Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken AC Compressor Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Broken AC Compressor Bolt

My AC/alternator belt started squealing recently, I tightened it up once, but went to do it again and I see the forward top AC mounting bolt was sheared. At least part of the threads are showing on the back side of it so I should be able to get it out.

This same thing happened on my 968.....WTF?

I guess put it on the to-do list, I did tighten the belt a little and the squealing is limited to about 20 seconds after start up. However, I won't run the AC until it's fixed.

My fix on the speed / reference sensors with new wiring to the DME is now considered a success, it used to die after the car got heat soaked and I would have to wiggle them around to get it going again.

The recent alignment and rebuild of the front A arms is also a success, just a few little items left to fully sort the car.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

When you tightened the belt tensioner, did you first loosen the two pivot/hanger bolts from which the compressor hangs?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

No I did not.....I did loose the belt tensioner bolts....but not the AC compressor, sounds like that could be an issue.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Yea, I've seen a few of those bolts broken over the years (or worse, snapped off ears on the compressor $$$$$).

The rear bolt is hard to get to and people tend to gorilla the **** out of it when tightening or just ignore it altogether.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was one of those with one of the compressor bolt ears broken off. I can't tell from your description if that is what your issue is, but I'm here to tell you it does happen. The symptom was a un-fixable squealing belt; I'm not sure the broken part was really visible until we got the compressor out.

I ended up replacing the compressor and doing a refrigerant conversion with parts from griffiths.com. At bit expensive but done right.

Quick Reply: Broken AC Compressor Bolt