Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What intercooler for a race car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Patrick, what model do you use?
It looks like a Laminova type. Is it different?
What radiator do you use and is it enough for long runs (40 minutes races or enduro)?
Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyril
I have no idea but here is a picture.
New engine finished and tuned this winter.
Did you incorporate any of the lessons learned from this site for the installation of the sleeves? A lot of us have the Darton MID sleeves and had a painful learning curve with them.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Patrick, what model do you use?
It looks like a Laminova type. Is it different?
What radiator do you use and is it enough for long runs (40 minutes races or enduro)?
Hi Cyril

Yes, it's similar to the Laminova (which Gustaf runs I believe). We run this one as we have the same company's Intercooler and radiator. The one we use is the same as fitted to some of the V8 Supercar racers down here so I would think you should have no problem running one in your car. The advantages are many. Firstly you don't have to run a vent to this part therefore reducing drag and lift. It's compact and we've fitted ours in a similar area to where you have your cooler now. Of course it requires a bit of plumbing but in terms of temps our water and oil temps sit around 85c from memory. Certainly worth speaking to them to weigh up your options. Of course they do regular oil coolers too. They have an outlet in the US too.

As far as the MiD's go, yes, some of us had all sorts of issues with these. However there are people running them successfully. Hopefully whoever fitted yours knew what they're doing. But you'd know very quickly if they didn't!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Just found a pic Cyril. You can see how compact it is. Be aware that some of the Alu in that shot is part of the plumbing and the splitter mount behind the Oil cooler.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting, thank you Patrick.
It seems to be the way to go.
Now I need to determine the model I need and the best way to install it properly. And btw find the right big radiator...

So, with enough room in front off my radiator, back to the intercooler.
After more search, the FMIC seems to be the way to go as it is simply more efficient.

I found few good brands: PWR, Plazmaman, Spearco and Bell.

What brand and design do you guys recommend?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how do those work? no air flow? use coolent to cool the oil in a heat transfer?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Very interesting, thank you Patrick.
It seems to be the way to go.
Now I need to determine the model I need and the best way to install it properly. And btw find the right big radiator...

So, with enough room in front off my radiator, back to the intercooler.
After more search, the FMIC seems to be the way to go as it is simply more efficient.

I found few good brands: PWR, Plazmaman, Spearco and Bell.

What brand and design do you guys recommend?
If you want to go down this path Cyril I would contact PWR and discuss all the cooling needs. All 3 of the cooling cores on this car are from them.

Originally Posted by dizzyj
how do those work? no air flow? use coolent to cool the oil in a heat transfer?
Yes, the coolant is used in conjunction with these to cool the oil. Brings the heat up on both nicely and they tend to sit on same or very similar temps.
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2016, 09:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Love the look of that front structure.
Nice and organized and clean routing of the lines.

THe cooler pictured below looks AWESOME too....A2W laminova type is as good as oil cooling gets.

Put it where it will fit, and then make sure you have the biggest damn radiator you can fit.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just found a pic Cyril. You can see how compact it is. Be aware that some of the Alu in that shot is part of the plumbing and the splitter mount behind the Oil cooler.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

Here is a picture of my oil cooler (Setrab 925: 14.09 x 7.6 core) when I built the first shroud. I had to build another one with a bigger opening as my temperature was too high. It is better but not enough as I want to stay under 230 deg F.
It is not finished on this picture, the opening is the same on the wheel well with a shroud too.

I am planning to go with the bigger one (935: 14.09 x 10.39). It is 37% bigger and I hope it will be big enough. I am still questioning about the location.
Same place vs in front of the radiator. This is why I am asking about the Intercooler.

Any other opinion, brand,... ?
Perhaps your photo just doesn't show, but you need an air EXIT as well as an air ENTRANCE. Otherwise you'll not have enough airflow to cool the oil. I ran a similar arrangement to yours but there was also a duct running to the inner fender where holes were cut for the air to exit.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

^^ Exactly Michael. A cooling core is only as good as the airflow is allowed to be. Ducting and exit is as important as entry, possibly more.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:28 AM
MockngBrd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone hav pics of the Lindsey? I suspect my car came with one (it only fits with the Stage V nosecone) , but i don't see any LR branding on it.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You're nuts....In a good way!

You rebuilt the motor after Charles's rebuild?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:01 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts

Here is a picture of my oil cooler (Setrab 925: 14.09 x 7.6 core) when I built the first shroud. I had to build another one with a bigger opening as my temperature was too high. It is better but not enough as I want to stay under 230 deg F.
It is not finished on this picture, the opening is the same on the wheel well with a shroud too.

I am planning to go with the bigger one (935: 14.09 x 10.39). It is 37% bigger and I hope it will be big enough. I am still questioning about the location.
Same place vs in front of the radiator. This is why I am asking about the Intercooler.

Any other opinion, brand,... ?
Here's another mistake often made with cooler plumbing that is critical: You have to make sure the cooler is filling with oil for it to be cooled. To ensure this, with side inlet/outlets, the inlet must be on the bottom and the outlet on the top so oil fills the cooler before it exits. If the cooler has topside in/outlets, either position will work. If you have bottom in/out, the cooler will never fill with oil and it cannot provide any cooling. If you've got this plumbing wrong, any increase in cooler size won't help your temperature problems.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
If you have bottom in/out, the cooler will never fill with oil and it cannot provide any cooling. If you've got this plumbing wrong, any increase in cooler size won't help your temperature problems.
ORLY?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Here's another mistake often made with cooler plumbing that is critical: You have to make sure the cooler is filling with oil for it to be cooled. To ensure this, with side inlet/outlets, the inlet must be on the bottom and the outlet on the top so oil fills the cooler before it exits. If the cooler has topside in/outlets, either position will work. If you have bottom in/out, the cooler will never fill with oil and it cannot provide any cooling. If you've got this plumbing wrong, any increase in cooler size won't help your temperature problems.
That makes sense...

However, looking at the factory cooler, the outlet appears to be on the bottom of the cooler?
Maybe it doesn't matter much on the stock cooler.

Since I copied the stock layout with my rx7 cooler it looks like I should swap the lines around when I put my engine back in. It still worked pretty good though as it never went much over 100C at the track even in summer.

Quick Reply: What intercooler for a race car?