Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:15 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts
Default Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?

i'm considering putting roughly $3-4k into my 951 and I'm curious where everyone would put that money. i'm looking for performance (suspension, brakes, steering, mounts, exhaust, etc. all done), so i know part will be the turbo and downpipe (currently stock turbo). MAF and injectors will need to be added. With that level of investment, what specific pieces would you put together? is 350hp at all possible or is the budget too low? what are the 'go to' parts these days for the 951?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:25 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You probably saw this link but in case you didn't. Pricing should be available from listed sources.

Hope this is helpful

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ful-links.html
Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Excellent writeup, but I have disagree with

The only time you would want to go to a Standalone EMS is when you have a pretty serious race modified engine that you want your engine to do specific things at certain times where it would be harder to achieve this with a piggyback.
My car is a daily driven NA with nothing crazy done to it, and it's been the best mod I did to the car hands down. It requires a lot of homework but is worth it, if you are willing to be involved in the car at a very technical level.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar scenario as well with a similar budget.

All maintenance is up to date... Suspension is done.

Now, piecing together go fast goodies...

So far this is what I have so far and still need...

Have
- Used low mile LR Super 53 (from Lart) - $750ish
- Fabspeed 3" catbypass pipe - $600 - bought on sale over the holidays.
- Fabspeed 2.75" downpipe - $275 - bought on sale over the holidays
- Tial 38mm wastegate and adapters - $200 - bought used
- LR adj fuel pressure regulator - $75 - bought used

Still Need
- larger injectors - $150ish - probably Siemens 80lb
- Engine Management / MAF / VEMs, etc, probably going VEMs - $1400ish
- Wideband O2 sensor & gauge

Let me know what you end up going with...
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
Excellent writeup, but I have disagree with

My car is a daily driven NA with nothing crazy done to it, and it's been the best mod I did to the car hands down. It requires a lot of homework but is worth it, if you are willing to be involved in the car at a very technical level.

I wrote it in 2012, A few things have changed, But i still stand with the quote. Not everyone has the willpower to do a standalone on a street car. We have 2 perfectly good products to avoid going standalone. Vitesse and Rogue. The rogue DME is a very capable unit and its basically a standalone.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Definitely a MAF or MAP conversion #1
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are going to track the car save some money for seat time and coaching.... nothing more humbling than when you make it to the advanced group thinking you are doing pretty well with speed, then every now and then you have a hot shoe in a spec 944 or a spec Miata all in your mirrors waiting for a point by... it's not all about how much HP you have but how much of that HP can you as a driver use, so a friend tells me cause I wouldn't know anything about that
Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Floyd
If you are going to track the car save some money for seat time and coaching.... nothing more humbling than when you make it to the advanced group thinking you are doing pretty well with speed, then every now and then you have a hot shoe in a spec 944 or a spec Miata all in your mirrors waiting for a point by... it's not all about how much HP you have but how much of that HP can you as a driver use, so a friend tells me cause I wouldn't know anything about that
This is very true.
I have a friend who's a very good driver, he went out on track with another friends car after his session. took 5 seconds off his time. same car. different driver.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i'm considering putting roughly $3-4k into my 951 and I'm curious where everyone would put that money. i'm looking for performance (suspension, brakes, steering, mounts, exhaust, etc. all done), so i know part will be the turbo and downpipe (currently stock turbo). MAF and injectors will need to be added. With that level of investment, what specific pieces would you put together? is 350hp at all possible or is the budget too low? what are the 'go to' parts these days for the 951?
My thing right now is restoring all the items that make the vehicle less desirable. Started with adding bigger turbo, chips/maf, suspension, lsd rear, new tires, brakes, bushings. Those are must haves, then it was gauges, tuning, paint and tuning. Now the more factor turned into installing a more powerful engine, which was the best decision ever as all oil leaks now went away. Now I have time to detail the paint, fix interior up nicely, and drive it way more often without leaking oil on the driveway.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 AM
geno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?

Just my .02
But also consider packing a comprehensive brake and suspension refresh (whatever is needed).
Bushings, new fluid, new pads, etc.
Clutch hydraulics? Wheel bearings?

Building that into your budget maybe easier on you and your wallet in the long run than letting any problems actually develop.

I think you can do 300+ and knock out a lot of the peace of mind projects as well. Especially if you can turn a wrench for an hour or two on the weekends and piece the projects together one by one.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:22 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Floyd
thanks for the suggestion. it's been some years, but i have tons of seat time on the track and autoxing, i instructed for several clubs, and raced in scca and bmwcca. i may be a tad rusty, but i'm relatively confident in my skills.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brantley
I'm in a similar scenario as well with a similar budget.

All maintenance is up to date... Suspension is done.

Now, piecing together go fast goodies...

So far this is what I have so far and still need...

Have
- Used low mile LR Super 53 (from Lart) - $750ish
- Fabspeed 3" catbypass pipe - $600 - bought on sale over the holidays.
- Fabspeed 2.75" downpipe - $275 - bought on sale over the holidays
- Tial 38mm wastegate and adapters - $200 - bought used
- LR adj fuel pressure regulator - $75 - bought used

Still Need

Let me know what you end up going with...
we are very much in the same position, but you are several purchases ahead of me. this is how this decision came about - i'm always looking for the next car to 'experience' and a long-time friend of mine finally said 'i'm surprised you don't build something more for you'. i do mods on all of my cars, but i guess i've never really built something specifically for myself. i agreed it was a good idea and thought i already had the perfect platform for a specific build, so i decided on a limited budget and i'm now considering how worthwhile it will be. i love driving the 951 and another 80-100hp would be very entertaining.

how close are you to putting everything together? definitely post on your progress and completion. i'd be very interested in your results also.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I wrote it in 2012, A few things have changed, But i still stand with the quote. Not everyone has the willpower to do a standalone on a street car. We have 2 perfectly good products to avoid going standalone. Vitesse and Rogue. The rogue DME is a very capable unit and its basically a standalone.
all that information is incredibly valuable to the 951 owner. kudos to you for compiling and presenting all that to the forum!!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:38 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geno
But also consider packing a comprehensive brake and suspension refresh (whatever is needed).
Bushings, new fluid, new pads, etc.
Clutch hydraulics? Wheel bearings?
i've been doing exactly that for the past couple of years - tons of new parts on the car and plenty of money spent.

now, i'm to the point of going after more power and then replacing/repairing what isn't up to the task after that.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy

So far VEMS pnp has proven to be less hassle to install and get running than the products you are referring. No need for modifying factory harness also.
Runs perfectly with whatever configuration you want.

Originally Posted by Brantley
Still Need
Mike, with VEMS you don't need WB sensor or gauge. Because WBO2 sensor is already included in the kit and you can see any mixture info on computer screen or android device. You can add some AIM device (like AIM only VEMS multigauge) if you want and display all data in the 52mm gauge (two fields at a time, button changeable), shows everyhting ECU sees.

Quick Reply: Considering performance upgrades - how would you spend your money?