Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What intercooler for a race car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Possibly a packaging constraint for a road going car? For a track car you want to maximise efficiency for all cooling.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Possibly a packaging constraint for a road going car? For a track car you want to maximise efficiency for all cooling.
Yeah probably something like that.

The rx7 cooler did work very well as it was though (I only do short sprints anyway) but I will definitely be swapping the lines around just to get every last bit of cooling out of it. Luckily I've taken out the A/C so I can mount the cooler further back and the lines will still reach.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be going with a PWR intercooler. I was planning on doing it last month, but never got around to proper measurements. - Not a huge priority at the moment as it's winter and doesn't get driven in the winter.
A lot of our big performance cars down here use PWR. like Patrick said, the V8 supercars use PWR cores. And if they use it, I don't see it being a terrible product. I think you're getting a lot of quality for the price.
Plazmaman are great also, but IMO they're not cheap.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944crazy
That makes sense...

However, looking at the factory cooler, the outlet appears to be on the bottom of the cooler?
Maybe it doesn't matter much on the stock cooler.

Since I copied the stock layout with my rx7 cooler it looks like I should swap the lines around when I put my engine back in. It still worked pretty good though as it never went much over 100C at the track even in summer.
I don't know any of the pressures or flow rates, so this is speculation, but the stock cooler may be small enough that it's flow rate is less than the hose and pump and therefor oil would be forced through all channels even feeding from the top. If that's the case feeding from the bottom may still be better, but probably not by much.

The rx7 cooler may have the same benefit of restriction, but either way it gains from the fact that even fed from the top the oil still has to go across and back providing a fair amount of coiling even if not optimal.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjb3
Cyril..... who made your rear quarters..... very nice?

Thx

Cj
Sorry Cj, I missed this one.
The full body kit is from IFC Racing. I made the one piece front myself from the kit. You can find details about my wide body here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...fc-racing.html
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

BTW, the fenders are now different.
This is a picture during the work. Rear fenders are now closed and I need to finish the front.
And build a diffuser. For that I am working on a side exhaust with the muffler in the tunnel as I need to pass the 92db sound level. Not easy...
Then the flat blottom...
With more aero, heat management will be more and more tricky.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Perhaps your photo just doesn't show, but you need an air EXIT as well as an air ENTRANCE. Otherwise you'll not have enough airflow to cool the oil. I ran a similar arrangement to yours but there was also a duct running to the inner fender where holes were cut for the air to exit.
Here is the shroud on the Turbo with the Setrab 925.
Sorry I had to take those pics at the last minute in my trailer as I am travelling right now.

I am now using those openings on the bumper (Turn sign, Fog light and lower vents). Last picture is the exit in the front wheel fender.
Attached Images       
Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dwane
You're nuts....In a good way!

You rebuilt the motor after Charles's rebuild?
Hey Dwane!
Yes, I ran 2 years with Charles engine then we decided with Ron to rebuilt the engine.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Here's another mistake often made with cooler plumbing that is critical: You have to make sure the cooler is filling with oil for it to be cooled. To ensure this, with side inlet/outlets, the inlet must be on the bottom and the outlet on the top so oil fills the cooler before it exits. If the cooler has topside in/outlets, either position will work. If you have bottom in/out, the cooler will never fill with oil and it cannot provide any cooling. If you've got this plumbing wrong, any increase in cooler size won't help your temperature problems.
Interesting!
I pretty sure I did what Porsche did.

Before and after pics.

Should I do it differently?
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Cyril is that how your car is now with the modified open fenders? Looks way more Time Attack setup like that. I like it. Not as pretty and old school as before but a lot more aero efficient. Has this design been developed through working with Ernie? Have you been able to measure the difference?
Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Cyril is that how your car is now with the modified open fenders? Looks way more Time Attack setup like that. I like it. Not as pretty and old school as before but a lot more aero efficient. Has this design been developed through working with Ernie? Have you been able to measure the difference?
Efficiency is the priority. I am starting to learn how aero works and I have to say the result is impressive. Ernie is not involved for now but will be next winter as I am planning to try it in the wind tunnel.
For now I am trying different things, understand how it works and improve what I have. Next challenge is the thermal management that comes with aerodynamic.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyril
BTW, the fenders are now different.
This is a picture during the work. Rear fenders are now closed and I need to finish the front.
And build a diffuser. For that I am working on a side exhaust with the muffler in the tunnel as I need to pass the 92db sound level. Not easy...
Then the flat blottom...
With more aero, heat management will be more and more tricky.
Cyril, did you cut the fenders and drop the bumper for better aerodynamics?
If so, what was the result?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Cyril, did you cut the fenders and drop the bumper for better aerodynamics?
If so, what was the result?
Yes but I still need to build a diffuser for it. Lot of potential of development on that car but it takes time.
My 944 Turbo is definitely fast and fun but right now I am focusing on my racing season with the Cup.
I will work on the Turbo next winter as I have nothing to cut or modify on my Cup... ;-)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

What does faster laptimes Cyril?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

What does faster laptimes Cyril?
With the Cup?
I will be on the track with it for the first time next week. I will be able to compare lap times. Obviously tires will be different (Slicks vs R7).

Quick Reply: What intercooler for a race car?