Side exit race exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:25 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side exit race exhaust

My race on;y E stock 1989 Turbo 944 has a simple side exit exhaust pipe.

No cat, no muffler, just a 3" round exit coming out in front of the passenger rear wheel. It has run great for a couple years in this configuration.

Anyways, this exhaust pipe was custom made. Does anyone know of a place that sells them made already ?

I have another friend with an E stock racer and wants one too ?

Or do we jst need to fabricate another one ?

Thanks,
Norm
Old 10-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been talking with tim at speedforce and he was going to possibly start making these for me to sell plus i wanted one for my car... iirc they would attach to his test pipe and be oval stainless, all polished and with the usual awesome tim welds (not that matters for a race car though i guess), if you are interested give me a call (631-423-0275) or e-mail me.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

This is an interesting way to go, keep us posted on the progress dan......
Old 10-16-2003, 06:17 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Aw dude, that's be totally awesome for the street! The only thing louder than my Fabspeed setup...keep me informed.

Sam
Old 10-16-2003, 06:22 PM
uber944
Instructor

i want one too sound sweet of the street. would be fun to shoot flames at the person id be street racing
Old 10-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Norm,

You can get all the pieces you need at Burns, I think, including the round to oval adapter. I saved a search somewhere. I was thinking about making up one this winter.

However, if Tim produces one it would be a nice part and no frustration on your part. I bought one of Tim's cat back straight pipes and the welds are first class.

If you want to go low cost, as in Team Cheap, you could simply use a short piece of 3" pipe with a 30 degree bend angled down and to the right mated at the end of the cat bypass section. You could rotate the pipe to the left or right depending on where the noise station was setup. This was my interim Pep Boys solution while I waited on Tims' cat back pipe.

Will you be at John's on Saturday?

Alan C.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:12 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will check with Tim. It is for a friends car, but I would not mind replacing mine since it is corroding. The rest of the pipe likes like nice stainless but it may be milt steep after the wel at the end. I would rather have a nice looking one too.

Alan, unfortunately I wont be there. I will be in San Fran on business...
Are you going/instructing @ VIR ?

Norm

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2003, 09:16 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW - My car came with this side exit exhaust straight from the turbo. Does that mean I have a cat back ?

Can someone post a pic of a catback so I know what the pipe looks like. That way I can make sure I order the right pipe.

Thx,
Norm
Old 10-17-2003, 10:17 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

For those of you, like me, that want this for the street. This is what I am looking at, then maybe weld a straight pipe to this. Plus it is cockpit adjustable!!!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101
Old 10-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody that wants to put a side pipe on a street car is crazy. I run my SFR straightpipe @ the track so I may hear the motor better among other loud cars, on the street it'd be ridiculous. Dare I say the "R" word?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure! This car is my ricer.

Sam
Old 10-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Here is what me and tim spoke about today:

There are 2 ways to get the side exit exhaust done, both will have 4" oval tubing, stainless, tim quality polished and welded etc. etc.

option #1:
if you already have a SFR style test pipe (with the removable straight portion) or you are a racer who needs to be able to easily swap from side pipe to muffler for noise restricted tracks then the pipe will cost about $475 give or take. this pipe replaces the straight half of the test pipe.

option #2:
this pipe connects to the down pipe and goes right out the side (it is essentially the test pipe and side pipe in one) there will be options to work with either the stock down pipe or the SFR 3" down pipe and since there will be no wastegate tie in a small pipe will be included to go off your waste gate seperately, this will cost you about $525

neither are cheap, they are around the price range of a nice cat back but tim makes nice parts and if you want wide open exhaust option #2 is cool imho... as far as street use, i think side exit exhaust with an open waste gate will be a little crazy... but to each his own, i am a dealer for his parts so if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan, that is pretty high for a test pipe and WG dump.

BTW - anyone who wants to run this on the street has NEVER heard what this sounds like. It is cool for about 5 mins. Maybe not even that long. We are not talking about rice, but rather semi-deafning exhaust noise. Your neighbors will HATE you and likely call the cops for disturbing the peace. I mean this is going to be LOUD, not wow that sounds nice loud, just plain LOUD.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Matt H
Dan, that is pretty high for a test pipe and WG dump.

BTW - anyone who wants to run this on the street has NEVER heard what this sounds like. It is cool for about 5 mins. Maybe not even that long. We are not talking about rice, but rather semi-deafning exhaust noise. Your neighbors will HATE you and likely call the cops for disturbing the peace. I mean this is going to be LOUD, not wow that sounds nice loud, just plain LOUD.
The regular test pipe is going for $499 according to the sfr website, for $26 more option #2 is going out the side of the car and includes a small pipe for the wastegate, i thought $26 was pretty good

the first option is however expensive i agree but tim said the bent oval tubing costs way more than regular round and am am usually not one to complain about price.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think overall the price is high not the $26 extra. I think 499 is too high. Hey, if you have a race car and this is the only thing you still need whats 500 bucks?

The quality of their products is top notch and someone has always answered the phone and my dumb questions, I am just cheap.

Quick Reply: Side exit race exhaust