Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:03 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

I regret that I have been working so late at night that I haven't been keeping up with the posts. I'm sorry for that. The progress continues on Wilbur, and despite the continued delay on the Cobra seats the car is now officially back on the road!

I was anxious to get rolling again, so I reached out to HMS Motorsports to inquire about the Cobra Nogaros. HMS advised that the seats aren't going to arrive until mid-October. HMS did agree to direct ship the seats to me to save a few weeks, and they gave me an extra 5% discount on a new set of Schroth GT3 harnesses. FYI HMS always offers a 5% discount to all PCA members. But sometimes things happen for a reason.

Waiting another month to drive the 964 was not an option. So I yanked the Tillet racing seat out of the passenger side of my 993 for a temporary seat. I wanted to adjust that seat down one notch, so it was a good excuse to pull it out and use it for a bit. The Tillet seat was plug and play with the Recarro universal sliders, but not so the BK-9035 sub strap bar. The BK sub strap bar smacks right into the Motronic on the 964. So much for that plan. So I pulled out the Motronic and all the carefully laid wires, and made a new plan. I'm going to mount the Motronic against the rear seat like the RS. And instead of of the weighty BK sub-bar (which also lies a bit too far forward for this long-legged driver), I saved 4 lbs. by drilling a few holes and using Schroth reinforcement plates. A quick and easy solution, and the substraps are in a much better location about 20 degrees behind center.

The spartan Tillet seat seems to suit the bare bones 964. And the Tillets weigh about 20 lbs. less than the Cobras. So current thinking is to run with Tillets in the 964, and the Cobra Nogaros will go in the carpeted and insulated 993. That seems to be a better match. In the meantime, I will be running solo in both the 993 and the 964 as each has only one seat. I'm a loner, a rebel...

Repairing some rust before reinstalling the brake pedal brace

Before

After

Door seals treated

Like new

Rear window seals got the same treatment

Reinstalling the windows was easier than expected

Bare hands worked best for me

Work the forward edge in first, and then work your way back

To the rear corner which takes a little finesse

Revelation that BK sub strap bar fouls the Motronic

Need a new plan
Old 09-20-2018, 02:10 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Disconnected battery

Yanked out the Motronic

And the base plate

Abandoning the BK sub bar

Schroth reinforcement plates saves 4 lbs.

Drilling two small holes for eye screws

Silicon adhesive

View of reinforcement plates from underneath
Old 09-20-2018, 02:18 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

4" gap is ideal - close enough

Almost ready to install the seat

But still need to install the pedal board

Marine grease for the pedal ball

Hold tight with a wrench and pedal snaps right on with a good push
Old 09-20-2018, 02:27 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

View of the ball in the socket

Getting the Tillet seat ready

Planted offset brackets are light, and whedn reverse mounted they provide the requisite 16" gap for the Recarro sliders

Recarro sliders

Confirm 16" width between sliders

The Brey Krause 9005 provides a nice solution for the tunnel belt, and the GT3 lap belts bolt right onto the BK mount and a bolt in the door sill bung
Old 09-20-2018, 02:35 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Tillet seat in the 964. Th Recarro sliders are solid, and function smoothly and effortlessly (sliders are not for racing)

View of the tunnel and BK 9005 tunnel anchor mount

Ample head room, and the seat can easily drop another few inches.

I topped off the oil and went for a ride. The first half was a bit smokey

I guess I topped off too much - had to drain the quart out again

Driving around in stripped car provides an interesting view. It's a bit loud inside, like the windows are always open
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Drove a few country roads home. Farm Road in Dover is always a pleasure

Oh oh, time for a new sticker

Farm Road, Dover

Driving reminded me i need floor boards. So I made a quick template

Cut with as jig

Pretty good fit. Now for some hardware and paint this weekend.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:41 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Great work as always Jim, I totally agree on the seats. Wonder what the doors look like without the panels? Painted up all nice like the rest of the car?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking good.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
..The spartan Tillet seat seems to suit the bare bones 964. And the Tillets weigh about 20 lbs. less than the Cobras. So current thinking is to run with Tillets in the 964, and the Cobra Nogaros will go in the carpeted and insulated 993. That seems to be a better match. In the meantime, I will be running solo in both the 993 and the 964 as each has only one seat. I'm a loner, a rebel...
Solo-seater in two cars! Love it. Yes, you are a rebel.
As a cyclist, I'm attracted to the functional minimalism of the interior and those Tillet seats.
What more do you really need?

Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Solo-seater in two cars! Love it. Yes, you are a rebel.
As a cyclist, I'm attracted to the functional minimalism of the interior and those Tillet seats.
What more do you really need?
Thanks 911Jetta. The more I look at the Tillet seat in the 965, the more convinced I am that it’s the right seat for this spartan car. I drove the car to work today. The seats are surprisingly comfortable even in a daily commute. And they weigh only 15 lbs! That’s about a 100 lb. reduction in weight with both seats. Hoping to remove the A/C tomorrow and lose another 50 lbs. It’s beginning to all add up.

Originally Posted by Dingo
Great work as always Jim, I totally agree on the seats. Wonder what the doors look like without the panels? Painted up all nice like the rest of the car?
You had me thinking about the doors, Dean. But looking back at the photos I took of a cup car at the shop, it has the same look. The cup car actually has the center console as well. I’m going to stay true to the cup car look for now, and leave the black RS door panels. All that white inside the car can be distracting.

The cup car has black RS door cards

Going for this look, but just a half cage to keep the car street legal
​​​​​​​
Old 09-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I’ve been consider the B6 since you first started the tillet install thread- but have held off due tor fact that my964 is dual purpose- but looking over the offerings I think I may try the B5 instead just to see if it’s a good compromise in terms of getting in and out of the car easily. I figure if I want the B6 after all I’ll just move the B5 over the the passenger seat.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Tillet seats in my lotus. Can't say enough good things about them. Super comfortable even on a 3k mile trip. Sort of wish I bought them again for my 964
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp

I’ve been consider the B6 since you first started the tillet install thread- but have held off due tor fact that my964 is dual purpose- but looking over the offerings I think I may try the B5 instead just to see if it’s a good compromise in terms of getting in and out of the car easily. I figure if I want the B6 after all I’ll just move the B5 over the the passenger seat.
Great call, Pete. I also considered the B5 when I was searching for new seats. My 993 is also dual purpose, but it’s principally a track car and I wanted true racing seats. It definitely takes a little extra work getting in and out of the car with the B6 seats. Daily driving the 964 with these seats will be a bit of work, but the seats are very comfortable once you’re in the car. The B5 is probably a better call, however, offering a light sturdy seat that you can also get in and out of easily. I’ve seen a few cars at the track equipped with B5’s, and the drivers are all very pleased with the seat.

There’s a recent thread in the 993 Forum where a B5 was installed for the passenger seat. This is a smart solution (but the Planted base brackets are unnecessary IMHO, and shouldn’t be mounted on top of the sliders). https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nger-seat.html
Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I had Tillet seats in my lotus. Can't say enough good things about them. Super comfortable even on a 3k mile trip. Sort of wish I bought them again for my 964
Totally agree. Despite the minimalist shell, these seats are incredibly comfortable. The Tillets are well known in Lotus and Kartng circles, but not so much with the Porsche crowd. When I purchased the Tillet seats 18 months ago, i could only find one example in a 996. Now that I’ve got the mounting figures out, installation is quick and easy with the Recarro universal sliders. I think we’ll see more of these Tillets in our air cooled cars.

But wait until you see the Cobra Nogaros in the 993! Still a few weeks out, but this thread in the BMW M3 forum is a great teaser. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600516 I think the Cobras may perhaps prove the best application for a dual purpose car. Time will tell.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

LimmetED also has Tilletts in his car, now covered in tartan! Checkout his thread: into to me and my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post14977181

On phone, so can’t get images to post correctly...
(Search thread for tons of seat pics, will update this post when I get to a laptop)

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig