When to buy Standalone ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When to buy Standalone ECU

Currently starting a track car project (long term) basically starting from a shell and piecing everything together.

I've got an idea for what i plan with the motor.
Would you build the motor first, then buy the ECU.
or
Would you buy the ECU then build the motor around it.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I know Moore's law does not really apply to 944 technology, but on the chance that some new tech comes out, wouldn't it be worth putting the ECU at the end of the project especially if it is a long term build. I could only imagine if someone started a long term project and picked up a Huntley Racing MAF kit with a ARC fuel calibration module tied in, only to finish the project in today's day and age of choices. I know that is a beyond extreme example, but I would always want the newest computer technology, where as the motor side of the equation is more tried and true.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian
I know Moore's law does not really apply to 944 technology, but on the chance that some new tech comes out, wouldn't it be worth putting the ECU at the end of the project especially if it is a long term build. I could only imagine if someone started a long term project and picked up a Huntley Racing MAF kit with a ARC fuel calibration module tied in, only to finish the project in today's day and age of choices. I know that is a beyond extreme example, but I would always want the newest computer technology, where as the motor side of the equation is more tried and true.
That does make sense. But that's more of a piggy back stock ecu option.
These days they all do the same thing. really they're all just becoming smaller.

and most ECU ranges last 5 or so years. I dont know how long this build will take. apart of me wants it finished with in a year. but i want to take my time with it. 2-3 years. and i don't know what period i'll be building the engine.
this is just everything im piecing together.

I'll have a thread about it soon.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:15 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I bought the ECU first to get used to it and learn how to tune it...so that when the new engine goes in, I can just jump right on it.

VEMS is amazing...I have my 2.5NA running on it now, great power, great response, great MPG.
Whenever I finish the 16v SC engine I just have to change some numbers around and go drive it...it has a "VE auto tune" feature where it uses the Wideband input to fine-tune the AFR at any given throttle/rpm/load point. You just need to make the values 75% correct and the ECU does the rest...
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Pick options you want from standalone and buy it, it will still have the same options after 10 years.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

It really doesn't make any difference when you get the stand alone as you will tune it to the motor. The nice thing about having it ahead of time is that you can build the harness for it as you go along, you will know what sensors need to be updated etc. I have placed a stand alone in a car when the original system in the 951 failed, and I had one that I had when I built the engine.

I did not change my engine build due to the ecu.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Seems like best option will probably be to buy it when building engine. to include sensors like crank angle ect. to what ever that particular ecu needs. As long as the engine isn't inside the car
Old 09-21-2016, 07:45 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The engineer in me agrees with the previous poster - technology can change very rapidly, so focus on the engine and then get the best available standalone once complete. And if something unfortunate happens during the rebuild (like it grenades upon first start), you aren't holding the vem for another year searching for engine. And if there is any warranty/support period on the standalone, you aren't burning that warranty with it still on the shelf.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:20 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

It depends a lot on what you're adding to the build that the stock system isn't adaptable to (within reason). For example if you are running a stock engine with maybe an upgraded turbo and other normal mods, it's not important, both will work. But if you're doing stuff like antilag, EBC, map switching, wasted spark, etc... You may as well start with a standalone.

Also...you don't necessarily need the latest and greatest ECU, pretty much all offerings these days will meet 99% of your needs. Unless you just want to spend $10k on something.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The most important thing is deciding on what you will use for a crank sensor and if you should use a custom flywheel. Not many ecus work with the stock flywheel and having the sensor on the front is not the greatest.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

...VEMS will run the stock sensors...
Old 09-21-2016, 11:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
The most important thing is deciding on what you will use for a crank sensor and if you should use a custom flywheel. Not many ecus work with the stock flywheel and having the sensor on the front is not the greatest.
Agree with this. Not too hard to get a custom flywheel though.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait a bit Pauly, something coming soon that is very nice. I already have the 60-2 normal clutch flywheel, developing a 60-2 push type clutch flywheel soon that will go with the aforementioned system. Going to try and develop a 60-2 968 TT compatible flywheel push type combo as well. As previously mentioned the key is a reliable crank sensor and maybe just as important the Cam sensor. I don't hate the Clewett, but it could and will be better when I am done.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for your input. Appreciate it.

I'll wait until un virtually finished the engine.

Eric, keen to see what you come up with. I am pretty open to anything as the engine isn't a 944 block. possibly a 924 2L so i really am open to anything.

Ideally i do have an ECU in mind. which has a lot of local support.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

With 924 2.0l block my first question is what cylinder head are you planning to use?

Quick Reply: When to buy Standalone ECU