Feasibility of a 1050kg build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 12:56 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Feasibility of a 1050kg build?

Hi lightweight 964 enthusiasts,

I would love to learn from your experience. I am considering a 964 C2 coupe build. The goal is a fun car that will only be used for weekend fun drives when the weather is great. Of course, the lighter the better. Is 1050kg with all fluids and a full tank of gas doable?

I am okay to be without the following,
- wiper
- sound system
- rear seats
- sun roof
- power windows
- airbags

Ideally, I would like to have
- HVAC
- rear defroster
​​​​​​- non-bucket seats
- slightly flared fenders but staying narrow body
- large fuel tank (say 20+ gallons)
- some sound insulation
- a roll cage
- catalytic converters
- seam welded

How attainable is 1050kg?

Are the following must haves?
- Titanium alloy roll cage
- composite brake rotors
- Lightweight battery
- Lightweight non-bucket seats
- some composite body panels (would love pointers to high quality sources)
- Lightweight wheels
- Inconel exhaust

Is there a weight saving advantage to go with 5-speed vs 6-speed?

A 3.8L or 4.0L, high rpm (8000 rpm redline), around 400hp would be the target. Planning on going Motec.

Please share your input, pointers, and recommendations.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Very difficult.

you can see my build it is just over 2600 lbs. it’s fairly civil but to then match performance and comfort and weight

to lose another 300:
carbon hood
carbon doors but then you need roll bar weight
carbon deck
carbon fenders
plastic windows all around
no interior trimming
Strip wiring harnesses
minimize lighting
etc
Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Very difficult.

you can see my build it is just over 2600 lbs. it’s fairly civil but to then match performance and comfort and weight

to lose another 300:
carbon hood
carbon doors but then you need roll bar weight
carbon deck
carbon fenders
plastic windows all around
no interior trimming
Strip wiring harnesses
minimize lighting
etc
I was hoping that is not the case. I am about 10% into your build thread, great stuff!

Do carbon body parts save significant amount of weight?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:05 AM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

I am at 1160 KG without most of your wishes... I think you should have a look at the 200KG challenge and you will find out what's necessary to come to a weight near your 1050 KG.

I am still aiming for a number below 1100 - which means 1099 is fine for me, but this will be quite hard if you want to stay with regular doors. Plus I weight my car always without gas... so you need to count another 60KG gas in...

good Luck an please keep us updated - I like to learn how to loose weight!!! Always )

Greetez Tim
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts

I think there's a limit on going lightweight program and prioritize the safety of the operator/passenger. Just make a stout power plant to balance the performance rather than ransack the car's safety and amenities. Let's say 400 whp on 2500 lbs wet weight?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Hi lightweight 964 enthusiasts,
I would love to learn from your experience. I am considering a 964 C2 coupe build.
The goal is a fun car that will only be used for weekend fun drives when the weather is great. Of course, the lighter the better.
Is 1050kg with all fluids and a full tank of gas doable?
No, not with your list of have's and have not's, unfortunately...

Do carbon body parts save significant amount of weight?
Carbon Decklid, hood and sunroof delete will only net you a 40 kg saving or 90 lbs for my American cousins...
They're an easy way to shed weight but are expensive, I wouldn't do the doors unless you have a full cage for side protection.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:17 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timtim
Hi,

I am at 1160 KG without most of your wishes... I think you should have a look at the 200KG challenge and you will find out what's necessary to come to a weight near your 1050 KG.

I am still aiming for a number below 1100 - which means 1099 is fine for me, but this will be quite hard if you want to stay with regular doors. Plus I weight my car always without gas... so you need to count another 60KG gas in...

good Luck an please keep us updated - I like to learn how to loose weight!!! Always )

Greetez Tim
Thank you, Tim. I will spend quality time to read your threads. 1099kg would be fantastic!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:24 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
I think there's a limit on going lightweight program and prioritize the safety of the operator/passenger. Just make a stout power plant to balance the performance rather than ransack the car's safety and amenities. Let's say 400 whp on 2500 lbs wet weight?
I am in the early planning phase of this project. Depending on what I discover, I might be adjusting my targets to what you are suggesting!

What does it take to get to 400whp? Possible while keeping catalytic converter(s) and pump gas friendly static compression ratio?

Of course, high rpm is one key component for high hp. What is a realistic redline for an engine build? The Singer DLS engine is not within my budget. But I am willing to spend a good amount on the engine.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Safety wise, if there is a full roll cage and full-time 6-point harness, is forgoing air bags, bumpers, and steel door reasonable?
Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964George
No, not with your list of have's and have not's, unfortunately...

Carbon Decklid, hood and sunroof delete will only net you a 40 kg saving or 90 lbs for my American cousins...
They're an easy way to shed weight but are expensive, I wouldn't do the doors unless you have a full cage for side protection.
Any recommendations for high quality carbon body panels? I was hoping to not go carbon panels but would definitely consider them.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What does it take to get to 400whp? ... The Singer DLS engine is not within my budget. But I am willing to spend a good amount on the engine.
Turbocharging is the only realistic way you will get anywhere near 400fwhp.

Any recommendations for high quality carbon body panels?

There really aren't any high quality carbon fiber body panels available for the 964.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,066 Likes on 599 Posts

Going to a lithium battery is definitely a solid option to shed a few pounds and one that tends to be a good value from a price point in comparison to a lot of the other options.
We offer a straight drop in OEM fit with built in battery management and wireless jump starting but at about 70% less weight than your standard stock lead/acid. Please feel free to check it out below and let us know if you have any questions.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Old 05-18-2020, 01:34 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Turbocharging is the only realistic way you will get anywhere near 400fwhp.

There really aren't any high quality carbon fiber body panels available for the 964.
Bummer! Turbocharging adds weight and make the system a bit more complicated. I will have to adjust my power expectations. My assumption might be incorrect. All-in, are water-cooled engines significantly heavier than air-cooled engines?

Sounds like finding a shop that can do custom high quality carbon panels would be the only option if I go that route. I lean towards metal but will have to give up the weight saving.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Going to a lithium battery is definitely a solid option to shed a few pounds and one that tends to be a good value from a price point in comparison to a lot of the other options.
We offer a straight drop in OEM fit with built in battery management and wireless jump starting but at about 70% less weight than your standard stock lead/acid. Please feel free to check it out below and let us know if you have any questions.
https://youtu.be/W4zZ0ZAIRkc
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Thanks for the suggestion. It is definitely part of the plan!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:26 PM
964TT
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

My last build was around 1240kg wet with around 700hp from the turbo's.
I chose to have high end audio, but sacrificed AC unfortunately.
Carbon bonnet, carbon rear lid and carbon rear bumper. Light Fuchs wheels, carbon ceramic rotors (those saved 4kg per corner but come at a hefty price). Interior stripped to metal and redone RS fashion with lighter sound proofing and RS seats. I do have a roll bar as well.
Turbo system added quite some weight, two turbos and the chargecooler with the water system and pumps.
I spent some money on a titanium exhaust to try and shave some more weight from the rear.
On my current built I doubled the chargecooler size and had to lose the titanium exhaust for a new exhaust which needs to be fabricated so I am curious to see the new weight.
Ideally one would do a nice integrated roll cage a la RUF and get carbon doors.
That integrated roll cage has been on my mind for a while, that would add some nice stiffness to the car as well as the safety for on the track.
The following users liked this post:
964George (05-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Feasibility of a 1050kg build?