Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
LOL. It looks a bit like a pair of foil swans trying to fly out of the back seat. I only hope I can wire it all back together again.
I was thinking more along the lines of... you don't want your 964 to be abducted by aliens
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Harnesses arrived in new condition, still in the box. LED lights from BergvillFX also arrived. I want to get rolling on the paint, but work and track season are getting in the way. There is a PCA NCR Autocross tomorrow at Fort Devens, but hopefully Sunday I can find some time. Rolling the car in and out to get the 993 off the lift is getting old.

New Schroth Harnesses and Bergvill FX LED Lights arrived
Old 05-01-2018, 03:44 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey jim, did you find some time on Sunday?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
Hey jim, did you find some time on Sunday?
Sadly, no. Wifey's car finally quit after 165,000 miles, and I spent the day buying a new car. I'm beginning to wish that I had outsourced the paint. I need to get some paint on the car before the rust returns!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:52 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Sadly, no. Wifey's car finally quit after 165,000 miles, and I spent the day buying a new car. I'm beginning to wish that I had outsourced the paint. I need to get some paint on the car before the rust returns!
Man that sucks, what did you get her? Wait until you finish the paint and are looking at the great job you have done. Then you will be glad you handled it yourself! I can't wait to see it done
Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Man that sucks, what did you get her? Wait until you finish the paint and are looking at the great job you have done. Then you will be glad you handled it yourself! I can't wait to see it done
We picked up a new 2018 VW Tiguan. Wifey is very happy. Happy wife, happy life.

Keep the faith, the paintwork will be moving forward soon.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Well this is a chronicle, so here's an update on the 964's interior. Progress has been slow, but steady. I strongly advise not to attempt a project like this if you have a job, a wife or kids. I have all three, at least thus far...

The goal was to set up the paint booth and paint the car last weekend. Unfortunately I came to the harsh realization that the rust was far more pervasive than my initial utopian assessment. I had already completed my "final" sanding, but rust was reappearing in spots, weeping out from under the surface. The metal was pitted in several areas, and the rust had penetrated into small cavities. So I attached a grinding stone on the Dremel and began shaving down the metal a few millimeters at a time. I spent a day and a half grinding to rout out the rust below the surface of the metal. I felt like a dentist. It was slow, methodical work. The metal is now shiny again, and the rust hasn't reappeared.

This weekend was also very productive. After five rolls of painters tape, the car is now is fully masked off inside and out, and ready for paint. Masking off the interior took a day, and some acrobatics while upside down on the floor of the car. Masking off the outside of the car took all Friday night. It rained on Saturday, but I spent most of the day laying down paper and a erecting a paint booth. Today was PCAS NER's first Vintage Track Day at Thompson Speedway, so still no paint on the car as yet. Wifey's new Tiguan has been booted to the curb so my 993 can still park in the garage, so I'm on borrowed time. Here are a few photos.

pitted metal = dremel

Carefully grinded below surface (weight savings saving off metal was an added bonus)

Just about ready to paint

Paint booth and car ready - just need a free day with no rain...
Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Oh man I'm so keen to see the end result, I can see why it's taking so long you are very thorough! You can work on my car any day.
Thanks for the update.
The blue stripes on the car look great
Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Holy crap! You sir get standing ovation and a huge round of applause. I was searching the forum on how to fix the oil cooler leak and stumbled onto your thread. I’m so happy I did! This is definitely an inspiration for me to chronicle my own resto/rebuild. I just wish I was half as brave to tackle an interior job like that.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Holy crap! You sir get standing ovation and a huge round of applause. I was searching the forum on how to fix the oil cooler leak and stumbled onto your thread. I’m so happy I did! This is definitely an inspiration for me to chronicle my own resto/rebuild. I just wish I was half as brave to tackle an interior job like that.
Thanks for the nod Infinite1, greatly appreciated. Bravery or sheer madness, I’m finally making some real progress. I gave the car a final wipe down with SEM solve prep, and laid down the first few coats of etching primer tonight.

The job job went pretty smoothly. A few bits of dust blew out the crevices, so I need to lightly sand the rear floor boards before applying the next few coats of high build primer. Also a few minor drips from the five cans of paint that I went through, but all in all the paint looks great and the rust is gone! It’s all down hill from here. I just hope I can get everything wired correctly again when the job is done.

SEM solve for final clean

Etching primer, to be followed by high build primer

Two light coats, and one wet coat of Etching primer

Do use a proper respirator when tackling this job

No more rust!

Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Old 05-31-2018, 10:34 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

This is some phenomenal work- can’t wait to see it back in action! Let me know if need an extra hand with anything.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

You are amazing! I could stare a naked shell pics all day. Love thinking about the engineering behind every piece and weld point.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -nick
This is some phenomenal work- can’t wait to see it back in action! Let me know if need an extra hand with anything.
Thanks Nick! I know you’re very handy, so I may take you up on that offer if I hit a wall re-wiring the car. I never expected the project to last this long, and I’m hoping I can remember what goes where.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
You are amazing! I could stare a naked shell pics all day. Love thinking about the engineering behind every piece and weld point.
Thanks 911Jetta. I hated the look of the rubber that they slathered all over the interior seams. Glad to know I’m not the only one that appreciates the German engineering in the body work. It’s truly a piece of art.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Oh man I'm so keen to see the end result, I can see why it's taking so long you are very thorough! You can work on my car any day.
Thanks for the update.
The blue stripes on the car look great
And Dean, that’s high praise Sir as I know how well you take of your car. Your engine bay has had more attention than my interior, and glad to see you taking care of the fan properly. You’re a good steward. We’re both due for a nice long drive when these cars are back on the road.

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig