Door stay broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Toon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door stay broken

Hi,

the metal sheet inside the leftside door, that is connected to the doorstay, is broken of and causes a very annouying clicking noise.

It probably needs to be welded.

Has anyone had the same problem and what did it costs you to fix it?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:10 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a common problem I believe...and I think there's a fix available...I'll look.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:12 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Yep - type911 do a repair kit.

http://www.type-911.co.uk/gp_exteriors.htm

"911 Door Strap Repair Kit, repairs door strap area damage without welding, kit repairs one door (not A pillar) in minutes, complete with instructions" £54.00
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Toon
Instructor

Unhappy

Rob,

how will that work? Have you done this yourself also?
The metal strap is broken off at 1 side, I don't see how those 2 plates will fix that.

And I don't want to find out after spending 54 Pounds that this is not what I need ....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:27 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If the check strap is what is broken, the "door check" assembly is also available. Sorry don't have the part numbers, but that is a common service part that any dealer and most shops will have on hand. If you don't know for sure what is broken, perhaps you should perform some disassembly to find exactly what you need. Good news is the car can be driven with the door check out of service. Just remember to hold on when the door is open! Good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Toon
Instructor

Springer,

I know exactly what is broken and it's not the door stay itself, that is ok.
It's the metal sheet inside the door that holds it, has broken off at one side.

So it should either be welded or the suggestion from Rob should be able to do it.

Although I do not see how...
Old 04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Hmmm - I'm not sure. I've not actually done the repair, but I have changed the door check straps (also from type911, although I bought mine from OPC)

Does this look like it will help? (£14 from type911)
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Rob, if my memory on what i've seen is correct ;-p then the part that the above attaches too is the inner door skin, that's where i've seen the skin tear horizontally, it then flexes as the door opens/closes and makes a creaking sound. I'd bee inclined to drill a very small hole at the end of the tear/crack, then tig weld the tear itself. (after first removing the batt, etc for elec isolation)

kevin
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toon,

For some reason, this problem pops up quite often on the 993 board. There's some belief Porsche deleted the weld inside the cabin, which helps minimize movement of and support the stay (I've not personally checked any 993s, so I don't know if this is true). Anyway, this problem does seem to be more common on the 993. Looks like the search function isn't returning many of the (good) threads from the past, but it still might be worth a shot to perform a search on the 993 board. If that doesn't give you the information you want, you could make a new post.

Here's an old thread from the 993 board:

Door Stay Thread

And, one from this board:

Door Stay Thread_2

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, this is very common on the 993's. I had to do THIS procedure on my car to relieve the stress causing the click. I might have shaved just a tad too much from the rubber blocks that create the pressure against the stop points to where I now only have subtle stops in the door opening mechanisms, but still enough to hold the door at the various stops. It really does nothing to fix the stress fracture forming on the door jamb, but just puts less pressure on it. Either way - I am now click free when opening and closing the door and I intend to put a spot weld on the frame to stabilize the stress fracture later on.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Toon
Instructor

Rob,

the picture you shown last is the door stay and that is fine on my car, but where the two bolts connect to the door itself is broken (the welds of the metal sheet inside the door).

Randall,

yeah I've searched the board and found the same 2 threads. But unfortunately the 933 one is about the connection to the A-pilar and that OK on my car.
And your original thread is missing the pictures so I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing there ....
Old 04-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Toon
Instructor

Brian,

that part is fine on my car. But where it connects to inside the door, that broken off ...
Old 04-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toon, any chance you can supply a picture?

BTW, my doors just swings wide open, with no resistance (always have) maybe I need to go check...!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by robmug
Yep - type911 do a repair kit.

http://www.type-911.co.uk/gp_exteriors.htm

"911 Door Strap Repair Kit, repairs door strap area damage without welding, kit repairs one door (not A pillar) in minutes, complete with instructions" £54.00
Why weld anything if you can bolt in a repair brace like this? From the looks if it, you will be at least twice as strong as the original. If you weld, you risk spatter getting on places where it does not belong, wiring damage, and you burn off the corrosion protection on both the inside and outside. Cosmetically, you would need to paint the weld, and it would still be obvious that the door was broken. Pay the £54.00, bolt the new parts in place, and be done with it.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toon,

Yup, I think the 993 problems have been limited to the A-pillar, though I could be mistaken. And yes, too bad the pictures are missing from those threads. There are many other good threads on the subject that are just flat-out gone. I'll post my pic from the 964 thread tonight. But, it was only the weld that's visible in the door jamb, at the A-pillar (body of the car), not on/inside the door itself.

This is the first I can remember someone having the weld fail on the door itself....

Quick Reply: Door stay broken