964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUYER BEWARE- BLACK 1990 C2 COUPE

Old 06-14-2019, 05:16 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

A common ground will bring ppl together. I am just glad to see Lorenzoh and Tarek307 put away the differences and having a healthy discussion on the matter. Cheers
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

My flipper never offered to pay for my flight, rental car, hotel or PPI after he grossly misrepresented the car. Including having a buddy sign off on a fraudulently prepared PPI at the Porsche Dealership he worked for.

I too asked all the right questions before flying out.

Some people are just criminals by nature.

It's in their DNA.

I do believe sooner or later they get what is coming to them.

Now, on this particular car, if its been fixed, and he is now correctly offering the good and bad known issues on the car good on him.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Sadly I would venture to guess that nearly all of us have had this experience at one time or another. For me it’s happened multiple times when looking for my first fun car (500E Mercedes), the amount of dishonesty was beyond belief. Everything from a car that was labeled accident free with bondo marks in the rear door sills on both sides from a really bad rear ender. More recently before buying my Targa I looked at an 88 Coupe that was labeled as near concours condition and rust free, that had multiple panels resprayed and SEVERAL rust spots. The guy was pissed because I spent 30 minutes of his time and basically told him I wasn’t even going to test drive it because it needed too much cosmetic work. He could care less that I drove from SoCal into San Francisco during rush hour to see this car.

I think the real take away is that there’s really no such thing as a good deal. Best to bump up your budget and buy a well known car that has had the typical problem areas taken care of and cosmetically shows extremely well. If you buy below average expect to spend at least $10K to get the car running well. Add more if you want it looking good
Old 06-14-2019, 05:34 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ren20
A common ground will bring ppl together. I am just glad to see Lorenzoh and Tarek307 put away the differences and having a healthy discussion on the matter. Cheers
Agreed!! 👍
Old 06-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

On black paint it is very easy to confirm respray, the original paint was a single stage black so if you simply use hand polish and a cloth on the paint you’ll know if it’s original or not. In addition I’ll note that single stage black can be brought back much easier than clear coat as long as the paint is thick enough to handle a coarse polish procedure. I’ve brought back heavily oxidized single stage red and it looked stunning when done, the difference was shocking.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow. Just finished reading this thread. Interesting reading and the very reason when i was finally ready to get my first P car, went to my local dealer looked and waited till “my “ perfect car was there, then purchased for a fair price. 3 years in with CPO and nary a problem. Just reading all the above gives me indigestion.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Wow that sucks man. But you are right, it's the principal of it. If this guy had said he was really sorry and apologetic for an honest mistake on his part, offered to buy me a beer, stay another night and take me out to dinner....whatever....I probably wouldn't have posted any of this. But he didn't, he acted the same way you describe above...totally nonchalant. That's what really irritated me. And if you look at his comments on BAT, it's the same vague nonchalant attitude. When asked about the paint on the roof, he says it "looks great (to me)". Nice qualifier....The entire roof was badly oxidized.
Well I always believe in admitting when you are wrong , and i apologize for giving you grief a year ago when you made this thread, because a year later here we are and it proved to be a very useful thread.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
On black paint it is very easy to confirm respray, the original paint was a single stage black so if you simply use hand polish and a cloth on the paint you’ll know if it’s original or not. In addition I’ll note that single stage black can be brought back much easier than clear coat as long as the paint is thick enough to handle a coarse polish procedure. I’ve brought back heavily oxidized single stage red and it looked stunning when done, the difference was shocking.
This is correct and I did the same to my guards red when I got it. There were a couple areas of oxidation and it came back right away after a quick polish...looked brand new. Had to be very careful though because as you said, your pulling the original paint off. After lightly polishing the entire car I was amazed how good it looked.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Well I always believe in admitting when you are wrong, and i apologize for giving you grief a year ago when you made this thread, because a year later here we are and it proved to be a very useful thread.
Right on dude. Consider the hatchet buried 👍 have a great weekend!!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:24 PM
944pilot86
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just googled the VIN and the car is currently listed on BAT with five days left. Looks clean and not worthy of a "BUYER BEWARE!!!!!" type thread, but I'm also not unrealistically picky like some buyers.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-23/
Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by 944pilot86
Just googled the VIN and the car is currently listed on BAT with five days left. Looks clean and not worthy of a "BUYER BEWARE!!!!!" type thread, but I'm also not unrealistically picky like some buyers.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-23/
Perhaps not but you’re also late to the party and clueless. Read back about 2 days and you’ll see I posted the BAT link which was the reason for resurrecting this thread.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:31 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts

This forum is great! yeah there might be disagreements among each other but at the end of the day it serves its purpose of protecting the unsuspecting honest members from being raped by unscrupulous con men.
They're the Guardian of the Galaxies!, lol They can also extend their arms to other Forums, BAT, PCARMARKET, and EBAY!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Right on dude. Consider the hatchet buried 👍 have a great weekend!!
I didn’t think we’d see this day... haha! ✌️

Good for you guys (and good for the rest of us too)!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Dtronics
I didn’t think we’d see this day... haha! ✌️

Good for you guys (and good for the rest of us too)!
Miracles do happen 😬
Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Miracles do happen 😬
Shocking turn of events!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE- BLACK 1990 C2 COUPE