Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Why I am going for RX8 over G35

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim - what size/kind of turbo are you going to use? I would think a rather small unit with low boost pressure but I could be wrong. Have you worked on others before (i.e. 2nd/3rd gen?) Since they are going to have a turbo version (supposedly, soon from the people at Mazda I talked to) could the customer just not wait?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:25 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are putting on a full T-4 unit.The rotary can produce enough exhaust gas energy to spool up the turbo.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:27 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Ok,

It is a special T-4 unit.Take a look at my avatar. Notice the compressor wheel? It is carved out of a solid billet;^)
Old 10-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I guess some people have money to burn. What are the power expectations?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:17 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Originally posted by Redshift
My experience is that high HP/low torque engines are horrible at hauling people. Just see what happens when you load two or three of your friends in that new RX8. You'll probably end up jettisoning them to regain some power.
Nothing can make or break the driving experience like torque (especially the lack thereof). Here's an example:

'99 E36 M3: 240 HP, 237 lb/ft torque @ 3750 RPM

'02 Honda S 2000: 240 HP, 153 lb/ft torque @ 7200 RPM

Identical horsepower, but totally different animals. The Bimmer is a kick to drive. Abundant torque down low. You can blast out of the hole in the M3 and squirt through openings in traffic. In comparison, you have to drive the Honda as if you hate it. Punch the throttle in the Honda, and be prepared to wait--forever. There's nothing enjoyable about revving a car to seven grand before the fun starts, particularly if you live near or in the city. Sure the Honda handles well, has great steering, and a superb gearbox, but its lack of torque makes it a chore to drive. Honda finally recognized the problem and is bumping up torque on the '04's.

My point is this: For real world driving, torque is more important than HP. If you need to haul people, get the Infiniti. Its got great torque and will be much easier (and more fun) to drive. Another plus is the Nissan's 3.5L six, which is a proven engine that's been around for a while.

Last edited by gatorbait; 10-16-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Blueman33
Pro

"For real world driving, torque is more important than HP."

well, to an extent. A dodge Ram 3500 5.9ltr turbo diesel has 555lbs of torque, but is a 7000 lb clunk that does 60 in over 12 seconds. : )

actually i agree, the g35 is a punchy car, just don't like th rear seat...the truck is way over the top, reminds me of htat dodge commercial hwere the redneck says, "...yooo gotta hemi in that thing"
Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Blueman, seat of the pants the Mazda feels sloooooow although I'll admit to only ridden in the car. I test drove the Infiniti and walked away impressed with materials and the car's handling. If you say the numbers stack up to the Infiniti I'll have to believe you. Obviously, you like the looks of the RX8 so I'll give you that.

What I won't give you is re-sale. The G35 seems to be the FIRST Infiniti to hold value after you drive it off the lot. I've yet to see a Mazda hold respectable values for long.

If you like the RX8 then enjoy it. You'll be exclusive as I've only seen a handful in GNO.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:51 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

wait for the VW golf R32 (available Dec 03)
- 240hp V6
- AWD
- 6-speed
- same sport suspension as on the german R32
- small
- lightweight
- rear seat

she's quick AND functional. probably not your taste, but i thought i'd throw in my vote.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:56 AM
Blueman33
Pro

No VW Golf. Not my look.

The Evo and STi are great perfomers, but not my style.

If I went for the four door sedan that rocks I would likely look for a 330i BMW slightly used I( to make budget) or the G35 4 door new.

I test drove the RX8 twice, once with only me and the sales person and flew like a rocket, I braked exceedingly hard and stopped on a dime. Flew from one lane to the other without feeling tossed. The steering was much more responsive than i'm used to in the 951. Second test drive was in wet conditions with girlfriend and sales person...I couldnpt be as aggressive, but had the chance to challenge the brakes and they stopped on a dime in the rain. The car is vigorous. Torque people hate it like the s2000...but I love the S2000, corners great, energetic, good brakes, and can easily keep up with a Boxster or G35 or (fill in blank).

So if the EVo was 0-60 in 4 secs would I buy it for a daily driver? No, it's not my style. If I could have a ratty looking bent fender primer colored 951 that did 0-60 in 4 secs or a fine looking one that did 0-60 in 5.65....give me the fine one.

I'll paint my car before putting in a MAF. Many Rennlisters have a higher priority for performance than me.

TO ME, it's not just performance, it's style and the "at home feeling" with the car. So if it's a pickup truck souped up to kick everyone's *** and did 0-60 in 4 secs, i don't care, I'd rather have a 356 looking superb doing 0-60 in 10 secs. My balance is style, funtionality, and performance. I like curvy lines, not boxy ones.

Rennlisters complan about only 238 hp at cranke and no torque. It will beat your typical Boxster (non-S) and will eat a 944NA and keep up with our 951's STOCK, before modification, as does the 'no torque' S2000. The car with NO TURBO has the power of our 951's before mod.

To criticize perfomance at 5.8 0-60 (road and track) for 1.3 lte engine and GREAT reviews...........I dont follow.

In this thread you see lots of negatives, but the auto critics give it great reviews.

If the car handles well, brakes well, and has the look I want, any car 0-60 in 7 or less is viable. Miata people love their cars and they are not fast.

And to really stir the roux........the only reason I don't like a PT Turbo is front wheel drive. Otherwise that'd be my choice.

Davio
Old 10-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Matt H
Race Director

David - throw the auto mags out the window and visit www.rx7club.com Remember auto mags rate cars down because they dont have cup-holders. If you have never owned a rotary it would be good reading. This engine is all new (well mostly) and it WILL have some of the same problems. Just look very closely before you jump in because you like the way it looks.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:17 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

Blueman33:

I don't disagree with your reasons for what you want, but I do have to point out that first-year designs, especially from Mazda, tend to have lots of teething pains. If you take a look at some of the durability problems seen in the third-generation, some of those problems should never have reached the consumer.

As for the Infinity (Nissan), I have found neither their products nor their engineering very inspiring, so I can't offer anything there...

Quick Reply: OT: Why I am going for RX8 over G35