Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   BUYER BEWARE- BLACK 1990 C2 COUPE (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1044407-buyer-beware-black-1990-c2-coupe.html)

Lorenzoh 01-22-2018 07:06 PM

BUYER BEWARE- BLACK 1990 C2 COUPE

Car is located in Charleston, SC. Black with cashmere interior. Car runs great, but needs lots of paint work and/or full respray- clear coat issues on drivers front fender, lots of paint imperfections, severely oxidized roof, paint corrosion/rust bubbles at lower windshield seal. None of which were disclosed by seller even after asking him point blank if any of the above existed. Interior has also been redone and the fit and finish is terrible. Fabspeed headers, 993SS cams, LW flywheel, Wong chip. Car pulls like a freight train above 5k but other than that, it was in bad shape.
VIN- WP0AB2961LS450251
PM me if you want further details.

Marine Blue 01-22-2018 07:37 PM

I never understand why a seller wouldn’t disclose these details up front if asked. It’s not like the person who’s asking isn’t going to notice when they see the car in person!!!

When I’m shopping for a used car my first set of questions include the following:
- VIN to run a carfax
- any records of previous work done
- High resolution pictures of each corner of the exterior
- High resolution pictures of the drivers/passenger seats and dash
- High resolution picture of the engine bay and trunk

The pictures are usually enough for me to determine if the car has had paint/bodywork. If the paintwork was done by a perfectionist I won’t be able to detect it in pictures but honestly if its that good the cars worth seeing in person anyways. The engine pics tell me if the car has been Driven on salty roads and the interior tells me if the mileage is accurate based upon its condition. When you see enough of these cars you get an idea of what amount of wear the seats/carpet should have.

If all of the above checks out I will get a PPI done and then decide if it’s a sight unseen purchase or if I need to see the car in person. Much of that comes down to the seller and how forthcoming they are.

Good luck with your search and thanks for saving someone else from the headache and time loss.

18T_BT 01-22-2018 10:13 PM

What was the price, mileage C2 or C4?

Lorenzoh 01-22-2018 10:29 PM

C2 as previously mentioned, 95k miles, $55k.

LM964 01-23-2018 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh (Post 14748551)
C2 as previously mentioned, 95k miles, $55k.

Gulp, is that how much rough looking 964's are going for now? Realistic these days?

cobalt 01-23-2018 08:35 AM

Sorry to hear. Sounds like the car was more of a track rat than they cared to admit. Keep the faith they pop up when you least expect.

afshinbahrami 01-23-2018 11:34 AM

Its as best, difficult to buy a car sight unseen. I recently looked at a car inside a warehouse. Then went back to look at it under the sun light,,,i showed up ready to buy,,,, upon closer look, I started to notice paint work had been performed on portions of the body and the all of the hood. This vehicle was being advertized as excellent cosmetics,,,, i passed on the car and later realized that other rennlisters were considering the car based on the sellers descroption. I think that standards vary tremendously from sellers to buyers. Its difficult to buy a car sight unseen. Thank you for sharing. I think Rennlist is a powerful tool !

Lorenzoh 01-23-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LM964 (Post 14748959)
Gulp, is that how much rough looking 964's are going for now? Realistic these days?

I think 55-65 gets you a very nice example.
Problem in this case was the seller...as usual. Being completely inept and dishonest are a bad combo.

Lorenzoh 01-23-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 14749000)
Sorry to hear. Sounds like the car was more of a track rat than they cared to admit. Keep the faith they pop up when you least expect.

Thanks, Tony. The search continues, although being narrowed down much closer to home.

Spyerx 01-23-2018 11:51 AM

sounds like a 50k car :-)

Lorenzoh 01-23-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by afshinbahrami (Post 14749310)
Its as best, difficult to buy a car sight unseen. I recently looked at a car inside a warehouse. Then went back to look at it under the sun light,,,i showed up ready to buy,,,, upon closer look, I started to notice paint work had been performed on portions of the body and the all of the hood. This vehicle was being advertized as excellent cosmetics,,,, i passed on the car and later realized that other rennlisters were considering the car based on the sellers descroption. I think that standards vary tremendously from sellers to buyers. Its difficult to buy a car sight unseen. Thank you for sharing. I think Rennlist is a powerful tool !

Its just criminal how unscrupulous sellers can be. But what’s even more astonishing is that they think someone is going to spend this kind of money and not do their homework. It’s really insulting on a personal level and takes the fun out what’s supposed to be an enjoyable process.
I would never, ever buy a car sight unseen. I’m way too picky and I know it. But what really irritates me even more are the sellers who use the “well it’s an older car so it’s going to show it’s age” line. Complete BS. I don’t care how old it is, it’s either been taken care of or it hasn’t, period, end of story.

We we need to start a #timesup campaign against jackass sellers. But, in the meantime this place is a good tool for keeping sellers honest and I hope my bad experience helps someone else down the line.

Tarek307 01-23-2018 02:25 PM

Not as bad as the C2 i almost bought on ebay and the guy never mentioned that the odometer hasn't worked in 11 years...i asked him how he is estimating the miles and he said he calculates in his head lol...and the car was up for another week without anything being changed in the ad. Private sellers especially if they have no ethics or moral compass they have nothing to lose when they misrepresent a car...whats the recourse? ...i deal with it all the time!

mooty 01-23-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tarek307 (Post 14749762)
..i asked him how he is estimating the miles and he said he calculates in his head lol...!

\that's just genius.... nOT

Jjm4life 01-23-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx
sounds like a 50k car :-)

My thoughts exactly. The clean ones are getting harder and harder to find.

Rising tide raises all ships.

Tarek307 01-24-2018 02:03 AM

Lorenzoh has sure ruined this cars reputation for life-specially with that headline- now anyone that googles that vin number will always get the "warning" i guess the seller messed with the wrong guy..& the cars rep has been destroyed forever online