Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's my 964 worth? Trying to determine asking price.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts
Default What's my 964 worth? Trying to determine asking price.

The car has been sold to a dealer. Thanks.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 01-01-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:03 AM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
$30-35k.
i will take for 30😁
Old 12-31-2019, 06:27 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by revolution993
i will take for 30😁
$30,000 sounds about right , ABS module and I can already see a few thousand of things I’d want to do. The 1989 go for the least amount, highest one sold on BaT had 40K miles so half the miles and was in close to perfect condition and sold for $43-$44K a couple of months ago.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:41 AM
xgrudgex
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I would say 40-45 with the repaint. no rust and a rebuilt engine. She looks great and sounds like a great driver!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I think you can do much better than $30k, the miles are a turn off to most anyone as is the early production number. Motor may be great now but still has 100k miles on it; you didn't mention anything about suspension/brakes etc. Paint/wheels/interior look great and for someone looking to get into a 964 and go, this makes sense closer to $40k. Pretty hard to get into one for less than that these days unless a cab or tip and even Singer is paying that for a clean shell. I would think there should be a premium given your reputation; if I were looking to buy a C4 I would rather get one from you than take my chances elsewhere, even if you didn't build the motor.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I think you can do much better than $30k, the miles are a turn off to most anyone as is the early production number. Motor may be great now but still has 100k miles on it; you didn't mention anything about suspension/brakes etc. Paint/wheels/interior look great and for someone looking to get into a 964 and go, this makes sense closer to $40k. Pretty hard to get into one for less than that these days unless a cab or tip and even Singer is paying that for a clean shell. I would think there should be a premium given your reputation; if I were looking to buy a C4 I would rather get one from you than take my chances elsewhere, even if you didn't build the motor.
See, there’s the problem.. My reputation shouldn’t make any input on this sale. I develop, and build engines. I do t restore cars. I didn’t build the engine in this car, so the sale needs to be considered like anyone else that would own the car.

I suppose my best bet is to sell it to the dealer, who is giving me a good price based on what some of your estimates have been thus far. Appreciate your honesty.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:35 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

People who are seriously interested in a decent driver for personal use should PM Jake for the price he will get selling to a dealer.

win win
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
See, there’s the problem.. My reputation shouldn’t make any input on this sale. I develop, and build engines. I do t restore cars. I didn’t build the engine in this car, so the sale needs to be considered like anyone else that would own the car.

I suppose my best bet is to sell it to the dealer, who is giving me a good price based on what some of your estimates have been thus far. Appreciate your honesty.
I heard you were about to liquidate your aircooled Porsche collection. I saw a video on YouTube where some guy was interviewing you and taking a tour of your collection in a warehouse. Amazing! I would be a liar if I said I wasn't a little jealous. Interesting that you're keeping the 912E. I assume it's because of it's uniqueness.

Anyway, I wouldn't just let the car go to the dealer in my opinion. I would put it on BAT. Look at auction data, it seems these cars (even C4) are worth upwards $50K, not in the 30s as some have posted. I guess the high miles might have an impact, but I wouldn't sweat over the HVAC switch and ABS module. If I was a potential buyer, that wouldn't stop me. What I'm seeing is a beautiful car that is cosmetically better inside and out than most I've seen for sale. I just recently read a thread were a guy spent over $8,000 in a window-out paint job for his old aircooled 911. And, there was no body work needed, just a re-paint. But I believe they sanded it down to the primer.

These cars are good investments at the moment based on sales numbers. I would imagine they'll be worth a whole lot more down the road. And so, if you don't want to fool with the dealer, I'm happy to trade you even for my 996. (You can stop laughing now!) Seriously, I'd be interested in trading for some difference. But I understand if you want to go a different path.

I'm not denying these are bringing a serious coin... here is one of many examples I found on BAT for a '89 964 C4.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-23/
The following users liked this post:
tbonelarry (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

beautiful 964. Even with the miles - you did so much great time consuming and costly work to the car. Its like new from the photos and will go another 200k miles. buyer could send the CCU to Tore and source a used/rebuilt ABS module. The motor needs to be dropped eventually but they all do even low mile cars. around 50k +/- all day.

Last edited by Brig993; 12-31-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I heard you were about to liquidate your aircooled Porsche collection. I saw a video on YouTube where some guy was interviewing you and taking a tour of your collection in a warehouse. Amazing! I would be a liar if I said I wasn't a little jealous. Interesting that you're keeping the 912E. I assume it's because of it's uniqueness.

Anyway, I wouldn't just let the car go to the dealer in my opinion. I would put it on BAT. Look at auction data, it seems these cars (even C4) are worth upwards $50K, not in the 30s as some have posted. I guess the high miles might have an impact, but I wouldn't sweat over the HVAC switch and ABS module. If I was a potential buyer, that wouldn't stop me. What I'm seeing is a beautiful car that is cosmetically better inside and out than most I've seen for sale. I just recently read a thread were a guy spent over $8,000 in a window-out paint job for his old aircooled 911. And, there was no body work needed, just a re-paint. But I believe they sanded it down to the primer.

