Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's my 964 worth? Trying to determine asking price.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 01:08 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your reputation can be killed with one PITA deal then maybe your reputation isn't that good to begin with. Having said that, it seems that you are good at what you do and I would not be that worried about the sale on BAT or wherever as long as you are open about the issues which you intend. There are other options like listing it under your significant others name. Why do you have to associate the sale with your business? Not everyone knows you or your business as not everyone is on rennlist or 964 specific forums. Ask an admin to delete this thread and go sell your car and stop overthinking it. What kind of business sense does it make for a dealer to make money on your property?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

My two cents. You’re obviously a solid engine rebuilder. Despite the leak down tests, the car is due for its next engine rebuild. Putting two and two together, this is a great project car and you should be commissioned to do the work. Win, win. And another 964 gets properly restored.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:11 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993
beautiful 964. Even with the miles - you did so much great time consuming and costly work to the car. Its like new from the photos and will go another 200k miles. buyer could send the CCU to Tore and source a used/rebuilt ABS module. The motor needs to be dropped eventually but they all do even low mile cars. around 50k +/- all day.

you think a 1989 with these high high miles , needs some things done, been repainted is worth $50,000 “all day long” , that’s quite optimistic, my guess was low to mid $30s maximum on a car like this that still needs some sorting out.

i agree with above poster, this would be sort of a project to even make it a $50,000 car which at these miles would be hard to imagine
Old 01-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

How many PM's so far?
Old 01-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

It's not quite clear to me from your description why the seller had to refund the money on the BAT sale. Was it clearly misrepresented?

If you are looking to maximize your price, list it on BAT, post hundreds of pix, offer for folks to do their own PPI prior to bidding and see what it brings. That way you avoid the tire kickers and time wasters. If you are not looking to maximize your price and want a quick sale outside BAT, list it for $35k here but even that won't protect you from people complaining afterwards.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

It's not quite clear to me from your description why the seller had to refund the money on the BAT sale. Was it clearly misrepresented?
No. The car was perfectly represented. The stains in the seat were shown in 3-4 pics, and discussed in the thread as well.

The seller had to risk losing his reputation if he didn't do as the buyer demanded, and as I said, BAT was pretty insufficient with their support during the whole thing. They were slow to respond, and made the buyer, and seller work it out on their own. I have sold a couple of non- Porsche vehicles on BaT and had a much better experience.

The problem today is modern humans that get pissy if things aren't perfect, done right away, and if the seller doesn't kiss their tail. Its entitlement 101. As the cars bring more and more money, the bar is artificially raised, too. My engines are the same way, I have had to resort to a very direct worksheet that purchasers fill out before I accept their work. The last question is "How would you react if the engine failed the day you received it?" One of the multiple choice answers is "Like a 12 year old"...

Anyway, I sold the 964 to a dealer earlier today, and left some money on the table for him to make. Thanks for all the comments, and insights.

Quick Reply: What's my 964 worth? Trying to determine asking price.