Sponsored by:

OT - Minis?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT - Minis?

There is a current thread on Minis on the 993 board. Everybody (and I think everyone is from the US) raves about it. My opinion is somewhat more down to earth:

I drove a Mini Cooper S about 6 months ago for about 20 miles on a mixture of town and open roads. I was actually very underwhelmed. The steering feels wooden, there is some driveline shunt in going from 1st to 2nd gear. Also, I thought it would be more powerful. I do acknowledge though that with fat rubber on 17inch wheel like the one I drove, the grip levels are quite high. The sentiment on the 993 board is that it is almost the best fun you can have with your clothes still on. I wouldn't go that far by a looooong chalk.

Rather than start a war over there, what do you guys think? My summation would be that it is a pretty competent car with funky styling.

Anyone own one? Anyone interested in discussing?

(Disclaimer: in case Mr. Burrows or someone like him own a Mini and take this as a personal insult, I would like to assure that person that it is not intended as such. Maybe it is a car that grows on you with ownership? Maybe I am missing something?)
Old 02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, would love to talk Minis with ya', Christer.

My wife loves the car, and really wants to buy one. I think they're pretty cool, too. In particular, I think it's great how you can personalized the car straight from the factory--pick your color roof, put on stripes, classic Mini driving lights, etc.

Unfortunately, I spent too much time over at the Mini forum. The car has several common and persistent bugs--the stumble, the yo-yo, etc. You hear lots of the same stuff you hear at the Audi TT board, "Despite its warts, love my car, it's worth it," etc. Personally, I have one high-maintenance car in the family, don't want another.

The Mini is also doing (very) poorly with the major quality rating orgs (e.g., JD Power). I think it was Car & Driver that recently made light of how two of the hottest cars in the US--the Hummer H2 & the Mini--are also two of the lowest rated for quality (the Hummer is actually at the bottom). Some remark about dumb people and their money (though, I wouldn't go that far).

Yeah, you can say our own cars have lots of bugs. But, they're 10+ years old. And, you're talking a (semi) exotic sports car, not a zippy run-about.

We also tried sitting in the back seat. Good head-room, lousy leg room. I can't see anyone over 5'2" sitting back there for any extended period. We had considered making it our "practical" car, but it wouldn't work.

A 993 owning friend of mine owned a Mini. Spun a rod bearing at 8k miles. He said the dealer wasn't even surprised. Just checked the computer to make sure he hadn't over-revved the engine, then had a new engine put in the next day.

Anyway, all this said, I could see someone wanting to buy one. If they're willing to chance having to tolerate bothersome quality issues, straight out of the box.

Last edited by Randall G.; 02-17-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:26 PM
JoeW
Pro

I've driven two Minis, one in traffic and one in autoX. The venture into traffic took place during a test drive and was unremarkable. The car was comfortable but clearly not doing anything which would interest anyone (including the sound system, etc.) beyond what you would get in a Honda, for example. On the highway it was noisy and rough and a little underpowered once it got to highway speed, I thought.

A few weeks later, at autoX a guy offered to change cars with me so I took his Mini. What a blast! Like a skateboard, very light and responsive and tight in its handling.

So: I'd like to have a Mini for a friend, and might be able to put up with it as a daily driver (so long as it was reliable, which it doesn't seem to be), but for most people I think it's more of a hot fashion statement.

Now, Christer, if I say these things in public .... or even if I just feel things that are disagreeable .... does it wreck the chances for my eventual application to "Nice Guys Anonymous"? I don't feel that I'm worthy quite yet, but I place some hope in my observation that the present members sometimes say things that aren't agreeable but are still "nice guys." J
Old 02-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Is it safe to speak...?

Christer,

The Cooper S is one of the hardest cars to get in Germany. long waiting lists for new ones - second hand sell very fast -

However you could never say they rare.

All reports describe them as great fun to drive but I haven't tried one yet.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

This might get shifted OT..

IMO, the 'modtro' thing sucks. New songs, please, not karaoke.

Another motoring institution Germanised. Hasn't stopped lots and lots of 30 and 40 something females beating a path to it's door, round here, though. A BMW with a sense of humour- just what they always wanted. Pah.

New beetle drivers have been looking faintly self conscious for a while now. How long before its the same with the Mini? (sorry I mean MINI.)

Have I driven one? Err, no. (Ahem)

Don't even get me started on SUV's.

Last edited by Johnny G; 02-18-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:35 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now, please don't take this the wrong way and thank you in advance for your understanding, but I believe Randall said it all ...
Originally posted by Randall G.
My wife loves the car, and really wants to buy one.
Who's wife wouldn't want one? In fact, my 13 year old niece and grandmother want one. That's because it's a chick's car! It reminds me of the Mazda Miata (MX-5) which is a great-handling vehicle but is perhaps a more appropriate accessory for the fairer sex.

It also lacks punch, 0-60 in 7.7 seconds (ugh!). Nuff said!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:08 PM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

One of the nicest cars I have ever owned was a BMW 328 Convertible. Unfortunately, every other one that I saw was being driven by a woman. (Probably a realtor). All the "real men" here in Washington state drive trucks. So don't ever associate your identity too closely with the car you drive. ........If I owned a mini, I would call it "my wife's car"!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Now, please don't take this the wrong way and thank you in advance for your understanding, but I believe Randall said it all ...

Who's wife wouldn't want one? In fact, my 13 year old niece and grandmother want one. That's because it's a chick's car! It reminds me of the Mazda Miata (MX-5) which is a great-handling vehicle but is perhaps a more appropriate accessory for the fairer sex.

It also lacks punch, 0-60 in 7.7 seconds (ugh!). Nuff said!
LOL! My wife's current car is a MX-5 Miata. I enjoy driving it, but (as 4X4SCHE suggests), I always refer to it as "the wife's car."
Old 02-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly took a good look at a new 'base' Mini this past fall as a possible replacement to my stupid Chevy as a daily driver. I figured a BMW for about $17k would not be a bad thing. I know we're talking about the "S", but I like to type anyway...

The demo car that the dealership gave me to test drive had about 300 miles on it. 16" or 17" rims/tires and a few other minor options. Man, the thing was slower than my Chevy. Zero torque. Lots of rattles for a still very new car. Yeah, it would rev o.k., and handled well. But the shifter was nothing special as compared to how Honda has stuff put together. Cool big tach and retro toggle switches. I agree, the back seat would work for small children that are not in car seats for a few years. Overall, I was left with the impression that this was just a trendy economy car that had a few corners cut to meet the price point of under $20k.

I know some owner's around here love them to death and I think that's great. They are definitely the anti-SUV and I have no problem with them and do enjoy their goofy looks. BTW, my wife thinks they are hideous...

Not for me either...

Jay
Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Christer
Race Car

Joe W

It is a very hard but rewarding life in NGA. Please forward any application with examples of how nice you have been, when all around you have been decidedly not nice!

Any more comments on the MINI?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and another thing... The resale value on these things seems to be pretty high (at least in my area). I've gotten two prices on used Mini's back in fall when I was looking. A base coupe was priced close to a new one (I walked without negotiating-that's rediculous) and a used "S" had a no negotiating price that was about $1000 less than a new one ('02 with 19k on the clock). Not much incentive to buy the used car over the new car in my book since the dealer here can get whatever you want within a reasonable time frame.

I've read too that quality ratings are not very good on these things...

The 993 guys seem to like them though based on that thread that Christer references...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say I enjoyed the direct steering of the mini I drove. Very tossable..

HOWEVER... I was more impressed with the seating position of the Lotus Elise I sat in, but never drove. It felt like a mini McLaren.. Minus the center position.
That I'm sure will be a amazing to drive especially with the new US spec motor coming!!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:02 PM
robert getz
5th Gear

Bought a Mini (non "S") with the CVT trans. At 6'3" found it comfortable. Went with new Michelins and 17" wheels. Handled great, rode hard. Awful in snow. Lacked power, so I went with exhaust, cold air setup, Nology wires, Denso Iridium plugs. After six months gave it to my daughter, who talked me into buying it in the first place. Suits her better. I'll drive the 911. Or the Sierra. Or the Jeep. Or the Harley. Or the old VW bus. Or the John Deere. Anything, as long as its fun.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
David K.
Pro

My Mini Cooper S is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I slapped on a supercharge reduction pulley ($400 installed) and $400 worth of software. Also I made an air box with a $50 K&N filter and got 20-25 whp. Try getting 20-25 whp for $850 in an 911. For handling I junked the run flats and put on a set of forged BBSs with Michelin sports and a larger rear sway bar.

This is one fun daily driver. My old daily drives were a M-B C43 AMG and a BMW E36 M3. I enjoy the Mini more.

Quick Reply: OT - Minis?