These cars are good investments at the moment based on sales numbers. I would imagine they'll be worth a whole lot more down the road. And so, if you don't want to fool with the dealer, I'm happy to trade you even for my 996. (You can stop laughing now!) Seriously, I'd be interested in trading for some difference. But I understand if you want to go a different path.

I'm not denying these are bringing a serious coin... here is one of many examples I found on BAT for a '89 964 C4.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-23/
My issue with BaT is someone buying the car that can’t be pleased, then I have an issue to deal with that I must avoid. It’s hard to work for 30 years and risk everything on selling a single car to the wrong guy.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:55 PM
tbonelarry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car. BAT is the way to go. I would think that most reputation issues, and certainly all liability issues, are taken care of by the clearly stated (and contractual) 'buyer beware' nature of a BAT auction. Whereas selling the car outside of an auction would expose you to more liability? Of course, you always have the risk of someone not understanding the nature of an auction, but that's BAT's problem not yours. And your very honest way of addressing the car and it's known flaws would inspire confidence bidding. And since everyone is guessing, my two cents is low $50's on BAT with the quality paint, interior, and records. I haven't seen a 964 coupe with manual sell for less than $40k in years.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I understand your hesitation about not being able to pick your buyer on BaT. I think advertising it in a couple places with a reasonable but higher price would be the best way for you to choose your buyer and sale price. If you sold this car for $30 or $40k it would be relisted as a flip the next week. Which might be fine as thats what the dealer will do.

There is probably a good balance to be had between "premium" price and low friction sale. Get an independent PPI done and post the results. If it all checks out except the 2 items you list, ask $49k. If you have an interest, I'd post the car for sale at a premium price and offer to build the buyer an engine at a reasonable rate. If the car is a no problems, clean, well maintained car, the right buyer is out there that won't care about the miles.

People may complain this price is high. but find a documented, not crashed, cared for 964 hard top that isn't red or black for under $50k.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tbonelarry
Great looking car. BAT is the way to go. I would think that most reputation issues, and certainly all liability issues, are taken care of by the clearly stated (and contractual) 'buyer beware' nature of a BAT auction. Whereas selling the car outside of an auction would expose you to more liability? Of course, you always have the risk of someone not understanding the nature of an auction, but that's BAT's problem not yours. And your very honest way of addressing the car and it's known flaws would inspire confidence bidding. And since everyone is guessing, my two cents is low $50's on BAT with the quality paint, interior, and records. I haven't seen a 964 coupe with manual sell for less than $40k in years.
I have direct experience with BaT that proves otherwise. One of my engine customers sold a car there last year. The buyer paid a premium for it, and as soon as he got received the car he commended to be a whiner. He claimed the seat had a stain (which was in the BaT pics) and the guy was absolutely impossible to please. I was tied in on all the emails due to guilt by association, just because I had touched the car 2 years prior. The buyer was impossible to deal with; nothing would please him. I personally believe that he had buyer's remorse, or his wife was pissed off because of the purchase, or both. Typical story with modern humans.

BaT was absolutely worthless in regard to settling the issue. I was tied in on all those emails too, and they basically threw their hands up and had no resolution assistance of any value.

The seller had to refund the money in full, and the car was 2,000 miles away. He was facing the cost of shipping it back, so I connected him with my Certified Installer 400 miles away, and had the car shipped there. He then had to re- market the car, and sell it from the Certified Installer's shop. He lost 10K bucks all in all.

I have absolutely zero tolerance for complications with humans. Zero. I hate whiners, and I hate "disappointment". The only thing worse is someone who pays top dollar, and cannot be pleased that tops it all off by saying "I paid XXX for this, and.......". That's the icing on the cake for all problems.

Anyway, having seen this happen first hand with Bat, and a Porsche sale, I would avoid that like the plague, and leave good money on the table to do so. I can make more money, but I have only one reputation, and it only takes one whiner to kill it.

I do things so 20th Century that I'd want a buyer to see this car, drive it, and then take a day to sleep on it before taking their deposit. I am actually wondering what kind of marketing write off I could get for my Rennvision channel if I crushed the car with one or two of my tanks, and shared it. Imagine the people that would **** off! Seriously, I think my best bet is selling it to the dealer, and letting him make the money. My requirement to him is that it is never disclosed that I owned the vehicle, and he has yet to agree to that. That could blow the deal up.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 PM
tbonelarry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for sharing this story. What a joke. And I understand your concern much more clearly now.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tbonelarry
Thank you for sharing this story. What a joke. And I understand your concern much more clearly now.
Yeah, I’m probably unfairly creating a stereotype, too.. With the reputation its one of those “live by the sword, die by the sword” scenarios.

Quick Reply: What's my 964 worth? Trying to determine asking price.