Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:25 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that some have big problems.
Mine is also working great with wasted spark and 980cc injectors. The base configfile that you get with the kit is just a startup map in my eyes, my config is tweaked alot from the base map.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:35 PM
Superfx
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If tweaking would fix it mine´d running better than an F1 car by now !!...
Old 01-16-2022, 04:41 PM
Superfx
Intermediate

Hey DLS,
Do you have a known good cfg i could try ?
If so is your vems/cfg from Peep and have you had to change any original settings to get it to start or run ?
I only need the idle areas to test out my fault so fully tuned tables aren´t necessary.
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:35 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfx
Hey DLS,
Do you have a known good cfg i could try ?
If so is your vems/cfg from Peep and have you had to change any original settings to get it to start or run ?
I only need the idle areas to test out my fault so fully tuned tables aren´t necessary.
Thanks.
Yes my vems is from peep and only problem i had to start it first time was that the injector settings were set for low impedance and i use high impedance injectors.
After i changed that it started right up.
If you only need Idle area then the basemap is good enough If you sett req.fuel right and i think the basemap is in the beginning of this thread.
But if you want i can start up my laptop to get a cfg file.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Superfx
Intermediate

Hi DLS,
I´d appreciate a known good cfg as i have only one from Peep that has run the car.
I´d just like to rule out any software probs or finger trouble with the cfg by loading a proven cfg, although i´m pretty sure mine´s good.
Passes the verification test every time.
If your using Deka 80´s it should be close enough to run ...even the DME Idles it better than a bad start on Vems !
Thanks.!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:22 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi mdnt,
I missed your reply earlier...i was wondering if i could get the config that you used to test Shorty´s ECU as i don´t have a known config that has worked on my car.
I think yours should at least idle on mine without much issue. What supercharger did you use ? i thought i´d be putting vems on my mgb that i´ve supercharged witha m45 in blowthrough config by now...bu thats another story..

It is a Eaton m62 from a GM Cobalt SS or LSJ Ecotec. It was too long with the inlet snout and built-in bypass valve so I cut it off.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:36 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi DLS,
I´d appreciate a known good cfg as i have only one from Peep that has run the car.
I´d just like to rule out any software probs or finger trouble with the cfg by loading a proven cfg, although i´m pretty sure mine´s good.
Passes the verification test every time.
If your using Deka 80´s it should be close enough to run ...even the DME Idles it better than a bad start on Vems !
Thanks.!
How's the car running now? Any updates?
Old 03-04-2022, 04:44 AM
teveo
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am following this thread with great interest, bought a kit from vems/peep that he sent me after 12 weeks time, since he has disappeared. He still owes me for the MAC solenoid he did not send but I dont have time to spend on him for a solenoid I can get at $35. Not impressed though.

Anyway, I have installed the Vems ECU, wideband lambda, temp sensor and have new TDC and that other sensor. I ordered wasted spark and I just need some info on where to install the pins from the cable that came with the wasted spark. I am reading up on the vems.hu site and it helps but I dont want to make errors and possibly damage electronics.

I also have a question about the injectors, just before I ordered the VEMS I bought new 72lbs dekas from racetronix, these are low impedance. Should these be run with resistors with the VEMS?

My "project thread" is here, with flashy photos from the vems application
Old 03-04-2022, 09:29 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by teveo

Anyway, I have installed the Vems ECU, wideband lambda, temp sensor and have new TDC and that other sensor. I ordered wasted spark and I just need some info on where to install the pins from the cable that came with the wasted spark. I am reading up on the vems.hu site and it helps but I dont want to make errors and possibly damage electronics.

I also have a question about the injectors, just before I ordered the VEMS I bought new 72lbs dekas from racetronix, these are low impedance. Should these be run with resistors with the VEMS?
Hi,

The pin change for wasted spark is quite simple, here's the direct quote from Peep from a few years ago when I asked the same thing:

"Just connect two crimped wires to pins 34 and 36 and thick red one to 12v factory coil supply and change outputs in vemstune from 36-36-36-36 to 34-36-34-36 or if it does not start then 36-34-36-34"

As for the injectors, I know you already bought the ones you have, but for simplicity's sake I would recommend the Siemens-Deka high-impedance 80-lb injectors (part # FI114992 or 110324) that I and numerous other people run, plug and play. They are on the large side, but I can still finely control the idle pulse width and pass the infamous California "smog"/emissions test with these injectors installed, and the idle is factory smooth.

If you still want to run the low-Z injectors, here is an old help page from the VEMS site, and an extension board that is sold by VEMS in EU (I don't think Peep's setup comes with this unless specified):

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...FLowZInjectors

http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/lowz-ext...nel-p-160.html

Old 03-04-2022, 09:31 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teveo
I am following this thread with great interest, bought a kit from vems/peep that he sent me after 12 weeks time, since he has disappeared. He still owes me for the MAC solenoid he did not send but I dont have time to spend on him for a solenoid I can get at $35. Not impressed though.

My "project thread" is here, with flashy photos from the vems application
You can search this thread regarding installation of wasted spark. If I remember you connect pins 36 and 34 to two outer pins on wasted spark connector and connect center to positive coil wire which is black. Vems will run high or low z injectors no problems. A few ppl are running Mac boost solenoid also. Search this thread also for that.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:21 PM
teveo
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys.

I have not cranked the engine with the vems yet but had "crank, ignite and die" until i gave up with the MAF & DME setup so the new crank sensor may or may not be correctly set up.
I suppose the vems software will identify the pulses, just a little more RTFM.

Injectors; I do have the old resistors I used with the vitesse MAF setup and could just keep them inline. If I were to change injectors would this be the correct ones then?
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-05-2022, 05:22 PM
Superfx
Intermediate

Hello Teveo,
Did you get my pm ?
I´m using those injectors but have had a few probs.
Peeps modding my Vems to the Hi Impedance Inj circuit.
Hopefully this will sort my problems...
For WS you need 12V supply to the coil (Use existing coil wiring), Neg from WS to the Cylinder Head, EC18-4 triggers Cyl 1 & 4, Ec18-10 triggers 2 & 3.
The HT lead coil connector is different to the stock 944. Peep supplies them also.
I think Audi S5000 wires might fit but i´m not sure.

I´ve been advised there is probably better injectors (more modern) injectors to use now but im happy with the Deka´s for now.
Be sure to get original Dekas & not counterfeits....
I´ll update when i´ve run my revised Vems..
Old 03-05-2022, 10:58 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Hello Teveo,
Did you get my pm ?
I´m using those injectors but have had a few probs.
Peeps modding my Vems to the Hi Impedance Inj circuit.
Hopefully this will sort my problems...
For WS you need 12V supply to the coil (Use existing coil wiring), Neg from WS to the Cylinder Head, EC18-4 triggers Cyl 1 & 4, Ec18-10 triggers 2 & 3.
The HT lead coil connector is different to the stock 944. Peep supplies them also.
I think Audi S5000 wires might fit but i´m not sure.

I´ve been advised there is probably better injectors (more modern) injectors to use now but im happy with the Deka´s for now.
Be sure to get original Dekas & not counterfeits....
I´ll update when i´ve run my revised Vems..
EC18 pins 4 and 10 are stepper outputs. See pinout
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Superfx
Intermediate

The 106 WS needs to be controlled by the stepper.
They will be activated when the ign switch is initally turned on so if theres fuel in a cylinder it can ignite & give the engine a kick, I had it happen once after a vems injector test.
Apparently the 106 coils dont like logic power very much...

Last edited by Superfx; 03-05-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:42 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

The 106 WS needs to be controlled by the stepper.
They will be activated when the ign switch is initally turned on so if theres fuel in a cylinder it can ignite & give the engine a kick, I had it happen once after a vems injector test.
Apparently the 106 coils dont like logic power very much...
interesting! was this info provided by Peep or someone else? Gonna try this and see if it changes anything on my setup. Btw, Ive tried looking for EC18 pin 4 but couldnt find it on my list.

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install