Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 05:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran this camshaft some years ago and spent much time doing all sorts of adjustments trying to get it to work and the bottom line is it is not suited at all for a low compression 944 turbo engine. It has too much overlap which causes too much of a compression leak, even under boost. Said differently, it is way too aggressive. Going back to the stock 9R camshaft is the best thing you can do and add an adjustable pulley to find the best cam timing setting for your particular engine.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:08 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I ran this camshaft some years ago and spent much time doing all sorts of adjustments trying to get it to work and the bottom line is it is not suited at all for a low compression 944 turbo engine. It has too much overlap which causes too much of a compression leak, even under boost. Said differently, it is way too aggressive. Going back to the stock 9R camshaft is the best thing you can do.
Applikation : Road

Duration: : 272
Peak timing: : 112
Valve lift: : 12,0
Lift at TDC: : 0,9
Valve timing: : 24/68 - 68/24

I think this may be one problem, but you need to either do a lot of tuning on the street or go to a dyno.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:16 AM
Thom
Race Car

This is originally a NA camshaft profile and as I found out at my own costs it does not work on a turbo engine. Sorry to say but you are wasting your time. Sell it to a NA guy, which is what I did. It is a drop-in replacement in oval dash NA cars.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, this was the cam DBilas recommended for me.
I had the Early NA cam before and i think this is a little better.
The car worked better last year with mafkit and the DBilas cam.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:24 AM
Thom
Race Car

The early NA camshaft is the 5R, also used as the standard turbo camshaft.
What you need is the 9R camshaft, which is the late NA camshaft.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM
DLS
Racer

Originally Posted by Thom
The early NA camshaft is the 5R, also used as the standard turbo camshaft.
What you need is the 9R camshaft, which is the late NA camshaft.
Sorry i meant i had the late 9R.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DLS

So i was at the dyno today.
it was a disappointment
With the base ignition it made
0,7 bar - 255Hp
0,9bar - 273Hp
1,1bar - 284Hp
And it's engine hp
So there is room for major improvements
I need to tweek my ignition and ve table more.
Originally Posted by DLS
* Ported NA head and portmatched intake
* DBilas performance cam
* Specialbuilt and flowprepped k27/8
* O-ringed block
* ARP headstuds
* Rarst rods
* Balance axle delete
* Spec stage 3 clutch
* Lightened flywheel
* Crank, flywheel, pp are balanced
* Rods and pistons are weighted and balanced.

The ignition must be off or it's a major problem with the engine
If youre on base Ignition MAP, i would start modifying it. As some stated, its very conservative. Which means theres more power left to make.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Touringshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
Did an engine, turbo, harness, exhaust, flywheel, clutch and a few other mods to my 87 951 DE car. Thought I could just get going with VEMS for startup.

The car has the TTV 60-2 flywheel and stage 3 clutch. 944crazy got the car running with the speed ref sensor swap advice. Had an issue with a bad FI connector which we replaced and it runs on all 4 consistently now.
The car has no ICV
Running deka 80 lb injectors

Tried to start tuning her this week. Installed a separate 02 that reports to an AFR gauge for reference. In addition to the wideband for VEMS
So the car starts and will not maintain idle. Have had to use the throttle cable to adjust keep her steady at about 1200 rpm, and in that area it goes in and out of rich/lean for the first few minutes finally resting pegged lean at 1.83 Lambda. just realizing prob a bad idea to do that given the dependence of vems on TPS?
Problem is, the independent AFR guage is showing rich the entire time at 10.2-10.5 which is accurate based on my sut observation of the new 4" exhaust and of course the simplicity of it.

I know the wideband is ok as we just recalibrated it, TPS is at 12 as opposed to 0 off throttle because of my buddy fiddling with the throttle cable so TPS has to be recalibrated..
What about start idle? I saw 2 logs on here already with different settings for that?

I'll put yesterday's log up and if anyone can help please chime in. thnks

vems log 9/12/19
Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Touringshoe
Hi guys,
Did an engine, turbo, harness, exhaust, flywheel, clutch and a few other mods to my 87 951 DE car. Thought I could just get going with VEMS for startup.

The car has the TTV 60-2 flywheel and stage 3 clutch. 944crazy got the car running with the speed ref sensor swap advice. Had an issue with a bad FI connector which we replaced and it runs on all 4 consistently now.
The car has no ICV

Tried to start tuning her this week. Installed a separate 02 that reports to an AFR gauge for reference. In addition to the wideband for VEMS
So the car starts and will not maintain idle. Have had to use the throttle cable to adjust keep her steady at about 1200 rpm, and in that area it goes in and out of rich/lean for the first few minutes finally resting pegged lean at 1.83 Lambda. just realizing prob a bad idea to do that given the dependence of vems on TPS?
Problem is, the independent AFR guage is showing rich the entire time at 10.2-10.5 which is accurate based on my sut observation of the new 4" exhaust and of course the simplicity of it.

I know the wideband is ok as we just recalibrated it, TPS is at 12 as opposed to 0 off throttle because of my buddy fiddling with the throttle cable so TPS has to be recalibrated..
What about start idle? I saw 2 logs on here already with different settings for that?

vems log 9/12/19
Why are you adjusting the throttle cable and not using the idle air bypass adjustment screw in the throttle body? Reset the TPMS and use the screw until you get a steady idle. If you don't have an idle valve you will need to keep your foot in it until the engine warms up.

Make sure your reqfuel settings is correct in the VEMS setup menu according to the instructions. Once that is set and the idle good, you can start tuning the cells of the VE table in the idle area, then autotune, etc. Get a professional to help if you don't know what you are doing!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 PM
Touringshoe
Rennlist Member

Chris, until yesterday it wasn't running steady enough to even use the adjustment screw. We should be able to tomorrow though. Reqfuel is where it should be at 5.4 based on calculations from VEMS
I have help from a mechanic (professional) and I intend to get it advanced tuned but gotta get it driving first. Not all mechanics are familiar with VEMS. Tuners some, mechanics not many.

Last edited by Touringshoe; 09-13-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: ww
Old 09-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Chris, until yesterday it wasn't running steady enough to even use the adjustment screw. We should be able to tomorrow though. Reqfuel is where it should be at 5.4 based on calculations from VEMS
I have help from a mechanic (professional) and I intend to get it advanced tuned but gotta get it driving first. Not all mechanics are familiar with VEMS. Tuners some, mechanics not many.
Why did you eliminate the idle control valve? Is this a track car? I see that you live in Scottsdale, and I imagine that you'd want A/C if this is a street car, and you really need an ICV with A/C.

Exactly where are your VEMS and extra Wideband sensors installed? Are you sure there are no exhaust leaks affecting the readings?

Anyway, I remember the VEMS base map being quite lean, and once I was sure all of my settings were correct (and that I had no vacuum leaks!), I simply adjusted cells in the idle area until it ran smoothly, then did autotune runs. The nice thing about using Lambda instead of AFR is that it is easy to calculate your required VE values---if your idle lambda is 1.10, then you are 10% lean. Simply adjust that cell by 10% and you should be close.

But first get your TPS adjusted properly! The speed/density (MAP-based) fuel model depends on an accurate TPS signal.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:03 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi guys,

The car has no ICV

vems log 9/12/19
Since you have a TTV flywheel, I would verify that you have the proper trigger wheel settings and that it's seeing TDC properly. Verify timing also. Also, check that you don't have any vacuum leaks and that you have a good vacuum signal to VEMS ECU MAP sensor.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 AM
DLS
Racer

Originally Posted by shortyboy
If youre on base Ignition MAP, i would start modifying it. As some stated, its very conservative. Which means theres more power left to make.
How much have you changed your ignition map?
Care to share it?
Old 09-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Touringshoe
Rennlist Member

Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 PM
DLS
Racer

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
This is my current table, pretty similar to czentner from a quick glance. 2.5L / T04E .57, ~18psi.

Sam i noticed that you have raised the ignition quite a bit from basemap at 1200,1600 and 2000rpm below 100kpa.
Why did you do that, do it run cooler with more advance?

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install