Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next project..... rust under window seal... :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a apointment for January the 5th. Ordered a new seal for the wind shield and 2 seals for the fenders.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep, I hate to say the words 'design fault', but there you are. This is probably a piece of design that has its origins in the 901.

Arjan, I have a bad section under my rear 'screen seal.
BUT -I also found rust eating into the vulnerable junction between paint and bodywork that exists in the wheel arch lip (underneath the textured paint) and also behind the side repeater - this was quite bad, but completely un-noticed unless the repeater was removed. Didn't help that the PO used the car like a Toyota for 4 years, all year round in Scotland.

I am trying to find someone I can trust to remove/replace the rear screen responsibly so I can get the body work done. I am just a little cagey about using the mainstream autoglass people.. - but the longer I wait, the worse it gets!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

The thing I will do is cut the seal in two half pieces 360 Degr round with a box cutter/nife. Then you can remove the window easely with two people.
lacing the window you can do with a lot of dishes washing soap or tyre fat and pulling it in with a cord. Don't wait, do it now!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Just had a repaint, and to be honest the rear seal was involving......Porsche have run wires in the seal itself and from memory, there are atleast 6 wires that run in a channel on the seal. It definately pissed the guys at RAC windscreens off!!! They did not bond the rear screen in, just used a new rubber.

Taj.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

O.k. Guys,

I looked a little further under the seal from the rear window............... far away from the real world, there was .......RUST too!

So, I have to order a rear window seal too I think......... and what is the big problem with the rear window I read sometimes?? Is this a special install procedure??

That will be paining the front and rear window pillars, including the roof I think......
Old 12-22-2003, 04:53 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by Johnny G
... behind the side repeater - this was quite bad, but completely un-noticed unless the repeater was removed.
Repeater? (Another translation issue, I'm guessing.)

Thankx, J
Old 12-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Ian964
Pro

My car is right across the street from the ocean, i'm talking like 50 feet. Think that could make it rust?
Old 12-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I think the rust is caused by the movement of the windows in the body. The seals have a kind of sand paper workout on the paint. If you wait long enough, it goes thru the paint, and there the rust comes up.

I personal believe that window replacement is not the cause. It could be off course, but a car which had never a window replacement does also have the rust damage.................
Old 12-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Just came from the body repair shop. The advise was to remove the rear window also..... So that will be a front en rear window pillar paint including the wiper arms area, and also I will repaint the roof then.

I think it's better do do it the right way, even it is more expensive. The bad feeling looking all the time to rusty area scares me.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Arjan B.
Just came from the body repair shop. The advise was to remove the rear window also..... So that will be a front en rear window pillar paint including the wiper arms area, and also I will repaint the roof then.

I think it's better do do it the right way, even it is more expensive. The bad feeling looking all the time to rusty area scares me.
Hi Arjan

I literally have just in the lastfew weeks done exactly the same thing. I had alittle rust on both front and rear screens. They both came out, and they resprayed the whole roof and replaced the seals. Car looks like new. Except where it isn't repsrayed. But on the whole it was well worth it, if not a little expensive.

p.s. I got the engine lid resprayed as well for the hell of it.

p.p.s. You should probably use a workshop that has the use of a spectrometer so that you can get pretty much an exact match to your existing paintwork.

Good luck, and you will feel great when it is done.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

The paint work will be done by my colleage inside the dealership. They are in the next town 8 miles from here. They repainted the hood already for me and the 17 Inch Cup wheels. Nice work so far, and.... They love Porsche, that is a great positive thing to get work well done.

Christer, may I ask what your whole repair costs you.....?? [and do I get a answer aswell ]
Old 12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Christer,

That's the way I felt about mine, news bits fab, old paintwork shabby.
I've just had the front end done and it looks smashing, all shiney new paintwork....

Arjan, mine was in the region of £400 for the basic rear screen rust, add vat and another few hundred for the engine lid and door work I had done......

Kevin
Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a 92 turbo and it also had some rust bubbles on the front cowl. Looks like this is a pretty common problem. Are your cars garage kept or do they see a lot of rain? Hopefully my 91 C2 964 has always lived in Sunny Ca. and wont be rusting any time soon. Good Luck.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Pete...my car has always lived in Sunny Ca., still got the rust bubble at base of windshield. Always garage kept, as well (other than when parked at work).

This isn't just a 964 (or 993) thing. 911s of all vintages struggle with this problem. For example, my '66 had rust bubbles at the rear windshield.

Like Arjan, and even though I've had my front windshield replaced, I'm not 100% convinced the base-of-windshield rust is due to a poor glass replacement.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:24 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Window replacement "could" cause such damage very well, yes, but is'nt is strange that at all cars the same spots rust....... It's not the same slampy Mechanic who did this.

By a fresh painted car, you never damage those area's by installing the windshield with a new seal. The damage would be caused by usung a saw for the adhesive sealant.

My opionion and so is the body repair shop, is this type of rust damage caused by the moving of the window and seal in the body. Driving over bumps will move the window very little up and dwn in the bodywork, but just as much that it will damage the paint after a while. So, if the paint is gone, plain steel comes free in the air and water/salt a=will have free acces to the rust process.

I think waxing the area under the seal now and then will prevent damage for long time.

I even think about putting some "Helicopter blade" transparant tape under the seal, on the "hot spots"

Nice Christmas to all of you!

Quick Reply: Next project..... rust under window seal... :(