Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by CBA
Wow... keep it up, be interested in the end product, that is if it ever ends..
Thanks, just taking at all one step at a time. It might go more quickly if I wasn’t so OCD. And the rabbit hole gets a bit deeper.

Leaving the car parked outside for a week was fortuitous. A week of periodic rain and snow revealed about 8 oz. of water on the floor of the car. I traced the water back to the right side rear quarter window. Looking under the window seal, I also detected some rust on the outside of the window frame. Glad I caught this leak, and the rust on the exterior window trim.

So off come the two rear side windows. I was expecting a project with plastic removal tools and such, but the windows popped right out with my bare hands. I hope they go back in as easily. I broke out the Dermel and carefully grinded the rust off the window frame. Thankfully it was just surface rust, no real damage.

I’m wondering if some dum dum will stop the leak, or if a new window seal is needed? I will give the dum dum a try, but any advise here is welcome.

The interior has been stripped to bare metal. The goal is to remove any remaining paInt and rubber this weekend, and begin prepping the car for paint. I was quoted $4.000 to have the interior painted. I’m planning on just using a rattle can, and will save that money for the new suspension.

Maybe it was the beer, but I was iinspired by the Rennline airbag delete cover to drill a few holes in the door trim. The weight savings was negligible, but the car looks faster. Purists look away.

Discovered water leaking through side rear window

Pushed the window out easily

Windows out

Knocked down rust on window trim

Inspired by Rennline airbag delete panel

To match the look here

Purists, look away.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm starting to get impatient haha so keen to see it painted! You could probably pick up a cheap compressor, spray gun etc for a few hundred dollars.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
I'm starting to get impatient haha so keen to see it painted! You could probably pick up a cheap compressor, spray gun etc for a few hundred dollars.
I’m with you on the impatience, Dingo. Thanks for the good advice on a spray gun. This is a big project. But my mechanic highly recommended a catalytic paint that comes in a spray can. We color matched the paint. I even bought a few extra cans for the roll bar we will be fabricating.

Paint booth will be the next project.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman

I’m with you on the impatience, Dingo. Thanks for the good advice on a spray gun. This is a big project. But my mechanic highly recommended a catalytic paint that comes in a spray can. We color matched the paint. I even bought a few extra cans for the roll bar we will be fabricating.

Paint booth will be the next project.
Haha! No worries mate I thought it sounded weird that you were using a rattle Can! Interested to hear about this catalytic paint. Oh man I can't wait to see the roll bar too! What are you doing for seats in this One? Tillett?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Haha! No worries mate I thought it sounded weird that you were using a rattle Can! Interested to hear about this catalytic paint. Oh man I can't wait to see the roll bar too! What are you doing for seats in this One? Tillett?
Still sorting out the seats. The Tillets are perfect if you need additional headroom. I purchased a Fenn Lane sunroof delete panel, however, so headroom won’t be an issue. The Recaro Profi XL’s maybe, but they’re a bigger than I’d like. I’d like to try Sparco. Hoping I can try a few seats at the track and get that sorted out.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

So I haven’t been flamed by anyone for the holes in the door as yet. This Forum seems a bit more laid back than the 993 Forum where I’m sure someone would have torched me.

Final push is on to finish the sanding and preparatory work. I’ve taken all the lines apart so I can access all the recesses. I honestly hope I can remember how to put it all back together. I tucked the harness that leads into the roof inside the recess by the rear side window. I’m planning on deleting the sunroof and the lights, so I’m guessing it’s just a vestigial appendage to be tucked away.

I had a racer back in high school that I decided to “add lightness” to. I took that whole bike part into pieces, and could never quite figure out how to put it all back together. I’m hoping I have better luck with Wilbur.

Almost ready, but still some nits

Getting into the recesses

Last time this harness will be seen
Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Getting into the recesses behind the wires is a chore

Not sure anyone will ever see the paint job back here, but it’s betting done properly
Old 04-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Old 04-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Uploading photos is not going smoothly, sorry. Still not quite ready for painting the interior, but I did paint the former rusty side rear window where the rust had invaded. Nice to finally smell some fresh paint in the garage.

Before

After
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Seems to be easier working on the car then uploading photos. One more try on the before photo

Before
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

After

Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

One last try, Rennlist hell....

After
Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to this weekends updates jim
Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Painting the girls’ bathroom, not the 964
Looking forward to this weekends updates jim
Thanks for the interest Dingo!

Sadly little progress this week as Mrs. Foxman decided that the house needed a spring refresh. Instead of painting the 964, I painted the girl’s bathroom.

Track season starts this weekend with a PCA event at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. So the 964 won’t be getting much attention this weekend.

Hopefully next week I can begin paintkmg in earnest.

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig