Sponsored by:

Pulled the Seats Out..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Pulled the Seats Out..........

Finally got the call from the upholstery shop that my slot was open and to drop the seats off. I've never removed the seats before, but it was straightforward and easy. Man those seats, including their bases, are really heavy! I didn't weigh them but I'd guess 35 pounds or so?

Anyhoo....... question. Both seats have the exact same electronic adjustment functions, 8 way. However, I had two items to unplug on the drivers seat, one on the passenger. Why would that be?

I didn't realize the seats were made for Porsche by Recaro either. I'm probably the only person here who didn't know this.

Here are the two wires underneath the drivers seat:

Both seats had this one.

Only the drivers seat had this one.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM
xdecock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brown and brown/red cable? It's the safety belt check
safety belt light in clock?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

small one is seatbelt light/warning.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Ah. That makes sense.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:06 PM
galanevans
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How long for the shop to refinish the seats, and what's the work you're having done? Considering this for myself, as the driver's side upholstery is in good condition, but the seat padding isn't giving much support anymore.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

I got on his schedule last November with an expectation of the seats being done sometime in March*. We have touched base about every 1.5 weeks since mid March. Here is it the end of April and he's ready. He said I'll have the seats back by the middle of next week. So, 1.5 week turn around.

He's good, that's why he's always busy. Fella doesn't advertise. His shop is in the middle of nowhere. Been around a long time, I though he'd retired.

I'm having the inserts redone with cloth and all of the leather/vinyl recovered in leather.

*I'd though my car was going to be at a shop being painted last March but decided I like all of the rock chips for the time being. So I cancelled.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Timely thread; I'm pulling my seats soon to swap out for some sport seats and I've read of many others who have had difficulty with removing stripped bolts. Did you have any trouble with your seat bolts and do you think it is wise to replace them?

Can someone confirm how many and what kind of bolts are needed for the front pair of seats? I want to be prepared before I start on mine.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 PM
galanevans
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled the drivers side over the winter to fix a failing power seat adjustment switch. I made the mistake of using an allen wrench instead of the T40 Torx bit. After it got rounded out I had to use an extractor bit and a ton of elbow grease. It's a crazy idea, but the right tool really does make the job go easier!

The seats take 2 torx bolts on the front of the rail and 1 in back, so a total of 6 per seat.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

This is what i use. This thread just reminded me that i have e run out and need to restock.

Name:  photo246.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  1.03 MB

You can buy at McMaster- or local hardware store. I replace them with harder bolts that the factory used- cuz the oem bolts are way too soft.

Fwiw- if you are tall, you can mount the seat on the farther back holes and gain a little room.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

According to the seat article in 000 Magazine the stock 964 seats weigh about 50 pounds each.

Originally Posted by dukmon
Finally got the call from the upholstery shop that my slot was open and to drop the seats off. I've never removed the seats before, but it was straightforward and easy. Man those seats, including their bases, are really heavy! I didn't weigh them but I'd guess 35 pounds or so?

Anyhoo....... question. Both seats have the exact same electronic adjustment functions, 8 way. However, I had two items to unplug on the drivers seat, one on the passenger. Why would that be?

I didn't realize the seats were made for Porsche by Recaro either. I'm probably the only person here who didn't know this.

Here are the two wires underneath the drivers seat:

Both seats had this one.

Only the drivers seat had this one.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have the same box of bolts. A few of them

use a quality hex socket on these. Hold the wrench steady and untorque it.

Ive yet to strip one.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 AM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Timely thread; I'm pulling my seats soon to swap out for some sport seats and I've read of many others who have had difficulty with removing stripped bolts. Did you have any trouble with your seat bolts and do you think it is wise to replace them?

Can someone confirm how many and what kind of bolts are needed for the front pair of seats? I want to be prepared before I start on mine.
Originally Posted by galanevans
I pulled the drivers side over the winter to fix a failing power seat adjustment switch. I made the mistake of using an allen wrench instead of the T40 Torx bit. After it got rounded out I had to use an extractor bit and a ton of elbow grease. It's a crazy idea, but the right tool really does make the job go easier!

The seats take 2 torx bolts on the front of the rail and 1 in back, so a total of 6 per seat.
Originally Posted by Goughary
This is what i use. This thread just reminded me that i have e run out and need to restock.

Attachment 1303153

You can buy at McMaster- or local hardware store. I replace them with harder bolts that the factory used- cuz the oem bolts are way too soft.

Fwiw- if you are tall, you can mount the seat on the farther back holes and gain a little room.
Thanks, gentlemen. I will shop for a dozen of the suggested items.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I use torx bolts for the seats fwiw. Low head with lock washer.

pete
Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

I have the allen head bolts like those shown above.

I'm all about torx bolts but chances are you'll need to approach the bolts at an angle (why soft bolts strip) unless you have a socket set with torx bits. Be sure to use an allen wrench with a ball end tip like this one. You can't get a tork bit that works at an angle, that I'm aware of.

​​​​​​​

Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Swapped mine out last night and put in the sports seats. What a difference they make! Can't believe I waited so long... no issues with the bolts either. Just used a 6mm

Quick Reply: Pulled the Seats Out..........