porsche have ever produced ? I sold my 964 for a Boxster and cant get enough of the mid engined riding on rails feeling.The obvious difference for me was the reduced power as I have a 2.5 but the box is much more fun than the 964.A guy at Harston OPC in cambs was telling me that the 2.5's and the 2.7's were blowing away non turbo 911's,964 and 993's at a recent Porsche only track day he attended and frankly I cant wait to track my Box something I never felt like doing with the 964.The Boxsters handling inspires confidence in your driving ability.
Go for a Boxster "S".
Paul
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my Boxster. I did make a mistake not getting a 2000 "S" and would like to go back to a 6 speed (the Tip was my wife's idea ) . The thought of another Boxster just does not excite me enough to shell out more cash. A 964 does. I've always wanted one and the 964 seems to be the best combo of looks / reliability / cost for me. And the AWD in New England lets me drive more than 5 months out of the year.

An emotional purchased to sure, but then again what Porsche purchase isn't? Do appreciate the feedback though!

Mark
Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Nice of you to say that, Howard. I tend to agree - I do think that paintwork looks somewhat tired, 'though it can be hard to tell from a picture.

I'm with the 18" opinion, BTW.

Oh and here's a gratuitous pic to show nice, red paint.
Thanks for proving my point....WOW!

Last edited by Kahdmus; 05-22-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you driven a C4 964 yet? I would first drive it before making your final choice. They feel VERY heavy. They even feel heavier than the 928!!(but it's not). I used to own a 1992 C4 before I settled on a 928 GTS. Trust me, it makes the 928 feel light on it's feet. Even the steering is heavier than the old non-power assited 911s and is very numb.

I haven't driven a C2 964s, but it just has to be better than the C4. And especially coming from a Boxster, I would check out the C2 first...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM
webini
Advanced

I have decided to pass on this particular 964. I will look for a C2. I did not care for the "heavyness" of the C4. And there were some unanswered questions.

BTW, the wheels were 17".

Thanks to everyone for their help. The search continues...

Quick Reply: Boxster to 964