Sponsored by:

Help! I'm so close to getting this 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I'm so close to getting this 964

hi, after two week of excited/stressful/disappointing/reappointing(lol)/ just a roller coaster ride of a purchase for my first Porsche, I have one step less to verify before I complete the deal!! But i need help from the connoisseurs of this fine forum...

I live in California and I am trying to buy this car in New York, so shipping price is already expensive and the PPI was too. The price is over my budget by 20%, but the car is in better condition then expected and therefore I am willing to pick pretty much 100% of what was to be my safety/repair/backup budget.

The thing is, that early in my research I read somewhere that Taxes wouldn't apply if the seller was a private one (my case), and stupidly checked that out of my list and moved on to do all the tons of other research necessary when buying such a fine car.

but now that the deal is so close to an end I actually double checked this tax business and realize holy jesus it looks like it's going to cost me a good 8% (Love California)...

So I guess my question is, has anyone had such an experience (Californians, I'm talking to you), who bought an out of state car like that and had it imported to California, and can share that experience with me?

Thank you, please help me, my dream is so close to coming true
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

Here she is...

Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm in the process of buying a 964 also and yes the taxes will need to be paid within 30 days of entry into CA. CA website has a page that calculates the taxes for you, it includes registration and inspection fees. I would set aside about 10% for everything.

For reference nearly every state taxes the purchase of a car regardless of how its purchased. The only time taxes could be reduced is if you traded a car, in that instance you only pay taxes on the difference.

Good lucky with the purchase!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If it is a private seller see if you can pay half for the car and the other have for all the accessories that come with it under a seperate bill of sale. Only the price of the car will be taxed....if you get my drift..

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm in the process of buying a 964 also and yes the taxes will need to be paid within 30 days of entry into CA. CA website has a page that calculates the taxes for you, it includes registration and inspection fees. I would set aside about 10% for everything.

For reference nearly every state taxes the purchase of a car regardless of how its purchased. The only time taxes could be reduced is if you traded a car, in that instance you only pay taxes on the difference.

Good lucky with the purchase!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:18 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurelian Fousse
hi, after two week of excited/stressful/disappointing/reappointing(lol)/ just a roller coaster ride of a purchase for my first Porsche, I have one step less to verify before I complete the deal!! But i need help from the connoisseurs of this fine forum...

I live in California and I am trying to buy this car in New York, so shipping price is already expensive and the PPI was too. The price is over my budget by 20%, but the car is in better condition then expected and therefore I am willing to pick pretty much 100% of what was to be my safety/repair/backup budget.

The thing is, that early in my research I read somewhere that Taxes wouldn't apply if the seller was a private one (my case), and stupidly checked that out of my list and moved on to do all the tons of other research necessary when buying such a fine car.

but now that the deal is so close to an end I actually double checked this tax business and realize holy jesus it looks like it's going to cost me a good 8% (Love California)...

So I guess my question is, has anyone had such an experience (Californians, I'm talking to you), who bought an out of state car like that and had it imported to California, and can share that experience with me?

Thank you, please help me, my dream is so close to coming true
I bought a 2005 benz E320 cdi from Texas and drove it to CA, had to pay 9.25% tax I believe it was, when I entered CA and went the DMV.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 AM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

That's a good idea, anyone want to comment on that?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:38 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Every state has sales tax whether you buy new, used, from a dealer or private seller. It isn't that you are buying out of state, but buying and registering in CA. If the car was registered bu you in NY you would pay NY sales tax of 4% plus any county taxes. I live in CA now and brought my car here from out of state registration fee is paid but not tax on value of car due to it being registered out of state for a year before coming to CA. Also there is a penalty added for the longer you take to register after the first 20 days from the date it enters into the state.
As far as the other suggested method...morality is a personal decision you that have to make that call on your own.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

Yes you're right I don't want to fraud and risk anything on legal matters, I was hoping that there was a legal way out of this or at least to diminish the absurdly high 8% CA tax.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Or you could move to Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon which have no sales tax.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I always thought it was immoral of the state to tax you on something that's already been taxed before! Just see if the seller will fudge on the sales price on the bill of sale. It's not hard to justify a low price on a 25-year-old car
Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
I always thought it was immoral of the state to tax you
Fixed it for you!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

In Nevada we don't pay sales tax on private party purchases and if you trade-in to a dealer on a purchase, you also get the sales tax credit like AZ.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
If it is a private seller see if you can pay half for the car and the other have for all the accessories that come with it under a seperate bill of sale. Only the price of the car will be taxed....if you get my drift..
^^^^^ This.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:04 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

your going to pay sales tax on book value of the car. It's the same here in RI. I went through this when I brought my car. They valued it at more than I paid.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Aurelian Fousse
Track Day

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
^^^^^ This.
Yeah I talked to the seller and he said we could do that, it's much smarter and technically not illegal. I agree that it's totally immoral for thestate to tax you on something that has already been taxed. The state doesnt do crap in the transaction and the regulatory part of manufacturing were already taxed the first time it was bought... And when you see the qualitu of the roads we have in California, smh

Quick Reply: Help! I'm so close to getting this 964