Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Inop. Motor & Fuse OK. What Should I Check Next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 AM
grsilvia1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Inop. Motor & Fuse OK. What Should I Check Next?

Good Evening Everyone,

My 90 C2 passenger side power window is not working. The switches on both the driver's and passenger's side are broken also (passenger side switch came apart in my hand yesterday, replaced it with the driver's side switch with no luck).

I removed the motor and it works. I tested the +12v leads to the switch on the passenger side and there isn't any power (the drivers side door panel has a switch to operate the passenger side window and it has power). I visually checked the wires in the passenger side door panel, as best as I could, and all seems OK.

So what should I check next? Is there a time delay somewhere that may have been shorted due to the broken switch?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Gary
Old 05-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to measure firts, check if the connector from the switch has power. No power means no power to pass thru to the motor. There is a sort of delay that works on your interior light switch. After opening the door and colsing it, window can not be moved unless you put your ignition switch on.

May be someone can mail you a electrical drawing by pdf file.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:41 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

The broken switches usually cause a short. Please double-check that all fuses are working; try adjusting the sunroof--it's the same circuit. Now, make sure you've got THREE functioning switches and then see if that doesn't cure it.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, I seem to recall that before I replaced my window switches that BOTH windows failed due to one bad switch. Try replacing both switches and see if that helps.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, you know you have two bad window switches, so replace 'em...and go from there. You might be surprised to find that is all it takes to fix your window issues.

I'm on my THIRD switch for the passenger window and have to turn this one in on warranty as it came apart last Friday.

What's up with these things!??
Old 05-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

the switches are fairly inexpensive and usually in sotck at the dealer. I also saw an ebay auction for two switches.

I carry a spare switch along with my spare DME relay.

Colin
Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a bad idea. I almost missed out on a track day because I couldn't get the window down just days before an event. You see, your required to drive with windows down. Luckily, my local Porsche dealer had some in stock but it could've been hugely disappointing.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

both switches form a circuit, they use a coman switched power lead from the fuse- if one is broke the window will not work...so if one of the 2 switches for the passager side are broke no workie...

the 964 switch usually castrofically fails - they are pretty flimsy..and easy to see - but cheap to fix.

any way i would check the grounds next then move up the chain.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

Gary

The very same thing happened to my '91 last summer. Both switches went out (one shattered) at about the same time. I was going wild, until I replaced them both. Immediately went back to normal operation.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:16 PM
grsilvia1
Track Day

Thank you all for the great advice.

I removed both of the switches that operate the passenger window as they were broken and tried the drivers side switch in each of the other two positions. Seems like I need a good swith in each of the positions for the passenger window to work. I hadn't ordered two new switches yet as I wasn't sure if I would need any other parts so I could order all at the same time.

I will order the two switches today. If that doesn't work I'll repost to ask for further guidance.

As far as getting the window down with a broken switch, with the passenger side switch removed you can apply +12v to either the blue wire or the blue wire with the white stripe and ground the other. Depending on which you apply +12v will determine if the window goes up or down. In my situation, the window was in the lowered position. The blue and blue/white wires connect directly to the window motor.

Thanks again for the help.
Gary
Old 05-12-2004, 07:54 PM
grsilvia1
Track Day

Yahoo, it now works.

I received and installed the two window switches and the window operates normally. Thank you all for the help.

Gary

Quick Reply: Power Window Inop. Motor & Fuse OK. What Should I Check Next?