Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Why I am going for RX8 over G35

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Why I am going for RX8 over G35

Two great cars. MazaRX8 and InfinityG35. I am choosing one of these for my daily driver.

The G35 has a great sounding motor, low end torque, and luxury car items I could take or leave like dual air control, 12v outlets all over the place, etc. It reminds me of a 944 in one aspect.

The RX8 reminds me more of our cars, athletic, likes high RPM (mazda redlines at 9000 though). I think quickly the tuners will be going crazy on this car. It is different than a 944 in that same one aspect.

I could debate forever on the pros and cons of each car, but there was a clincher. That aspect is the back seat.

The back seat on the G35, like a 944, has no head room for a person over around 5'4". The back seat of an RX8 has ample head room.

Decision made. One car fits 2, one fits 4.

I already have a sports car that fits two people(951), so i think i'm going RX8. IF ANYONE HAS ONE, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.

And of course the RX 8 is a blast to drive.

Happy motoring!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is strictly hersay, but I've heard rumors of the RX8 being WAY down on power from what was claimed (I mean, more than the normal 'fudge factor' by a ways). definatally look into this because I have no idea if it's true or not but it'd be a ****ty thing to find out after the fact...
Old 10-15-2003, 03:11 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

IMO, Mazda is a bunch of damned liars. There are Dyno Sheets of these things all over the internet of broken in RX-8s makeing 167-169 hp to the wheels. Thats some crazy drivetrain loss.

And it's a rotary, so you don't get even that power until way up in the rpm range. Its a damned shame they put such a weak engine in a Functional, beautiful car.

Just my $.02
Old 10-15-2003, 03:23 PM
gilwong
Instructor

Madza has gone on record as having overstated the horsepower on the RX8 and have a standing offer to buy back cars from dis-satisfied customers.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has Saturn style rear "doors". It looks awful in the front fender area. Has no spare tire (1800 dollar option IIRC). You get the power pretty much all over do to good gearing. Shifting is very smooth. You can reprogram the ECU if you desire the entirety of the power (and you dont have emissions). I was extremely disappointed with the few I have driven (and I have had a number of RXs). There are plans for a turbo so if fast is what you want then hold out a little. There are no plans for a coupe though and until then I dont want one in the least. RXs have exactly 2 doors and no more PERIOD. (please dont point out ancient Rx-2/3/4s)
Old 10-15-2003, 03:38 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Madza has gone on record as having overstated the horsepower on the RX8 and have a standing offer to buy back cars from dis-satisfied customers.
True. The corrected horsepower figure is 238 hp. That still seems way overrated to me. Almost 30% drivetrain loss in a manual?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:54 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

The last N/A RX-7 had 160hp up from 146hp in 86-88. I was floored when they stated the RX-8's hp numbers. I still have an 87 RX-7 that has a mild steet port, 89' rotors, 12lb flywheel, enlarged oil passages on the main bearings and was fully balanced. Also has racing beat headers and open exhaust. I estimate it's power to be 200hp. I know that the 13B motor can be built to support 300HP without turbo's, but that is really cutting down on the daily driving factor.

I personally have never seen the redline in this motor because I still have the 87' computer with a 7800rpm fuel cutoff. The last time I ran a 1/4 mile with the car I turned a 15.5. And I am no 1/4 miler.

I have yet to drive an RX-8 but imagine it will be a very good car even though mazda has not stuck to their heritage. I personally think that Mazda should scrap Turbo Charging the production Rotary and GIVE US THE 3 ROTOR. That will produce an Easy 300hp in street trim and rev to hell and back. And if you change the oil and nothing else, will last over 200,000 miles.

Personally, I would buy the G35 Sedan. I drove one a while back with the auto stick and it was fabulous. Same 3.5 as the Coupe with 4 doors and rear wheel drive.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

That is the corrected figure for the Manual model the auto is 197 and NEITHER has come close on they dyno charts I have seen.

W88 - you would need a REALLY large bridgeport to come anywhere near 300NA on one. Then the idle would be like 15-1800 and the drivablilty goes to hell (it has nothing below about 5K). I have seen the redline numerous times nothing special.

I dont think it will be very special (though they will sell well). A big part of the Rotary failures are due to low oil and overheating.

A 20B would be nice but that is a semi-exotic motor and production levels (even with RX-8) would be so low that parts would cost you a fortune. The NA 20B produces about 265HP easily, a turbo 20B can produce upwards of 1000HP if done correctly. A low stress 20BT would be in the 450HP range.

I am with you. I would take the G35 with the sport package and aero trim. Likely to last a lot longer and hold its value much better.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The styling of the RX-8 is, um, different. My neighbor has one, and it hasn't grown on me.

For an alternate, how about a used M3? Good cars, but I don't know about back-seat space. Just an idea.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:10 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Matt H, That is why I mentioned cutting down on the daily driving factor. Also the biggest power out of the Rotaries is a Periphial Port and bypass the Steel Side Housings intake ports and do everything on the Rotor housing. The problem with that was you had absoulutely no idle. Well, somehow Mazda solved that problem because the Renisis engine (Which still has 13B stamped on the Rotor Housings) is a periphial port engine. That is how I assumed they developed 250hp out of a streetable 2 rotor. That and a compeltely redesigned and lighter rotor. I would imagine that headers and an exhaust on the RX-8 would show tremendous gains in power. Just like they do with the 2nd Gen N/A Cars.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Ideally, you are right, the p-port would be best but you pointed out the problem already. I noticed the 13B stamp as well (but I think that refers to the 1.3L "B" style not the engine code). The lighter rotors will help and the p-port will help. I have my doubts as to how long they are going to last. The exhaust does free up power but at the expense of ungodly noise. My vert is just incredibly loud.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:20 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Yes, at WOT my RX is very loud. I have the RB headers that go into the factory Cat Housing with a straight pipe welded through it to the HKS cat back exhasut. Someday I will probably replace that with dual straight pipes back to a single muffler.

Although, I think the RX is quiter than my 951 with a 3" turbo back exhaust. Although both drone really bad around 4k rpm.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

My setup is custom header/RP downpipe (no cats at all)/CS single. It is REALLY REALLY REALLY loud. Sounds damn good though, real deep.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:36 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Obviously, you require a full service rear passenger compartment. I'd recommend the STi instead. In majority of cases Mazda is not reknown for long term durability...ask me how I know
Old 10-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Peter hit it head on, I dont think the STi is as nice to look at or nearly as luxurious but it does all major, well you know. Handle very well, if you like the AWD bit.

Quick Reply: OT: Why I am going for RX8 over G35